Kip Tips/Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Katefl2014

Proud Parent
Kip training
Slow Mo Kip Practice

Daughter has been working so hard, she’s close but seems to be arching her head and shoulders back. Telling her to lean forward hasn’t helped. Any other ideas on how she can improve/what she is doing wrong? She’s getting very frustrated since she’s been close for so long, has made it once randomly but then not again since.

She has the two most common kip problems:

1) She initiates the kip too early
2) She grips the bar too tightly.

The second one is pretty simple; if she has the grip of death, her wrists are stuck on the bottom of the bar. If she relaxes her grip, she'll naturally regroup and shift her wrists to the top of the bar as she goes.

The first one is more complicated, but the short version is this: she is pulling her feet up while she's still on the way forward. What she should do is extend the glide all the way until she feels it stall in the front, and bring her feet up for the kip as she starts to swing back the other way.

You are amazing! I read her your advice, and she texted me that she got 5 kips at the end of practice tonight. She said it was the glide part. Thanks so much, I have one happy girl looking forward to Level 4.

She has the two most common kip problems:

1) She initiates the kip too early
2) She grips the bar too tightly.

The second one is pretty simple; if she has the grip of death, her wrists are stuck on the bottom of the bar. If she relaxes her grip, she'll naturally regroup and shift her wrists to the top of the bar as she goes.

The first one is more complicated, but the short version is this: she is pulling her feet up while she's still on the way forward. What she should do is extend the glide all the way until she feels it stall in the front, and bring her feet up for the kip as she starts to swing back the other way.

You are amazing! I read her your advice, and she texted me that she got 5 kips at the end of practice tonight. She said it was the glide part. Thanks so much, I have one happy girl looking forward to Level 4.

Glad I could help!

(Odds are her coaches were already telling her to extend her glide more, but sometimes it helps to hear the same thing from a different person).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back