Kips and Glide Swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
My gym class is working on kips. My coach said I would have a beautiful kip if my glide swing was better. What I seem to do almost constantly is get my shoulders higher then the bar when jumping into my glide swing, and instead of gliding out straight then putting my toes to the bar, I glide out in a poistion comparable to a V-sit. I really want to get my kip so I can I have that in my bar routine instead of a darn pullover, so please help! Thank you so much!
gymgirl808:)

Sadly, there's no real secret here... Work on your glide.

My suggestion, stand on a box in a hollow shape standing only on your heels (so your toes are off). Remember, shoulders to your ears, head in. To start, simply pick up your feet to glide out. Straddle or pike, your choice. I'm sure your coach can help you with this...

Good luck!

Ryan

I never had a good glide swing (I'm taller than most gymnasts first learning a kip) but I got my kip fairly easily. Do you do a V-position even when you're not trying to kip out of it? If so, you shouldn't be trying a kip until you can get a proper glide swing. If it only happens when you try to kip, then you are "getting ahead of yourself" and you need to go back to just glide swings. Try having a friend shout "Now!" when you're suppposed to bring your toes to the bar. Also, remember that the glide swing SWINGS! You should feel a nice little "swing" or momentum when you do your glide, and EXTEND through your hips at the end.

Thank you. It is only when I try my kip that I V-postion, so I'll try having them shout "Now!". Thank you to everyone that has helped me out! I have gymnastics tomorrow night, so maybe I will do a better glide swing and maybe even get my kip!

:)

sounds like you gto some pretty good advice! I do know of a couple drills that may help your body position in your glide swing. stand with you hands on the low bar and carefully walk your feet forward until you're extended with you hands on the bar. Yor hips will be bent, so raiseyour hips up to the fully extended position ten times. This will help you feel what your body needs to do in order to perfect your glide swing. Also, wghen you try your kip, try to imagine thatthere is a mat above you on your glide. Think of bumping your hips on that mat before you bring your toesd up. Sorry ifthat was a little confusing :/ best of luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back