L3 Beam Dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So as of this week, I'm now coaching the level 3s at our gym -- coming in right at the end of competition season! Friday I did beam and bars with them and was very disappointed to see that not one of them can properly do their beam dismount (cartwheel to handstand hollow body down to floor). They still have at least one meet left and I have some drills and plans for correcting this, but wanted any other ideas that you might have. The problem with half of them is that the just don't get straight up to the handstand before pulling down. The other half do the typical kick too far over the beam so they are already coming down from the moment that they leave the beam. Fortunately, I don't have any that are piking down! Any ideas? Thanks :)

We have placed an 8" mat up against a floor beam have them cartwheel coach catches feet and holds at handstand then have them fall flat onto tummy with entire body to hit mat at once

If you want them to hold the handstand, spot them on a few. They may not know what it actually feels like to hit that handstand. I like the idea gymmom has.

Lots of practicing cartwheeling into a handstand on floor, too. Have them cartwheel into a handstand and hold it. This way they have a feel for where their body is supposed to be to hold a handstand.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back