Parents L6 Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

langd0y

Proud Parent
L6 is the first optional and a huge task is obviously picking the floor music. I'm sure parents have a preference what their daughters will use. It's pretty overwhelming. I'm wondering what the crowd has done when picking.

1. Did you use JumpTwist? I find almost all of their song execution to be like ringtones and very amatuer-ish. Wife has a preference there, but the tin-ish sounds is turning me off
2. Did you use energymmusic.com? A bit better, but execution still doesn't seem clear and smooth
3. I like floorexpressmusic.com but they don't have recent stuff. Their cuts seem more professional.
4. Did you get a custom cut of a song?
5. Do you think the song choice helps with the judges?

My dd is on her 3rd optional floor routine. We used floorexpressmusic for all 3 songs. She did listen to music on those 3 sites but all of her favorites ended up being from floorexpress.
She did not get a custom cut for any of the songs. There are many lengths to choose from.
I don't think that the judges have a preference. There are so many types of music that we hear at meets. I think what really matters is that the song works with the gymnast's strengths and the choreography works well with the music.
Good luck with choosing a song!

I do want to argue that sometimes the music chosen can affect judging. I distinctly remember working at a judges table and hearing the judges decide to give a higher score to a child because they thought that her floor music (jingle bells) was cute. That obviously is not technically allowed, but judges are allowed to take off for artistry. So long as the music matches the gymnast's dance abilities, anything should be fine.

My daughter is getting ready for her first year of optionals. Music choice process was AWFUL. Everything we sent the coach was too common, too old, too fast or someone else already had it. Finally the head coach found a piece of music from a Disney movie he thought would work and I did a custom cut myself (which was an experience). Now that it’s done and she has the choreography we love it, but it was a stressful process.

My daughter is very into music. She listened to all the pre-fab floor music on the internet but ultimately decided on a selection from the actual soundtrack of a favorite movie. The original score has a full, rich sound. It's also nice that no one else has the same music.

The first optional routine we paid to have the music cut. It was ok, but we were not overly impressed, so the second optional routine we cut ourselves. It takes decent software (there are free ones available online), consideration of the flow of the routine, and a lot of time and effort to get good transitions, but we were much happier with the result, and daughter got the specific portions of the music she wanted.

The best advice I can offer is to make sure your daughter enjoys the music and the style of choreography that will go along with it because her ability to perform, not the music itself, should be what "helps with the judges".

thanks for the replies so far. It's a big decision when you have to hear this so many times o_O , lol. Seems like people cut their own as the best option. I was hoping someone would tell me to stay away from some of the sites I mentioned, because to me, the execution of the songs sound horrible, but my wife doesn't hear it.

thanks for the replies so far. It's a big decision when you have to hear this so many times o_O , lol. Seems like people cut their own as the best option. I was hoping someone would tell me to stay away from some of the sites I mentioned, because to me, the execution of the songs sound horrible, but my wife doesn't hear it.
Our choreographer cuts custom music for each kid based on their personality. We take dance with her once a week at the gym so she gets to know everyone’s strengths and weaknesses in dance, and if your kid suggests something interesting to her she’ll mix it in (my daughters best friend wanted some Irish folk music in there and it turned out so catchy and amazing).

My daughter can’t dance for the life of her so she mixed her music that has very clear transition points since she has a difficult time picking up those points in other music.

The youngest girl on our level is tiiiiiiiny and just turned 8 this week, her music has this one dramatic Disney villains feel part to it and then it goes into this fast paced cutesy thing. It’s gonna score well because it matches her exactly

If you are going to do custom music, I would check with your gym to see what requirements they have. Our gym is very strict on licensing so we are not allowed to just find free music somewhere and cut it ourselves.

We've listened to them all but have used floorexpressmusic each time. Try Jeremy James Miranda site; lots there to choose from.

We listened to both energym and floormusicexpress. We ended up choosing from energym. At level 6, I wouldn’t worry too much about custom music. As long as your DD likes the music and the choreography and her personality match it, she will be fine.

We've listened to them all but have used floorexpressmusic each time. Try Jeremy James Miranda site; lots there to choose from.
The music on Jeremy James Miranda's site isn't licensed, so I'd avoid that.... It's on par with ripping the music from Youtube.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back