WAG L4 mobility score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think there are just so many paths, and none are wrong, they are just different. But to skip compulsories so to speak, is rare. To score out while doing compulsories isn't as rare, but isn't as common as those who put in their time there. And even if you slide through compulsories one way or another, if it is done without harping on those basics, there are holes that the coaches then need to try to fill in optionals....sometimes this is possible, sometimes not.

I just told my kid about the mobility score. She said thank God I got out of compulsories before that got enforced.
Fwiw, my kid dearly abhorred the compulsories....and she sucked at them.
But looking back, she is glad she had them. They truly made her a good optional gymnast.
(she is even more glad that she is out of them, lol....to this day, she can't do that *#&! mill circle....but it did help her with learning to shift those wrists)

(she is even more glad that she is out of them, lol....to this day, she can't do that *#&! mill circle....but it did help her with learning to shift those wrists)
Lol, we have a L8 that still occasionally attempts a mill circle, HOPING some day, she will get it, lol!
But then, we have a girl on the High School team that I remember having the best mill circle on team in Old Level 4. She can still do it and I jokingly suggested she put it in her high school bar routine, lol. :D She only competed Old L4 (2 years) and Xcel Gold (2 years) before high school.

My daughter is just one of those pathetic follower kids that @John looks down on, so maybe my opinion has no merit. But I see lots of value in compulsories, even though my daughter was a 34/35 gymnast, and not a superstar.

And John, you come in and insult a huge swatch of kids and then accuse others of bullying you, when no one said anything insulting about your kid? Your post is completely obnoxious and I hope you don’t openly treat people IRL the same way you do on this board.

@LindyHopper thank you for understanding.

My daughter is not better than anyone if any thought that was my message, apologies.

Compulsory skills are great and need to be learned and perfected. My aversions to compulsory routines: Does hand and arm placement as you dance hold importance? Does your present after a skill really need to be judged? Does how far you push your chest out and lift your chin really matter? I wonder if concentrating on these scripted things takes time away from skill acquisition.

Everyone who has thought out the path their child is taking and feels good about that path I applaud you, you are doing an incredible job. I am not sure I am happy with the path my daughter has taken or will take in the future. Until two years ago I thought gymnastics was a fun after-school activity, like clay club. Now, gymnastics keeps me up at nights thinking and pondering what ifs. I had a nightmare 1.5 years ago. Its message was this. My Daughter is 14 and she comes to me and says, dad, why did you let me stay at "that gym" you didn't let me attempt to reach for my dreams. Since that night I have consumed gymnastics whenever I can, trying to learn as much as possible.

Things I have learned:
There are no guarantees in gymnastics or life.
Coach, Gymnast, and parents must fit each other and must work as a team.
Most of the greats had high-level skills by their early teens.
There is talent people are born with things like running speed and having little fears.
Skills can be learned by most with enough practice and fortitude.

Lastly a forum and its posts are nothing more than the posters opinions. Anyone who let'a another's post on a forum anger them should self inspect. Possibly there is guilt in the heart.

To me, gymnastics is more than skills. Presentation, dance etc. is important. The required contractions in level 4 and 5 make so much sense to me, as I see kid after kid do everything arched (leaps turns, posoes etc.). That is just not fun to watch. Leaps with your back arched, butt out and knee bent are not pretty gymnastics. Yes, gymnastics should as pretty as it is powerful. It is more than just stringing skills together. Also, those kids I know who could not score a 34 in level 4 usually did not have a good foundation on the skills. Is it better to do a cartwheel on beam with straight legs rather than bent, what about a consistent kip with straight arms and legs together? The answer is yes. Done right compulsories are about leaning proper technique, a foundation that can be built on. Yes super talented kids learn skills fast and early, but even they can benefit from learning to do a scripted routine and presenting the details.

@LindyHopper

Compulsory skills are great and need to be learned and perfected. My aversions to compulsory routines: Does hand and arm placement as you dance hold importance? Does your present after a skill really need to be judged? Does how far you push your chest out and lift your chin really matter? I wonder if concentrating on these scripted things takes time away from .
These things actually do matter a great deal in optionals, and you can, and do get docked on posture, presentation, and mere presence. Its the nature of the sport.

Wow. So you can post rude things about someone else’s children, but if that angers the people whose child you have insulted, you think that is a a sign the parent feels guilty that your insult was on target? At least your arrogance is consistent.

And posture and body position are crucial to being a successful gymnast.

I do not believe I spoke badly about anyone's child. If I did or something was interpreted that way apologies.

Does hand and arm placement as you dance hold importance? Does your present after a skill really need to be judged? Does how far you push your chest out and lift your chin really matter? I wonder if concentrating on these scripted things takes time away from skill acquisition. I ......, trying to learn as much as possible.

Yes, the devil is in the details. I realize you haven't been around JO long so perhaps you haven't seen it yet.

But there will be meets when you wonder why someone who fell or had a major bobble got on the podium, perhaps even first place while other kids who hit all their skills did not.
It will be because the devil was in the details.

When you shake your head after watching a child fall off the beam and still score a 9.4-9.6. Or a kid who while they don't have a giant but gets their handstand to vertical and has nice form, you know those leg, arm, shape things.......And you wonder how they beat another kid, maybe even your kid. It was those pesky chin, chest arm and leggy things that you don't deem a big thing.

Me, I have seen first hand the above. My kid when we changed gyms. Her father and I pondering at meets how her team mates were scoring better with a "mistake". Yet she hit her skills. She did not have the details, yet. Fortunately she was young enough and the next year it was her who could place with a fall or a bobble. She had the chin, arm, chest, leg thingys.

If a kid is scoring, 34-36 they likely have the skills. Its the kids scoring, 37-38s that have them with those leg, arm, chest placement thingy's. Those "minor" details.

And the difference between going to regionals and nationals, where the kids get noticed, will come down that pesky devil and his details.

Many kids can chuck skills.

In fact every year at our parents meeting coaches remind us parents that while it looks like the kids aren't learning anything (because most parents tend to evaluate progression as big skills) they are learning a lot. Our coaches say a lot gyms can teach tricks. They teach gymnastics.

The reason its so important to get them younger for big skills is a mental thing. Before they actually understand how hurt they can get. So it becomes muscle memory before they overthink. But they must be learning the details too. That is what those good gyms do. They do both.

Great gymnasts become great because they have the skills, and those scripted things that you have deemed unimportant. Without both, a child will not perhaps as far as they would like.

But all the sloppy details also become muscle memory and are much harder to undo once that too has become muscle memory.

But as you say time will tell.

You were doing great until this!
If a post is angering people, there is probably a reason... and very often NOT guilt in the heart. Insinuating that those who put in their time in compulsories are NOT leaders, but your daughter IS a leader because she scored out (even though she had competition experience before scoring out) can most definitely anger or upset people. I have no guilt in my heart about the path my gymmies have taken, but that comment of yours really did irk me.

Also, those details are important (even though I call them piddly - thankfully text errors don't exist once a gymnast leaves compulsories... judges do judge "lines" and "prettiness" of routines).

I do not believe I spoke badly about anyone's child. If I did or something was interpreted that way apologies.
You didn't directly speak badly about anyone's child. What made people upset was the implication that because their gymmies competed in compulsory gymnastics, those girls were only "followers", unlike your daughter who, because she skipped compulsory gymnastics, is a "leader". I don't think it was your intention to make that implication. However, I also understand how parents made that inference.

You were doing great until this!
If a post is angering people, there is probably a reason... and very often NOT guilt in the heart. Insinuating that those who put in their time in compulsories are NOT leaders, but your daughter IS a leader because she scored out (even though she had competition experience before scoring out) can most definitely anger or upset people. I have no guilt in my heart about the path my gymmies have taken, but that comment of yours really did irk me.
Oops! Missed this post. And I LOVE the first sentence in it.

@LindyHopper thank you for understanding.

My daughter is not better than anyone if any thought that was my message, apologies.

Compulsory skills are great and need to be learned and perfected. My aversions to compulsory routines: Does hand and arm placement as you dance hold importance? Does your present after a skill really need to be judged? Does how far you push your chest out and lift your chin really matter? I wonder if concentrating on these scripted things takes time away from skill acquisition.

Everyone who has thought out the path their child is taking and feels good about that path I applaud you, you are doing an incredible job. I am not sure I am happy with the path my daughter has taken or will take in the future. Until two years ago I thought gymnastics was a fun after-school activity, like clay club. Now, gymnastics keeps me up at nights thinking and pondering what ifs. I had a nightmare 1.5 years ago. Its message was this. My Daughter is 14 and she comes to me and says, dad, why did you let me stay at "that gym" you didn't let me attempt to reach for my dreams. Since that night I have consumed gymnastics whenever I can, trying to learn as much as possible.

Things I have learned:
There are no guarantees in gymnastics or life.
Coach, Gymnast, and parents must fit each other and must work as a team.
Most of the greats had high-level skills by their early teens.
There is talent people are born with things like running speed and having little fears.
Skills can be learned by most with enough practice and fortitude.

Lastly a forum and its posts are nothing more than the posters opinions. Anyone who let'a another's post on a forum anger them should self inspect. Possibly there is guilt in the heart.

None of these things are judged or deducted. When dance that isn't required--ie: specific skill-- is sometimes performed a little differently, we chalk it up to interpretation. No one takes off because a chin isn't "high enough," etc. But, pointed toes, bent knees, focus, body position throughout, tightness, high toe.... these things are judged and are continued to be judged all the way to elite. If anyone has every told you that the things you mentioned get deducted, they are mistaken.

Does anyone know what would happen if my daughter repeated 4 this year even though she met the previous mobility score to move to 5? We wanted her to get another year at 4 to get better however she hasn’t yet met the new move up score and was about .20 off at the last meet! I am starting to get nervous she may not get the new mobility score and be stuck at level 4 for another year! She has all her 5 skills except the back walkover on beam, and she does really struggle with straight legs leaps and flexibility overall but has made big progress since last year!

Does anyone know what would happen if my daughter repeated 4 this year even though she met the previous mobility score to move to 5? We wanted her to get another year at 4 to get better however she hasn’t yet met the new move up score and was about .20 off at the last meet! I am starting to get nervous she may not get the new mobility score and be stuck at level 4 for another year! She has all her 5 skills except the back walkover on beam, and she does really struggle with straight legs leaps and flexibility overall but has made big progress since last year!
Did she make a 34 her first year at level 4?

Reactions: sce
Did she make a 34 her first year at level 4?
No she got a 32.80 last year which 32 was the mobility score for last season, however we decided not to move her to 5 because she clearly needed another year to get the basics better and boost her confidence! So technically she could have done level 5 this year, I am just nervous now she won’t get the 34 and have to repeat again.

No she got a 32.80 last year which 32 was the mobility score for last season, however we decided not to move her to 5 because she clearly needed another year to get the basics better and boost her confidence! So technically she could have done level 5 this year, I am just nervous now she won’t get the 34 and have to repeat again.
She will have to get the 34 :( And last year the mobility score was only 31.
We have a gymnast on our team in the same boat. Competed L4 last year and made the mobility score. Only missing clear hip circle on bars. Repeated to boost confidence and get the basics better. Hasnt scored even a 33 yet. :( She does NOT want to repeat again. She has 4-5 meets left to get the 34.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back