Kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I made my kip today!!!!!!!!
I figured it was going to be some silly little thing that would make me make it. Turns out, all I had to do was do a straddle glide swing instead of a piked one.
Actually, I had pretty much given up on kips for the day, because I wasn't getting even close with a piked swing. I was kind of just messing around with them, and then I remembered my coach saying that she usually does straddled swings. So I figured, why not? Can't hurt. I tried it, and got super close. So I tried again, and I made it! Sure, it looked really sloppy, but I got on top of the bar! Well, my chest was pretty much on the bar, and I just had to muscle it up.
My friend was watching me, and she said I had a ridiculous expression on my face when I did it. I was so shocked! :eek: I jumped off the bar and did a little happy dance.
One of my coaches was across the bar area working with someone else, and my other coach was across the gym. I yelled from on top of the bar to the coach across the bar area, and then we both yelled at the same time to the other coach across the gym. Neither of them had seen me do it, so I did it again for them and made it again! It was another sloppy one, but oh well. It must have looked really silly, a coach and a girl on top of a bar yelling back and forth across the gym, but I was so excited! Then I did another one, and it was sooo much less sloppy!
Actually, I had almost given up on ever making a kip. I had been working on them for over a year, and wasn't getting too much closer. I mean sure, common sense was saying that if I kept working on them, I would eventually make it. But that little voice in my head was telling me if I was going to make it, I would have made it already. That was most of the reason why I was so stunned that I had actually made it. Lesson: perseverance really does pay off!
Thanks to everyone who gave me help on the other thread I had posted a while ago!
Unfortunately, the price I paid for that was getting a huge blood blister from all the kips. Oh well, it was worth it!

Oh my goodness!!

First of all, CONGRATS!!

And second of all, this sounds EXACTLY like my situation two years ago. I was never ever ever close, and my feet would always hit. I only tried them once or twice every other practice because I just figured they were not possible for me. Then one day I just tried one like usual, and figured out I might actually be close. :eek: So, I did another one, and made it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think THAT would happen. Totally know how you're feeling!! Enjoy it!

Congratulations! Always great news to hear when someone gets a hard-earned skill! A sloppy kip is better than no kip at all, and now you have the motivation to keep going and perfect it. Really, I think knowing you CAN do it is at least 75% of the battle.

I will always remember my dd's totally shocked face when she found herself on top of the bar after 4637 (or there-abouts) kip attempts; I bet yours was something like that. Yay for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back