WAG Kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So, i'm getting my kip on low bar more and more consistent and i want to work kips on high bar. Is there a difference between how a low bar and high bar kip should be performed?

low bar is from a pike or straddle glide swing, high bar is from a tight straight body jump, but the rest is the same

It is quite similar except that the timing is a little different because you are coming from a bigger swing. Make sure that you keep a hollow body when you are jumping to the high bar for the kip. You don't want to tap (like for a tap swing) if you're doing a kip, but just keep that tight hollow body shape. You will feel that the timing is different, it feels a bit different, but it's still the same skill.

When you jump from low to high bar stay hollow. from that point act like your feet are kind of stuck in the mud. you will slowly straighten as you move under the bar. Start to push the bar back so your shoulders are opening as you glide (the same way they open for glide kips). At this point you will be is a slight arch, do the kip from here. It's kind of hard to describe on a forum but I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back