Parents L8 Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Dd competed this past Sunday. Definitely not her best meet, but we had still had fun! We drove down on Saturday and got there just in time to go meet up with her teammates and we went out to dinner. The girls had a great time and just enjoyed hanging, as did us parents.

Report time on Sunday was 10:35, funny time - not 10:30, not 10:40, but 10:35.... anyways!

Dd had 34 girls in her age group - yes, 34, that's quite the number! I think for awards they either went out 11 or 12 places. Dd once again started on floor.

Floor - I thought her floor routine was on par with what she usually does. She said that she liked the floor, she thought that it was fairly bouncy and that she got good height on her tumbling - I'll agree with that. Her score was 9.35. Since it was the very beginning of the meet, I wasn't sure how this score would do. I tried to look up at the score board every now and then and it seemed that she was holding. She ended up with 2nd place.

Vault - Vault was going to be pretty tense this meet because 2 of our girls were flipping the Yurchenko for the 1st time. Dd's warm up was not good at all. She starts to unravel. She's getting upset and HC takes her to the side and has a talk with her. This is the exact reason why dd is doing 8 and not 9 - mental reasons! When things are going her way and she has control, she is amazing. When things are not going her way, she starts to panic. She did both vaults and landed on her feet for both of them, first vault was much better and I think that is what she was scored on. Her score 8.6 - gulp, kinda low, yikes!!! No placement - just missed though, so no biggie!

Bars - How could she top the last meets routine??? Well, she couldn't. I think she was still crazed from vault. She casted up to do pirouette, had to come back down and kip cast again, she got her pirouette in that time, it was decent, but I know she was just trying to get it done. She squats, jumps to HB goes to do clear hip, hits first HS, clear hips and then peels off the bar (just like she did so many times last year!) She gets back up finishes with her 2 giants and flyaway. Her score was 8.65 - oh well, bummer! Funny thing is even with the fall she placed 7th.

Beam - last again! Now beam really confused me. She finally hit a routine, no falls, some bobbles here and there, but a good solid routine. Her score really surprised me, I guess I thought it should of been higher - she got an 8.625 which was good enough for 7th place. I was kinda bummed though, she's scored higher this year with falls. I don't know, maybe I'm just being mom and thought it was better than it really was!

AA - 35.225, she placed 6th. When we went to awards was the first time I got a chance to talk to her and she said she did really bad. I told her that I didn't think so, that scores were pretty low all around for the whole meet, wait and see. I think she is encouraged and is making lemonade out of lemons because she said to me yesterday that she did not have a good meet and that she was still able to pull off 6th place (out of 34 girls no less). I said you are exactly right. We did have a conversation about how she can not let vault or any event for that matter get to her. She has to believe in herself and stay glued together. I honestly think that her mind is her biggest challenge in the sport of gymnastics, it's not her skills, she can achieve skills, but she can not always win the battle of the brain!

Next meet, this Sunday - it's the 1st Sectional. Not really concerned how she does as long as she makes a 32 AA. Haven't put the video together yet, will soon and then I'll get it posted!

Great bar score even with a fall! Wow and that floor score!! Amazing. can't wait to see that video! Alex always likes to watch her videos! Best of luck at sectionals!! And I totally understand the mind games these girls go through. Alex always struggles with beam!

6th AA out of 34 and she thinks she did badly???!!!! Funny how hard they can be on themselves.

Great job and I don't think she'll have any toruble at the sectionals, do you?

I have to say that she thought she did badly based on her performance before awards. She was very happy with 6th considering how she did and like I said, she told me that even without doing her best, she got a good AA placement.

Do I think she will have any trouble at Sectionals, absolutely not. I just want her to go into it relaxed and I'd like to see her take control of herself. I want her to believe in herself and know that she can face whatever adversity that comes her way (she really can, I know it, I just wish she would realize it!) ;) Mom, the big cheerleader here... :p

6th AA out of 34 and she thinks she did badly???!!!! Funny how hard they can be on themselves.

Great job and I don't think she'll have any toruble at the sectionals, do you?

I think she did great. L8 is some tough stuff. That was one huge age group, so weird. Even half that would have been nice. ?? Gymnastics is such a mental sport. I hope she can learn to see what an amazing gymnast she is and believe in herself. It really is more than half the battle with gym stuff.

I'm so glad that she is making lemonade, lol. It sounds like she had a rough meet (for her standards) but was still able to place so well out of soOo many! I think it's experiences such as these that make the great ones even more enjoyable. If you don't experience some lows the highs just seem like level ground.

You probably didn't want to hear that, heh! I honestly don't mean anything rude by it, if it comes off that way. I just think that this experience can go a long way in letting her enjoy the "highs" even that much more :D

I totally hear what you are saying and agree! :D

I'm so glad that she is making lemonade, lol. It sounds like she had a rough meet (for her standards) but was still able to place so well out of soOo many! I think it's experiences such as these that make the great ones even more enjoyable. If you don't experience some lows the highs just seem like level ground.

You probably didn't want to hear that, heh! I honestly don't mean anything rude by it, if it comes off that way. I just think that this experience can go a long way in letting her enjoy the "highs" even that much more :D

Great job. 6th place out of 34 is fantastic.

My Dd is the same way. She can get 1st place bu tif she isn't happy with the score or if she made a mistake then it doesn't matter. They are way too hard on themselves.

Ok - I haven't gotten the video done yet, but I have some really bad news!

Tuesday night dd broke the 5th metatarsal on her left foot at practice. :( We were in the ER on Tuesday night and at the Orthopedic on Wednesday. She is casted up to below her knee for 4 weeks. She is upset as she really wants to compete. There is a good chance that her season is over and then there is a glimmer of small hope that the coaches could get her petitioned into States (weekend of 3/20.) She could be ready for 3/20, but there is a process that is followed and I am not sure if they would make an exception for her. If she were to have qualifed to Regionals last yr, it wouldn't of been an issue, that is one of the exceptions. The coaches think if they petition with her current scores from this season (she has been in 4 meets thus far) maybe they would let her in - she has had a phenominal season so far, scores clearly showing that she belongs at States. She definitely deserves to be there, but I do understand that there is a process and we will have to wait and pray that they let her in.

She most likely will miss all of the Sectionals that she would need to attend to qualify. She will be getting her cast off on 2/16 (hopefully) and the last Sectional is the weekend of 2/27. That is cutting it really close. There is also a good chance that she will be going into a boot after the cast boo-hiss!

We are very bummed! Dd is surviving on the this small glimmer of hope with States and I keeping says there is no guarantee, blah, blah, blah. I don't want her get her hopes up and get hurt even more. I do tell her though that what doesn't break us, make us stronger! :p

She's back in the gym starting Monday. We've revved up the protein in the diet, got her on Vitamin C and Arnica. We will take all prayers and good thoughts that she gets to compete at States....;). I do still plan to upload the video from her last meet, but dh just got a new external drive for the computer that I use to make the video, so I'll have to get up there and use it before he gets on it again!

Fingers crossed for dd, thanks! :D

So sorry..hopefully she heals fast! What was she doing at practice? I know they can be doing the easiest skill and get hurt. Every time DD calls me while at practice I think oh no what's broke? lol...As far as petitioned in for regionals, this happened to a gymmie last year at our gym and she got in no problem. Here is hoping for the best! Hugs!!

Oh. what a bummer! I really hope that her foot is okay and that they let her compete at states. It's tough when you have to wait for others to make decisions! Do they wait until closer to states to decide?

Keeping my fingers crossed.

She was doing one of her tumbling passes from her floor routine. She was doing the half-punch front. She over-rotated the half and still went for the punch front. I wasn't there, this all from the coach! I hate the gym call too. First thing I thought when I saw the phone number was well I'm all paid up on meets and stuff. Then when I heard floor coach on other end, I knew it wasn't good.

As for the petitioning, it's not even to Regionals. It's to get petitioned in to compete at States. In our state, you have to get a qualifying score of 32 at a Sectional. There are 3 of them. First one was this coming Sunday, the next 2/7 and the last in 2/28. She definitely misses the 1st 2 and the last one is awfully close to when she gets her cast off. If she had made it to Regionals last yr, she could of been petitioned into States with no questions as long as she was under doctor's care. Being that she didn't qualify last yr, she really should have to go to a Sectional. So, the State would be making an exception if they were to go off her current scores. The coaches think they can do this for her. She's easily scored 35s & 36s with falls at meets. We all know that she belongs at States, but it still may not happen (and I understand, not liking it, but understand the process.)

Thanks for thinking of us, especially her. :)

So sorry..hopefully she heals fast! What was she doing at practice? I know they can be doing the easiest skill and get hurt. Every time DD calls me while at practice I think oh no what's broke? lol...As far as petitioned in for regionals, this happened to a gymmie last year at our gym and she got in no problem. Here is hoping for the best! Hugs!!

I don't know, I don't know anything! I wish that they would try to get the petition in now because the wait is going to kill the both of us.

She is also bummed that she won't be able to compete in Texas. We are still going, but we will just be cheerleaders. Of course, she goes back to the Orthopedic the day after we return from Texas. It will be fun travelling with crutches. I'm trying to figure out how to get a wheelchair in the airport.

She has to be on crutches for the entire time she is in the cast because of the way her foot is casted. It's not flat, it's slightly pointed so she really can't use it other than to rest the cast on her toe. I guess it is kinda good too though because she can't cheat and use her foot. :laughing:

She is so focused on heeling herself that I don't think she would use it even if she could.

Oh. what a bummer! I really hope that her foot is okay and that they let her compete at states. It's tough when you have to wait for others to make decisions! Do they wait until closer to states to decide?

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, she will be heading back to the gym on Monday. As crazy as it sounds she is not one of those off the wall bouncy kind of kids. Lately her time has been focused on her facebook account. :laughing:

She did say to me last night, do you think I might grow while I'm out. i told her maybe (she would really like that!) ;)

Oh, that stinks! Hope she heals quickly and completely! What will you do with all her energy while she is out of the gym?

Oh no!! I am so sorry that this happened. I hope she heals quickly and that the State accepts the petition.

Kids seem to be hardest on themselves!
Big bummer on the break! I know just how you feel--hope it heals quickly and she can be petitioned to STate. Make sure she's taking calcium and vitamin D too--both are needed for bone growth.

Well, I've finally figured out how to get my child to drink milk! She is so determined to come back, that she is doing anything that she thinks will help - including drinking milk! :laughing: Oh, and she's drinking OJ with extra calcium. I think her bones will be stronger after she gets out of her cast than before!

I heard some encouraging words too this morning, that since she has already competed this season that the coaches should be able to use her scores from her current season's meets to petition her into States. When I heard that, I started to cry (joyful tears - I'm such a sap! :rolleyes:)

Now we just have to get her healed and get the dr to sign the release form when the time comes....

Kids seem to be hardest on themselves!
Big bummer on the break! I know just how you feel--hope it heals quickly and she can be petitioned to STate. Make sure she's taking calcium and vitamin D too--both are needed for bone growth.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back