L8 Beam Flight Series Options??????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Boatergal

Proud Parent
My daughter is recovering from back issues. Her series was a BHS/BHS (which she did well) but switched to a Cartwheel/RO to heal. She is feeling better and would like to switch to a series that had ONE Back Handspring in it so her back doesn't flare up again. She feels like the CW/RO connection is lame. (Back walkovers are out of the question)

Doing a BHS/RO or RO/BHS are both to hard. Any ideas on what is a legit L8 connection that includes a BHS.

Thanks!

She could do cartwheel step-together, BHS as she trains towards a RO/BHS (would could be her Level 9 series).

Thanks, I will let her know about that option.
She wants to do a BHS/BTuck in L9. She stays on the beam better in a straight line.

Thanks, I will let her know about that option.
She wants to do a BHS/BTuck in L9. She stays on the beam better in a straight line.

Also a good L9 series. Having coached girls with back issues, I'm sure she will find the series that works best and hurts least.

Ideally if she can get a back extension roll then she could do back extension roll to handstand, step down BHS. This would be the closest to BHS BHS without using an arching skill, however the back roll to handstand can be hard for some.

I would tend towards thinking if she can't do BHS BHS she probably shouldn't do one BHS either. I would find it preferable as a coach to just limit the training of the BHS BHS rather than waste time learning a lot of a series with one BHS and end up doing just as many BHSs in the end. My thought would be limit it to a few per week, train handstand step down BHS the rest of the time, and then work the BHS BT for L9.

If she does a CW BHS then she will probably need to do a bad leg cartwheel or do a gainer BHS since a right leg CW lands with the left leg first and to me there is absolutely no point messing around trying to do a beam BHS with the nondominant leg in front. This is what I mean by ending up wasting time...to me I just don't see a point. When I've dealt with this issue my approach is to just limit the work altogether, train more handstand drills, do what we can and then let the cards fall where they will as far as the series being competition ready.

That is a good option too. I will have her get with the coach and come up with a plan. The season is short. She may just have to suck it up for a couple months.

I was going to say frontwalkover BHS but then realized that may not go well either. Anyway, last year we had a girl in our gym do cartwheel BHS. If she is daring she could also try FHS BHS. Feel Better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back