WAG L4 mobility score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Poor coaching leads to low scores.

Low hours do not.

I agree to some extent that it's not all about the number of hours. However, there is one gym in my area that is doing only 7 hours per week for level 4 and most of the girls are not hitting 34 all season. I know the coaches there and think they are very good. So I do think that low hours can be the issue in some cases.

I am curious about this from an age perspective. I have not been to a meet yet, but our daughter will be competing Level3 at age 6 and if she continues I am confident she will probably end up Level 4 by age 7. They don't judge younger kids easier though right? This is why awards are given in age groups though. I know there are many seven year olds who can get a 34, but I would imagine on average it would be a smaller percentage than say 9 year olds? Does it mean they don't know the skills or can't do them safely? Not necessarily, but they may lack body awareness/maturity that an older child might have. Just musing so no one jump on me. I really know very little about how these things work.

I am curious about this from an age perspective. I have not been to a meet yet, but our daughter will be competing Level3 at age 6 and if she continues I am confident she will probably end up Level 4 by age 7. They don't judge younger kids easier though right? This is why awards are given in age groups though. I know there are many seven year olds who can get a 34, but I would imagine on average it would be a smaller percentage than say 9 year olds? Does it mean they don't know the skills or can't do them safely? Not necessarily, but they may lack body awareness/maturity that an older child might have. Just musing so no one jump on me. I really know very little about how these things work.
The judges judge based on ability and not age. They do age groups so the girls are awarded based on kids their age.

Honestly, I think where most 7 year olds struggle in Level 4 would be on vault. It's harder for the little ones to generate enough power to get a good jump on the springboard and block on the table. Vault scores were brutal for our smaller Level 4s this year.

All ages are judged the same. In fact a judge has no idea what age the child is as she competes. .

There are many factors as to how a child score. The hours they go, how they train, how they are coached and of course the individual kid.

Go to mymeetscores.com. Call up completed meets and look up state meets. There are kids who score anywhere from 29/30 to 38 and higher in all age groups.

Honestly, I think where most 7 year olds struggle in Level 4 would be on vault. It's harder for the little ones to generate enough power to get a good jump on the springboard and block on the table. Vault scores were brutal for our smaller Level 4s this year.
For mine it was bars. Ugh.

Definitely not judged easier with younger kids. My DD just finished L4 as a 7 year old and there were many times I wished they had known her age and shown some mercy on her! I will say, though, that the youngest 2 age groups seemed to pretty consistently be the toughest competition. There are some great gyms that train really tough really young and consistently turned out 36-37 in Child A. Our gym expects all kids, regardless of age, to score a 36 to train for the next level, with only rare exception. I think they feel that if the age is the issue, then it is fine for younger ones to repeat the level. I did notice that the 9-10 year olds on our team definitely did better (37-38) but even the 7 (mine) and 8 year olds (majority of the team) were able to squeak out the 36 at least a few times over the season, so its possible. We noticed that bars was actually the bigger killer for the little ones than the vault...most kids who made it over and landed on their feet got 8.5+

Wow--where we are, vault seems to be the killer at L4. I have seen a lot of kids get over the table and land on their feet and only score 7.5.

Yeah, when my DD was a L4 bars came along for her and most of the kids. Vault on the other hand... soooo.many.7s that season!:eek: And I know that for my DD she safely made it over the table and landed on 2 feet every time; but out of 7 meets (including state) she only broke an 8 twice!

My dd is a six year old level 3 this season, and will be moving to level 4 next season . She has scored high 35s-36s from the start of the season, and has placed from 2nd-4th in her age group at every meet. Her just turned 8 year old teammate has been in her age division every time, including Fall State. She absolutely knows the skills and performs them beautifully. What I see lacking most from her and the other very young ones are the little details in compulsories that are just harder for her to remember. Her coaches could probably spend more time on these tiny details with her, but, honestly, I am glad that they are choosing to spend more time on uptraining (she got her kip a few months ago!) than drilling the tiny details!

The younger girls tend to score the highest -- many are tops kids.
Not always. Not all gyms do TOPS or even TOPS-like training.
It all depends on the gym and how they determine someone is ready and uptraining done during the season.

At some gyms, if they have 75% of the Level 1 skills (old L1 skill sheet), they move up.
At others, they have to have EVERYTHING for L1 and sometimes some L2 skills.

Dang, I can't believe this thread is 10 pages long....wow. OP, I do hope your girl relaxes, has fun, and just goes for it and pulls it off. Maybe if you tell her the 34 doesn't mean anything because the gym's requirement is 36 anyway, well, then she might get a 35! :) Just a crazy idea, it's late, I ate too many chocs, and now I'm up when I shouldn't be....but I do hope she and the other girls on her team realize it CAN be done.

My little DD is coming out of 3 seasons of excel trying to hit the darn 34 in level 4 in her first JO level. The text errors are no joke...she has the skills but not the details, hoping that at some point the details will fall in place!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back