WAG kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's not necessary to have a pullover to learn a kip.

How they are taught just depends on the coach. I work them both together.

It's not necessary to have a pullover to learn a kip.

How they are taught just depends on the coach. I work them both together.
interesting...youd think that the way some are coached that you MUST perfect the pullover before kipping, atleast thats the impression I had.

A good chin up pullover on high bar is one of the prerequisites I look for to see if a gymnast is ready to work kips.

The strength required for both skills have a number of similarities.

Coaches will look for different things, but I look for good leg lifts, good glide swings, good V snaps, good dish rocks and a chin up pullover on high bar.

Teaching kips before a gymnast is physically ready can be detrimental. Bad habits may creep in during the learning process to make up for strength issues and once the Kip is learned it will be very hard to undo those habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBS
Interesting...youd think that the way some are coached that you MUST perfect the pullover before kipping, atleast thats the impression I had.

As @Aussie_coach is stating… the strength of the pullover has both the arm and core strength needed for the kip. We rarely have kids working kips that don’t already have a pullover.

Sometimes if I have a group of hotshot 4-6 years olds… I’ll be teaching pullovers and kips at the same time. In this scenario there is no need for the strength as I can physically spot them through the movement of the kip to help them learn the rhythm.

Below is my base bar curriculum… you will notice the pullover first…

Last edited:
The technique for a pullover and for a kip are totally unrelated. But the strength required is similar. If you're not strong enough for a pullover, odds are you'll struggle with a kip.

Yes… exactly!

As @Aussie_coach is stating… the strength of the pullover has both the arm and core strength needed for the kip. We rarely have kids working kips that don’t already have a pullover.

Sometimes if I have a group of hotshot 4-6 years olds… I’ll be teaching pullovers and kips at the same time. In this scenario there is no need for the strength as I can physically spot them through the movement of the kip to help them learn the rhythm.

Below is my base bar curriculum… you will notice the pullover first…

Just have to say, I like the single-leg jam kip in one of the silver routines. :)

Just have to say, I like the single-leg jam kip in one of the silver routines. :)
Ha... yes... we actually find that they get their kips much faster with that. It starts off as a bent leg multiple pump and swing struggle up... but it works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back