WAG Knee question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
If you tear the ligaments in your knee can it happen over time or does it just tend to happen suddenly with one traumatic action?

I ask because I've had knee pain for months. I did have it looked it and was told it was "jumpers knee" and just to R.I.C.E and tape or use a brace all of which I do. The pain is not really bad just nagging and at times burning. But I'm now really fearful that I'll land wrong and it will give out. So really I'm curious if that happens with these overuse things or if I'm just being silly and my fears are dumb.

My dd had the same issue...her ortho made her stop all practicing for 3-5 weeks because of overuse. She had an MRI which revealed damage to knee cartilage and rest is only thing to heal it. She was able to still go to practice to work upper body and flexibility.

I ask because I've had knee pain for months. I did have it looked it and was told it was "jumpers knee" and just to R.I.C.E and tape or use a brace all of which I do. The pain is not really bad just nagging and at times burning. But I'm now really fearful that I'll land wrong and it will give out. So really I'm curious if that happens with these overuse things or if I'm just being silly and my fears are dumb.

I think you're not suppose to resume normal activity or sports activity until the pain is gone. Also jumper's knee has different levels of injury. It could progressively get worse if activity causing injury is continued. I'd get better instructions from your doctor.

Just had to butt in here and agree with coachp that overuse injuries may not be as common, but it is DEFINITELY still a possibility. Trust me. I would know. I'd been having minor to moderate knee pain for a long time (think months, maybe a year). No traumatic injury, just...gradual pain after years of competitive gymnastics, running, biking, and trampoline. Finally broke down and got it MRI'ed and it turns out, VERY long story made shorter, I had a torn meniscus...in both knees. Not sure how that works (my ortho was more than a little impressed!). But, moral of the story, get an MRI if possible, and sooner rather than later, especially if R.I.C.E. isn't working (I tried it for way too long before taking further steps). Just my two cents. But whatever you do, don't panic. :) I promise, it's not as bad as you think it will be.

A few days before I blew my knee out, I landed a front aerial short and hyperextended it a little. It was a bit sore to begin with and then I destroyed it. I don't know how much it had to do with tearing my ACL, but I have become very sensitive to knees. Take it easy and don't overwork it until it's feeling better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back