WAG L8, A, B, C skills per event

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

How many A, B skills per event (floor, bars, beam)

Its my understanding they can have 1 C per event. is that correct?

Is there a max amount of Bs allowed?

Any minimum A, B skills?

My kid does HS gym and will be looking to upgrade her L8 routines. She is working some L9 things and she can use them for HS. But she would like to use the skills she gets for both if possible so she doesn’t have completely different routines.

So for instance can she do a double back dismount for L8 bars?
A full wolf turn or even a one and a half on beam?
Can she add more Bs, less As?

HS coach is not up on L8 requirements and club coach doesnt know HS code.

TIA

How many A, B skills per event (floor, bars, beam)

Its my understanding they can have 1 C per event. is that correct?

Is there a max amount of Bs allowed?

Any minimum A, B skills?

My kid does HS gym and will be looking to upgrade her L8 routines. She is working some L9 things and she can use them for HS. But she would like to use the skills she gets for both if possible so she doesn’t have completely different routines.

So for instance can she do a double back dismount for L8 bars?
A full wolf turn or even a one and a half on beam?
Can she add more Bs, less As?

HS coach is not up on L8 requirements and club coach doesnt know HS code.

TIA
My kids are still in compulsories but this cheat sheet looks like it has what you are looking for.

And also this:

the cheat sheet above is great. I used it throught dd's JOs time to help me understand the rules and scoring better. Yes to the double back off bars. Bs count for As. Not sure what the wolf turn is valued at but since the elites do it on beam, assuming at least a C there? No max skills, as long as they fit within the time limit

I thought that Level 8 was 4 As, 4 Bs, and 1 C is allowed but not required and will count as a B. Extra Bs=As.
I have seen double backs and full wolf turns at Level 8, too.
That was my thinking she could 7 Bs and 1 C and it would count as 4As and 4Bs

And of course don’t do them if you can’t do them well. But at least she can take that info and discuss with both coaches

the cheat sheet above is great. I used it throught dd's JOs time to help me understand the rules and scoring better. Yes to the double back off bars. Bs count for As. Not sure what the wolf turn is valued at but since the elites do it on beam, assuming at least a C there? No max skills, as long as they fit within the time limit
I think the wolf turn is a C if it’s a 1 and a half, otherwise it’s a B. But I can’t swear to that.

My other question is her current beam dismount is CW BT. She is working a RO BT just wonder if that would make a difference in her score

My other question is her current beam dismount is CW BT. She is working a RO BT just wonder if that would make a difference in her score
I don't know about high school, but yes for Level 8 it makes a difference. CW (A) + BT (A) is a compositional deduction of .05. The RO (B) + BT (A) is up to level. You need B acro + A dismount, or any B dismount to be up to level. My daughter did CW (A) + tucked full (B) dismount in Level 8 because she wasn't feeling the RO.

I don't know about high school, but yes for Level 8 it makes a difference. CW (A) + BT (A) is a compositional deduction of .05. The RO (B) + BT (A) is up to level. You need B acro + A dismount, or any B dismount to be up to level. My daughter did CW (A) + tucked full (B) dismount in Level 8 because she wasn't feeling the RO.
Thanks I walk a fine line with my kid who isn’t a big talker. And that’s good information to have. So it’s not just B/A but how they combine. I kind of assumed the CW isn’t up to level and the RO would be. I know she is working it.

Much like yours mine isn’t feeling the RO. So it’s possible to CW into the dismount and upgrade the flippy thing for up to level? Is that what you are saying? I think mine is working a twist.

Thanks

Thanks I walk a fine line with my kid who isn’t a big talker. And that’s good information to have. So it’s not just B/A but how they combine. I kind of assumed the CW isn’t up to level and the RO would be. I know she is working it.

Much like yours mine isn’t feeling the RO. So it’s possible to CW into the dismount and upgrade the flippy thing for up to level? Is that what you are saying? I think mine is working a twist.

Thanks
not sure this is workable for her but my dd hated ROs on the beam and preferred the BHS option. She still does a BHS (1.5LO) dismount in college

Thanks
Yes, adding a 1/2 or full twist to a back tuck/pike/stretch dismount makes it a B.

Much like yours mine isn’t feeling the RO.

For what it is worth — my DD hated the RO when she started working on it. She told me there was no way she would ever compete it. 6 months later it was in her routine.

You just never know. Sometimes skills come around, sometimes they don’t.

At the end of the day a 0.05 up to level deduction isn’t that big if she doesn’t feel comfortable with the skill.

She can stick with the CW and just add more difficulty to the dismount to the dismount when she is ready. And like others have said there are options to work around the RO if she never gets it.

She can stick with the CW and just add more difficulty to the dismount to the dismount when she is ready. And like others have said there are options to work around the RO if she never gets it.
Thanks. Even though she is doing “optionals”. She gets certain things in her head and that’s it. The BHS BHS thing. Took years truly, many ”options” presented to her. She always rejected. High school gymnastics and a different coach seemed to open her mind to other things. So that helps.

And she has become competitive. We have a small gym with a larger compulsory program but not a lot of optional girls. So we rarely have enough gymnasts per level for a team award fot the higher levels. But high school is all about team. And the skill level of the girls go from barely L4 type skills to L10/9. She is one of the top girls in our section and one of the oldest. So she knows she has to up her game, even if she never does L9 at club. So she is finally considering “options”. And shh don’t tell her (she is stubborn about not doing 9) but she may get the L9 stuff anyway. Mostly I just want her healthy.
My personal goal for her gymnastics is to never have to see her ortho doc again.:cool:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back