WAG L4 mobility score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is probably 'some' of 'all' the reasons, if that makes any sense.
And my kid was and is one of those weird ones. I do realize she is an exception to the rule. But Good Lord, the child stunk at compulsories. I don't get why optionals are her thing and where she shines. I am grateful she got those basics. I am sure they have helped and still help. But ooh boy.....there is no comparison in the scores.

I expect my kid to be one of these. Not because of the different nature of optionals, but because she is a late bloomer and we are expecting a big increase in coordination and athletic ability to occur in her early teen years. We have already observed glimpses of this—she made huge improvements in form about a year or two older than some of her teammates did. We just need to keep her making progress on the JO track until then.

Just wanted to update. We are completely gutted, her first meet repeating this year was her best so far and she hasn’t made the 34 yet with one more meet to go! Her highest was right about 33.8.... looks like we will be forced to repeat yet again or I guess try to score out next year. I am to the point where if she said she wanted to quit I would be totoally supportive of her, but she doesn’t and I don’t know if I should start encouraging her to do so. I think we made the wrong decision and should have let her advance to level 5 this year and took the low scores all she was missing was the bwo on beam. I feel like her bent knees and lack of flexibility isn’t going to change no matter how many times she repeats 4 she has all the major skills down and I am at a loss on how to help her

Just wanted to update. We are completely gutted, her first meet repeating this year was her best so far and she hasn’t made the 34 yet with one more meet to go! Her highest was right about 33.8.... looks like we will be forced to repeat yet again or I guess try to score out next year. I am to the point where if she said she wanted to quit I would be totoally supportive of her, but she doesn’t and I don’t know if I should start encouraging her to do so. I think we made the wrong decision and should have let her advance to level 5 this year and took the low scores all she was missing was the bwo on beam. I feel like her bent knees and lack of flexibility isn’t going to change no matter how many times she repeats 4 she has all the major skills down and I am at a loss on how to help her

I can't imagine how tough and frustrating this has been. A couple of questions and thoughts. What are her coaches saying? What does SHE want to do? Just because it didn't happen this season, doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. I hear you on the bent knees and flexibility, but with age and growth, everything about their bodies changes. I am wondering if you can talk to her coaches, make sure she gets moved up with her training group to work L5 skills, while paying special attention during the off season to her flexibility and form as well as the BWO. Then work hard at those early meets in the fall.

To that end, in our region, there are a couple of meets that are known as "mobility" meets, for girls who are jumping levels. Generally I have found the scoring there to be a bit more generous. Can your gym get her into one of those to move her forward?

I can't imagine how tough and frustrating this has been. A couple of questions and thoughts. What are her coaches saying? What does SHE want to do? Just because it didn't happen this season, doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. I hear you on the bent knees and flexibility, but with age and growth, everything about their bodies changes. I am wondering if you can talk to her coaches, make sure she gets moved up with her training group to work L5 skills, while paying special attention during the off season to her flexibility and form as well as the BWO. Then work hard at those early meets in the fall.

To that end, in our region, there are a couple of meets that are known as "mobility" meets, for girls who are jumping levels. Generally I have found the scoring there to be a bit more generous. Can your gym get her into one of those to move her forward?

Thanks so much for replying. I really like the feedback and support on this forum.

As far as how she feels she doesn’t seem to effected. She continues to be happy at every meet no matter the outcome. I think it was the first time since she has been doing gymnastics where I felt like she should be upset, but she wasnt she was just happy that her bars score finally went up?! She does work hard at practice and I think she really doesn’t care about placements or medals. She did get more medals this year then she ever has but now I feel its not really what motivates her. And was it really worth repeating for ... it comes down to the fact that she just really loves gymnastics! I don’t think she will quit even if I try to encourage her, maybe this is a lesson for me not so much her lol

At the start of the season I brought up my concern about her getting a 34 the coach said for sure she will get it. Now that we are down to the last meet I will definitely need to talk with them about the possibility of what will happen next season.

Thanks so much for replying. I really like the feedback and support on this forum.

As far as how she feels she doesn’t seem to effected. She continues to be happy at every meet no matter the outcome. I think it was the first time since she has been doing gymnastics where I felt like she should be upset, but she wasnt she was just happy that her bars score finally went up?! She does work hard at practice and I think she really doesn’t care about placements or medals. She did get more medals this year then she ever has but now I feel its not really what motivates her. And was it really worth repeating for ... it comes down to the fact that she just really loves gymnastics! I don’t think she will quit even if I try to encourage her, maybe this is a lesson for me not so much her lol

At the start of the season I brought up my concern about her getting a 34 the coach said for sure she will get it. Now that we are down to the last meet I will definitely need to talk with them about the possibility of what will happen next season.
I think based on what you said, it's time to speak with the coaches just so you know what they're thinking. BUT, I think you're right, it's more of a lesson for you than your DD. My DD was not a very competitive level 4. It was a rough year because she was an awesome Level 3, especially on bars. What I learned from it was really a gift in some ways. It made me see that my DD didn't do gymnastics just because she was placing, she did it because she really truly loved the sport. It's so much time and money, I am so happy we were able to all learn that she is in it for what I consider, the right reason. She didn't have an issue scoring out, (I know the mobility score was lower but she still would not have had an issue with the 34 score either) and moved on to a better Level 5, a more competitive level 6 and now at level 7, she's a truly a competitive gymnast again. Let your DD take the lead with this one. If she still wants to compete, I would let her and just praise her for her perseverance!

Well, my kid is one of those gymnasts who can totally do the skills, just not into perfecting them. Drives me batty as I am a coach and work really hard on making “my” developmental and compulsory kids focus on the form issues..! But, I cannot change my daughters slight knee bends or not fully pointed toes for her, nor can her coaches, only she can eventually decide that being tenthed to death isn’t fun..!
With the new requirements, she would still be in L4 (which obviously means she would have quit or went to Xcel a long time ago). She has only scored above a 34 ONE time in L5. She usually scores in the high 33’s. She is now a first season L8 (after 2 seasons in L7) and I will be happy if she makes the State qualifying score, lol! She will definitely stay L8 next year too, the mobility score changed from 8-9 as well and there is absolutely no way she will accomplish that this season. I’m good with that, she’s good with that, there is lots of stuff within L8 guidelines for her to occupy herself with for another year or two..!
Being stuck in compulsories however is an entirely different thing....
Hope your DD gets her score!

I'm sorry you have to go through this stress! But I'm happy your daughter doesn't seem to be sharing in it. My suggestion would be to try to relax. It doesn't sound like she's on an elite or college track so the whole point of gymnastics is to have fun while gaining the health and mental benefits of recreational competition. So, if she's still having fun and improving, she's successful! Her progress might not be what you hoped but it sounds like it is what she hoped for. Levels matter very little with a remarkably mature attitude like your daughter's! Good luck to her at the last meet!

I feel compelled to warn you that this attitude of hers and her insistence on focusing on improvements using herself as her own yardstick are the sorts of thing that lead to longevity and success in the sport.

Well, my kid is one of those gymnasts who can totally do the skills, just not into perfecting them. Drives me batty as I am a coach and work really hard on making “my” developmental and compulsory kids focus on the form issues..! But, I cannot change my daughters slight knee bends or not fully pointed toes for her, nor can her coaches, only she can eventually decide that being tenthed to death isn’t fun..!
With the new requirements, she would still be in L4 (which obviously means she would have quit or went to Xcel a long time ago). She has only scored above a 34 ONE time in L5. She usually scores in the high 33’s. She is now a first season L8 (after 2 seasons in L7) and I will be happy if she makes the State qualifying score, lol! She will definitely stay L8 next year too, the mobility score changed from 8-9 as well and there is absolutely no way she will accomplish that this season. I’m good with that, she’s good with that, there is lots of stuff within L8 guidelines for her to occupy herself with for another year or two..!
Being stuck in compulsories however is an entirely different thing....
Hope your DD gets he
I feel compelled to warn you that this attitude of hers and her insistence on focusing on improvements using herself as her own yardstick are the sorts of thing that lead to longevity and success in the sport.

Thank you, I really need to just buckle up and let this be her thing. I think in a way I am being selfish with my own feelings of this. I have to step back and be like this is her sport if she loves it and is happy then I just need to support her!

I realize I am VERY late to the party here but I want to clarify. As of this year ALL level 4s in ALL states must have at least one 34 AA to be able to move out of 4 correct? Some of the powers that be at DD gym are saying that’s not true. As far as I can read it is absolutely true. At DD gym they typically compete 4 and test out of 5 to then compete 6. If this was the path then they would have to have gotten a 34 AA one time at least as a 4 and then achieve a 32 at one meet as a lvl 5 correct??

I realize I am VERY late to the party here but I want to clarify. As of this year ALL level 4s in ALL states must have at least one 34 AA to be able to move out of 4 correct? Some of the powers that be at DD gym are saying that’s not true. As far as I can read it is absolutely true. At DD gym they typically compete 4 and test out of 5 to then compete 6. If this was the path then they would have to have gotten a 34 AA one time at least as a 4 and then achieve a 32 at one meet as a lvl 5 correct??
That is correct. The only official caveat to that is that high school girls over the age of 14 can petition to optionals with a skills video.

Yes, and it went into effect back in the fall I believe. So could be that some kids are moving up with a lower score if they got it prior to that.

There is still time. She can use her meets as a time to perform (instead of compete) for the crowd and not worry about judges or scores. Our Level 4s and 5s go out to their events like they are about to dance the Nutcracker--smiling, dramatic, with a flair before they start. They are all smiling and loving it. Even the strugglers on those levels have great presentation and smile throughout. Take the focus off the score and put the focus on her abilities. She can do this!

(I see your post that she does just enjoy gymnastics, so I edited my post. But I still believe she can do this. Good luck to her!)

There is still time. She can use her meets as a time to perform (instead of compete) for the crowd and not worry about judges or scores. Our Level 4s and 5s go out to their events like they are about to dance the Nutcracker--smiling, dramatic, with a flair before they start. They are all smiling and loving it. Even the strugglers on those levels have great presentation and smile throughout. Take the focus off the score and put the focus on her abilities. She can do this!

(I see your post that she does just enjoy gymnastics, so I edited my post. But I still believe she can do this. Good luck to her!)

Thank you! We have two weeks. I am going to take your advice and tell her to just have fun and as long as she does her best then I will be proud of her no matter what happens! I am going to be a nervous wreck however lol will need to try my best to hide that from her lol

Well she didn’t get it . It was her lowest AA of the season, the scores for all the girls where generally lower today... she still ended up placing in two events so she was happy. I don’t know why she doesn’t get too upset I know she really wanted to make states but I guess she just takes it in stride. The coach mentioned something about petitioning her out next season... although I am not holding out too much hope as it seems from the comments that it’s not possible to do that?? We will see either way she isn’t going to give up lol she just loves it too much!

Well she didn’t get it . It was her lowest AA of the season, the scores for all the girls where generally lower today... she still ended up placing in two events so she was happy. I don’t know why she doesn’t get too upset I know she really wanted to make states but I guess she just takes it in stride. The coach mentioned something about petitioning her out next season... although I am not holding out too much hope as it seems from the comments that it’s not possible to do that?? We will see either way she isn’t going to give up lol she just loves it too much!
Maybe the coach meant SCORING her out. That would be more likely to happen.

Well we are getting another shot, coach asked if she wanted to go to another smaller meet in April, she believes the judging will be much better. In a way I am like no I am done lol but I know my daughter wants to do it so here we go again! Hopefully the judges are a bit more forgiving.... a 7.60 at this last meet was good enough for 4th place for my daughter it was her lowest bar score of the year the last meet she scored 8.35 and I believe this one was better. The subjective ness of this sport really bugs me! And if a gymnasts scores middle of the pack most of the time shouldn’t they be ready to move up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back