Parents L7 Floor Routine Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
I am hoping that someone who knows the requirements of L7 can help me with something that I can't seem to get an answer for from either my dd or her coach. Her L7 floor routine keeps losing its start value. In the past 4 meets I have noticed that the judges lowered her start value to 9.7. Prior to that I am not sure if this routine lost the sv because I didn't notice. She is the only one on her team who this is happening to. Her coach said it was one thing and in the next meet the sv was still lowered even with the correction. I think that I am more frustrated than my dd, but I feel like as an optional, something in her routine should be adjusted. However, nothing has changed. Also, this is a new floor routine with new music this season. It has the same skills as her old routine/music but is scoring consistently lower (even considering the lower sv) than the old routine. If you have any good critiques I would love to hear them. This is a link to a video of the floor routine:

She does a full turn into the corner followed by a half turn to come out. A 1.5 turn would be a B if she can do that instead.

Or is she can change her second jump into a straddle leap 180, that would also be a B.

I also thought that in level 7 if you do 3 passes that the last pass has to be a full. She is probably taking some deductions there.

There is no required full in JO level 7, whether you do 2 or 3 passes.
I understand that a full is not required at level 7, it is not even required at level 8. Fulls are allowed at level 7 though and I thought the rule was if you do 3 passes at 7, then one has to be a full. She did 3 passes.

I understand that a full is not required at level 7, it is not even required at level 8. Fulls are allowed at level 7 though and I thought the rule was if you do 3 passes at 7, then one has to be a full. She did 3 passes.
My daughter did 3 passes in L7 and none were a full. She did back layout for the first pass, front tumbling for the 2nd pass, and back tuck for the 3rd pass. She did not have a lower start value.

She only has one B in her routine(switch leap) but she needs 2, that's why she is starting from a 9.7. Did she previously do a different leap pass or a 1 1/2 turn?

This.
Also I know for our routines, especially DD's floor routine like your DD she has a lot of little foot work. Your DD is doing a lot of flat footed dance moves which the judges may find sloppy and deduct.
At 2 meets this season it was a difference of getting an 8.9 and 9.2. It could be so many little things in these levels. I know we were deducted for tiny things like flat feet, low tumbling (which we could not figure out because our girls have high tumbling), routine personality.

Your DD's routine is very pretty but if you didn't tell me anything about her level, I would assume she was a level 6. If this is her second season with this routine, I would expect it to feel more commanding, bigger.

Do all your level 7's do 3 passes? The more passes, the more chances for deductions.

My daughter did 3 passes in L7 and none were a full. She did back layout for the first pass, front tumbling for the 2nd pass, and back tuck for the 3rd pass. She did not have a lower start value.

Thank you for clarifying! I wasn't sure but thought that could have been why.

As others have stated, improved footwork and sharpness/confidence in the movements will help the overall score. But missing a B skill (unless something was missed or altered) is the reason the SV is lowered. It is also rather concerning that the coaches don't know this? I'm rather shocked by that?

In her front tumbling pass, can she change the salto from a tuck position to a pike? I believe that is also a B skill. Agreed that is what is probably lowering her SV.

Reactions: sce
I wish there was a way to delete a comment here. I think I posted incorrect info about the front pike not being a B, and I'd like to delete it rather than leaving an incorrect answer. Sorry about that.

The back tuck, pike and layout are As. Front is a different story.

Thank you for all of the great feedback! It is so helpful. She did change her music and routine this year. Her jump/leap series was altered. She originally had a full in the routine, but it was taken out after she missed almost 3 months with a shoulder injury followed by an ankle injury. This was her first meet back so she definitely wasn't as sharp as she can be.

It does concern me that her coach wouldn't recognize that a B skill is missing. That seems like an easy fix to help her scores. She only has one meet remaining this season. Hopefully, this can be corrected!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back