Parents L5 fracture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter has an l5 fracture is currently in brace. Our orthopedics gave us no guidance, except brace her and come back when pain is gone. I am at a loss as to what to do or not to do. She hasn't done any gymnastics for 3 weeks and pain is only when doing back walkovers and such.

Yes she is doing PT but he hasn't spoken to the doctor. Hard to find sports doctor in new York especially in specializing in gymnastics .

My daughter has an l5 fracture is currently in brace. Our orthopedics gave us no guidance, except brace her and come back when pain is gone. I am at a loss as to what to do or not to do. She hasn't done any gymnastics for 3 weeks and pain is only when doing back walkovers and such.

DDs best friend is just coming back from L5 fracture. She has been off pretty much all gymnastics since December and cannot fill return until May. A PT that "speaks gymnastics" is key - writing out a plan for slow return to gymnastics. (Wrote out a list of skills she could/could not do and when she can start doing things)
And yes part of the direction is don't do anything that hurts. It's a long slow road, but you only have 1 back - so you want to make sure it's 100% better otherwise they"lol be back down that road again.

Not sure if this helps.

My my dd injured herself (she's 7) I spoke to both pediatric PT's and PT's with a sports background (not specifically sports PT's). I would have loved to find an orthopedic sports PT that specialized in gymnastics but I just don't think there are any around here. I found that the PT's with sports background were more aligned with my dd's goals/ambitions. The pediatric PT's more often dealt with developmental type issues.

I would expect a long time in the brace, at minimum of 6 weeks just from my experience (not a doctor)! Sounds like you definitely need more guidance but I also think she's got several more weeks before she even thinks about doing anything involving her back. Conditioning, strength, flexibility (not back)! should all be fine as long as she keeps that brace on and doesn't do impact. Again just my experience but yes, please seek a new MD opinion! Hoping for a full recovery for her. I know how hard this is!

Reactions: sce
I would expect a long time in the brace, at minimum of 6 weeks just from my experience (not a doctor)! Sounds like you definitely need more guidance but I also think she's got several more weeks before she even thinks about doing anything involving her back. Conditioning, strength, flexibility (not back)! should all be fine as long as she keeps that brace on and doesn't do impact. Again just my experience but yes, please seek a new MD opinion! Hoping for a full recovery for her. I know how hard this is!
Thx! She does PT so she works on some stuff. What would you consider flexibility "training "?

Reactions: sce
The stretching might also help prevent the problem re-occurring in the future. Back problems often arise from not enough flexibility in hips and/or shoulders, forcing them to compensate with the lower back. So any exercises that stretch shoulders and hip flexor would help.
But really, a PT should explain all of that and instruct on what she should or shouldn't be doing.

Agree with finding a sports medicine doc for additional guidance! Usually they will let the kids do some flexibility, stretching etc... as long as it doesn't hurt at all. Usually need to avoid any activity involving bending backwards for 8-12 weeks. So no back walkovers, bridges, backwards tumbling, etc...

Hmm. My DD was restricted from everything except walking to the bathroom ( couldn't even take walks for exercise) for 3 months. Then 3 months PT strengthening core muscles, THEN finally back in gym for conditioning for 6 weeks before cleared for gym. That was from a pediatric sports medicine doc.

Hmm. My DD was restricted from everything except walking to the bathroom ( couldn't even take walks for exercise) for 3 months. Then 3 months PT strengthening core muscles, THEN finally back in gym for conditioning for 6 weeks before cleared for gym. That was from a pediatric sports medicine doc.
Did the fracture affect her daily life? My daughter's fracture only hurts during gymnastics movements, maybe that is the difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back