WAG L4 mobility score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Petition is not an option. This said, i know of smaller teams who jist move girls along even if they dont hit the target number...and no one seems to notice or care. It happens. Our gym doesnt do it though.

Petition is not an option. This said, i know of smaller teams who jist move girls along even if they dont hit the target number...and no one seems to notice or care. It happens. Our gym doesnt do it though.
I don't think this happens much any more. There is new meet tracking software that is used for meet entries to catch things like this. If a gym moves a girl up without meeting the criteria, it puts the entire gym in jeopardy. I asked about a gymnast that never scored out of old 5 and 6 but went right to level 7, and I was told that if it were true and they were found out, that the entire meet she competed in would lose its sanction, and none of the scores earned there could count towards any qualifying scores. That may or may not be true, but it was from a pretty reliable source.

Don't worry yet, OP, if she has a couple meets left she may just get that score. But maybe there is something she is not getting or is leaving out that is keeping her from scoring better? Is there a way to get a critique from a judge so that you have a point of reference? Another thought (this is not popular, I know, but just trying to be real) if she does not get the score in Level 4 is that would you really want her to move to Level 5? Level 5 is much more difficult than 4, there are more skills, harder skills, longer routines, and more deductions. Even trying to score out of 5 can be a challenge.

Another thought (this is not popular, I know, but just trying to be real) if she does not get the score in Level 4 is that would you really want her to move to Level 5? Level 5 is much more difficult than 4, there are more skills, harder skills, longer routines, and more deductions. Even trying to score out of 5 can be a challenge.
We had a L4 that never scored over 32.9 last season.
This season she is L5 and has already scored 33.0 (which is pretty high in our area).

I don't think this happens much any more. There is new meet tracking software that is used for meet entries to catch things like this. If a gym moves a girl up without meeting the criteria, it puts the entire gym in jeopardy. I asked about a gymnast that never scored out of old 5 and 6 but went right to level 7, and I was told that if it were true and they were found out, that the entire meet she competed in would lose its sanction, and none of the scores earned there could count towards any qualifying scores. That may or may not be true, but it was from a pretty reliable source.

Don't worry yet, OP, if she has a couple meets left she may just get that score. But maybe there is something she is not getting or is leaving out that is keeping her from scoring better? Is there a way to get a critique from a judge so that you have a point of reference? Another thought (this is not popular, I know, but just trying to be real) if she does not get the score in Level 4 is that would you really want her to move to Level 5? Level 5 is much more difficult than 4, there are more skills, harder skills, longer routines, and more deductions. Even trying to score out of 5 can be a challenge.
I really think it’s her form and a lot of details but her bars are also hindering her to! She is strong and I have been told she is good at the bars lol but she has only scored a 7.8 so far this season, her casts are week and her feet come apart she still struggles to keep her legs straight but she is the only one in her group that can do a clear hip so who knows! I set her up with some privates once a week to see if it will help! She has gotten so much better this past year and can even do a round of back handspring back lay out on the floor safely! She loves gymnastics and I just hate to see her so close and not be able to move up next year and I worry this will frustrate her and she will want to quit!

I do think a 32 is too low because I know she was def not ready for 5 this year,,.. but a 34 for her is going to be tough, I know she will never be a top of the podium gymnast but she works super hard and loves gymnasitics!! I really trust her gym I don’t feel they allow the girls to chuck a skill until they feel they can safely do it with good form!

She will have to get the 34 :( And last year the mobility score was only 31.
We have a gymnast on our team in the same boat. Competed L4 last year and made the mobility score. Only missing clear hip circle on bars. Repeated to boost confidence and get the basics better. Hasnt scored even a 33 yet. :( She does NOT want to repeat again. She has 4-5 meets left to get the 34.

In our area a few gyms held score out meets like the weekend before the change so that girls could only need the 31 and then at least according to the parents these kids are now about to score out of 5 and move to 6. At a minimum the plan is to have them do 5. Are they able to use the less than 34 score because they haven't competed L4 after their score out meet? I kind of assumed that if you had a 31 or higher by that date that you could move up, even if you continued doing some L4 meets in the fall.

In our area a few gyms held score out meets like the weekend before the change so that girls could only need the 31 and then at least according to the parents these kids are now about to score out of 5 and move to 6. At a minimum the plan is to have them do 5. Are they able to use the less than 34 score because they haven't competed L4 after their score out meet? I kind of assumed that if you had a 31 or higher by that date that you could move up, even if you continued doing some L4 meets in the fall.
I thought so too- I also had figured that people who scored out last season could move up at any point this season and not just by the first meet. Couldn’t anyone who got last seasons score last season move up during the last regular meet of this season? It doesn’t make sense otherwise, really.

Reactions: sce
nope. if you chose to continue L4 this season, you had to meet the new score :(

nope. if you chose to continue L4 this season, you had to meet the new score :(
Wow. I have no opinion at all about what the score should be, but that is just wrong. If a 31 was good enough to move to L5 for the first meet of the season, it should be the same for the entirety of this season. It’s now January- if a child simply hadn’t competed this season yet they’d be good to go..but the started a couple of months ago so they’re stuck. Blah.

I really think it’s her form and a lot of details but her bars are also hindering her to! She is strong and I have been told she is good at the bars lol but she has only scored a 7.8 so far this season, her casts are week and her feet come apart she still struggles to keep her legs straight but she is the only one in her group that can do a clear hip so who knows! I set her up with some privates once a week to see if it will help! She has gotten so much better this past year and can even do a round of back handspring back lay out on the floor safely! She loves gymnastics and I just hate to see her so close and not be able to move up next year and I worry this will frustrate her and she will want to quit!
I think she'll get it, she's so close!

I thought so too- I also had figured that people who scored out last season could move up at any point this season and not just by the first meet. Couldn’t anyone who got last seasons score last season move up during the last regular meet of this season? It doesn’t make sense otherwise, really.
Nope, lol... BUT if a gymnast scored a 32 at OLD L4, then they can skip straight to L6 according to the new chart.
JO Mobility.jpg

Wow. I have no opinion at all about what the score should be, but that is just wrong. If a 31 was good enough to move to L5 for the first meet of the season, it should be the same for the entirety of this season. It’s now January- if a child simply hadn’t competed this season yet they’d be good to go..but the started a couple of months ago so they’re stuck. Blah.
It started August 1. If they competed L4 after July 31, they needed the 34.

Maybe it varies by state, region (and of course some meets are known to give away some high scores), but a 34 to me doesn't seem high. Like 32 is an 8 average. You can rock floor with a 9.4 and and get 7 something and get a 32. The straight arm kip, hanging kip, cartwheel o n beam... so many places for deductions, but im fine with a 34 mobility score. Many gyms require a 36, or higher multiple times to move out of compulsories. Of course you can leave a gym to get out of level 4, but what does it do in the long run?

Of course you can leave a gym to get out of level 4, but what does it do in the long run?
For some girls, in the long run, it keeps them in the sport. And they move on and end up in Optionals... and stay in the sport through high school graduation.
Getting stuck for multiple years in a compulsory level is a reason some girls leave the sport.

This is probably true...but for the tiny teams with not as much going on, it still happens. We know a few girls from a small gym who moved up without meeting the mobility score. They are doing ok, nothing too exciting, but no one seems to know or care.

Yeaaah. I'm aware of a few girls who came up through Xcel and scored out of 5 but not 4, and went to 7. I'm curious to see if anyone finds out or cares. In their case it's because their coach truly isn't up on the rules and thought level 4 was optional.

Someone mentioned being surprised that some people consider a 34 high -it's not that it should be high for any gymnast -but that there's an issue with the training/program that some gyms are providing. I find in my area at least a few gyms that want to offer team programs but are low on hours and don't hire good coaches who know what they are doing (and in at least one case it's not uncommon for a coach with no team experience to fill in for months at a time). So these girls are not getting what a compulsory program requires and many gymnasts can't get a 34 as a result. I can see where there might be issues with the new mobility scores but I also think it could be good in that it might cause some programs to evaluate if they need to change their ways or to nix the entire program in exchange for x cel or just rec (both of which also should ideally have very good training too).

I find in my area at least a few gyms that want to offer team programs but are low on hours and don't hire good coaches who know what they are doing (and in at least one case it's not uncommon for a coach with no team experience to fill in for months at a time).

Poor coaching leads to low scores.

Low hours do not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back