Parents L5 fracture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If this is a fresh fracture and not an old break, then all activity likely needs to stop. Even stretching and core conditioning can put stress on the spine. My ds had a pars fracture in his L5 and even though it was old when we finally figured out what was going on, doing any PT at all was causing inflammation and pain. It wasn't until he did nothing for a few months that he was then able to do PT pain free. Good luck! Have you asked your gym if they know of a good PT or sports med DR? They might have a lead.

If this is a fresh fracture and not an old break, then all activity likely needs to stop. Even stretching and core conditioning can put stress on the spine. My ds had a pars fracture in his L5 and even though it was old when we finally figured out what was going on, doing any PT at all was causing inflammation and pain. It wasn't until he did nothing for a few months that he was then able to do PT pain free. Good luck! Have you asked your gym if they know of a good PT or sports med DR? They might have a lead.
She has no pain even when doing PT...she does that 2x week. We are using a PT who has worked with athletes hoping this makes a difference. This is all so confusing.

My daughter has an l5 fracture is currently in brace. Our orthopedics gave us no guidance, except brace her and come back when pain is gone. I am at a loss as to what to do or not to do. She hasn't done any gymnastics for 3 weeks and pain is only when doing back walkovers and such.
How's your daughter doing? My ODD also has an L5 fracture but was very lucky to find an excellent sports doctor and a PT that was a former gymnast who underwent surgery because of spinal fusion. She helped my DD relearn the back tumbling so she doesn't put so much strain on her lower back. She also gave her a lot of stretching exercises to improve her shoulder flexibility. She has been over a year back in the gym pain free. I hope the same recovery for your DD!

How's your daughter doing? My ODD also has an L5 fracture but was very lucky to find an excellent sports doctor and a PT that was a former gymnast who underwent surgery because of spinal fusion. She helped my DD relearn the back tumbling so she doesn't put so much strain on her lower back. She also gave her a lot of stretching exercises to improve her shoulder flexibility. She has been over a year back in the gym pain free. I hope the same recovery for your DD!
She is doing well thank God...we also found sports and PT that deal with gymnast so I am very happy. She is pain free and learning how to properly use her core in order to protect her back. She isn't fully back but is happy to be around her team doing what she can.

She is doing well thank God...we also found sports and PT that deal with gymnast so I am very happy. She is pain free and learning how to properly use her core in order to protect her back. She isn't fully back but is happy to be around her team doing what she can.
I am so glad to hear that! And, yes, I completely agree that building a strong core is key to avoid further injury to the back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back