WAG L8+ parents - did/do you have home equipment?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am going to answer twice because I think it's a little different for boys and girls.

GIRLS
What did you have? beam and mats, pullup bar
What did you allow in terms of skills? turns, presses, cartwheels, BWO, BHS.
How often was it used? in old L5, a few times a week; probably once a week in old L6, a few periods of intense use during a two-year long backwards block around L7; pullup bar got intermittent use and kids now feel they are too big for it
At what level did your gymnast stop using it and why? lost interest during L7 about six months before acro came back in the gym
Do you feel that the equipment and extra practice time helped her reach the level she did? probably improved L5 cartwheel, may have improved L6 BWO, extra work at home may have caused back problems to emerge a bit sooner than they would have otherwise

BOYS
What did you have? mushroom, parallettes
What did you allow in terms of skills? circles and other mushroom progressions, presses.
How often was it used? very heavily used at end of L4, through L5, and beginning of L6 for mushrooms; parallettes not used often ever, but still occasionally used
At what level did your gymnast stop using it and why? mushroom use ended toward the end of L6
Do you feel that the equipment and extra practice time helped her reach the level she did? made no change in level trajectory. Probably contributed to early success at meets on horse. Not sure if it had any effect on his developing wrist problems between L6 and L8 (he skipped 7). Parallettes may have had marginal positive impact on strength and are good to have around when he's off gym during a break and gets twitchy

One addendum. He asked for a pommel horse for his birthday this year. He was serious. That ain't happening.

My daughter works out at home almost every day but it's all isometric. She does some ridiculous number of crunches and 50 handstand shoulder touches.

Foam floor beam, beam store 8’ floor beam, and a mat.

Beam store beam was purchased when DD went through a phase where she was terrified of beam, so it was only purchased to play on to get comfortable, not really for skills. She used it for turns a bit at one point, on and off. I do admit that I once had DS use it to help him balance while doing a scale. That was probably the most gymnastically “useful” it’s ever been. Bought as she moved to team, used somewhat regularly for like a month or two. No real usage since level 4.

Floor beam was purchased when DD was convinced she “needed it” to get more consistent on her BWO, so she begged for it for Christmas. Learning level 5 skills. She used it like four times, I don’t even think for BWO. DS has had fun trying to do 8’ sections of his floor routines on it (no tumbling, LOL).

Floor mat was bought when DD was on preterm. It used to get a lot of use back in the backward/front roll days, but really “just” for play. DS got much more out of it copying big sis.

Floor mat still occasionally gets used on movie nights. Or when DS practices his ‘ninja skills’ - he reconfigures it into different shapes and does flying leaps over it. This usually leads to minor injury.

Overall they probably did not really help DD get to level 8.

Oh! And my DS also has a mushroom. It likely helped him for about a month or two in getting his mushroom circles and doing more than one. After like two months he nearly stopped using it altogether. I’d say he uses it once or twice per month in a good month. For about six minutes.

Nowadays he mostly uses it as someplace to sit, usually by flipping it upside down and sitting inside, relaxing.

Overall great purchase at $350+

Nothing specific to gymnastics. We equipment so the parents can try to stay in shape and battle old age. She has used that stuff a few times when the gym was closed because of snow storm. No trampoline either.

She literally made up the choreography to her current level 8 floor and beam routine in my kitchen and blocking my view of the TV. But that she just has a knack for and has nothing to do with physical training.

Thanks everyone. I wish I would have seen that I could have done a real poll instead of a regular thread but I think it was good to see everyone's answers. Overwhelming consensus is that while most of us brought at least one piece of equipment (likely thinking it would help, like me), it/they mostly went unused after a brief period and did not factor into moving up the levels.

I think our floor beam gets more use as a bench seat when we have company and all the adults take the chairs than it ever did for gymnastics.

Not sure I agree w the premise that everyone is buying this stuff with the purpose of “helping” w gymnastics progression, though I’m sure many are. We have mats and I’d say they are likely the most used “toy” in our house, when you consider overall lifetime use by multiple kids, both gymmie and non-gymmie. As other have said they serve many purposes - like forts and sleepover mattresses - but are also used when the kids are making up dances and want an even surface on the lawn. We have a few - bought new and used - and I have no regrets even today that the kids are tween/teen. I should add that the gymmie knows (and it’s always been this way) not to do gymnastics at home, other than really basic things.

Not sure I agree w the premise that everyone is buying this stuff with the purpose of “helping” w gymnastics progression, though I’m sure many are. We have mats and I’d say they are likely the most used “toy” in our house, when you consider overall lifetime use by multiple kids, both gymmie and non-gymmie. As other have said they serve many purposes - like forts and sleepover mattresses - but are also used when the kids are making up dances and want an even surface on the lawn. We have a few - bought new and used - and I have no regrets even today that the kids are tween/teen. I should add that the gymmie knows (and it’s always been this way) not to do gymnastics at home, other than really basic things.
I am not sure I understand. Certainly a parent buying a set of bars, a beam, and likely a trampoline for a gymnast are likely buying them to assist the gymnast in progressing? I agree that mats are different and can be used for a variety of other activities, including non gymnastics conditioning/stretching.

So, if you are the parent of a gymnast who competed L8 at some point: I am a parent of multiple gymnasts who have reached above L8, all of my children are still in the sport, and more than one is a multi-year level 10. I have seen many scary youtube and instagram videos with little ones using home equipment dangerously...I definitely get the concern about home equipment...both from a safety perspective and developing bad form/habits. I SO want to say that we never had ANY home equipment....but if I am being honest...(and please keep in mind our situation is NOT typical)

did you have *any* of the following equipment - beam, bar/bars/floor bar, trampoline, mats for tumbling YES
If so -
What did you have? floor beam, kip bar, floor bar, mats, chin up bar
What did you allow in terms of skills? Bar was only allowed to be used when I was supervising for BHC, FHC, shoot through, mill circle-current level 3 type stuff that they were already competent on in the gym. Beam and mats were fine for presses, cartwheels, walkovers, BHS step outs...as long as no punching or running flight skills ( NO RO BHS or BT). Floor bar used for pirouette and cast HS drills, only if spotted by each other, as they do in the gym. Chin up bar used if supervised and spotted....they were too short to reach on their own...lol
How often was it used? For many years it was used at least 3-4 days a week. I have multiple gymnasts so I get more use out of all of it than your average family. At least one of them still uses at least something once or twice a week....
At what level did your gymnast stop using it and why? It all still gets used...lol...12 years later! Not every day of course...
Do you feel that the equipment and extra practice time helped her reach the level she did? My oldest 2 definitely were able to get in the extra "practice" (they actually were more "playing") they craved when they were just starting out. We were in a very low hours low pressure program and they REALLY wanted more! Everyone always told us that their enthusiasm would wear off or diminish, but here we are, 12 seasons later....they still love it as much as they did back then! I don't think the equipment necessarily helped them get to the level they are today, but they have had lots of fun using it!

Certainly a parent buying a set of bars, a beam, and likely a trampoline for a gymnast are likely buying them to assist the gymnast in progressing? .

I am considering a floor beam purchase right now and it has nothing to do with assisting my gymnast in progressing. I have gone back and forth on if I am going to do it or not quite a few times.

She is obsessed right now, so pretty much every item on her Christmas list is gymnastics related. Santa generally gets one bigger cost item like this that is something the kid really wants.

I am considering a floor beam purchase right now and it has nothing to do with assisting my gymnast in progressing.
Ok...then why would you buy it? Not being snarky, but you probably arent buying it for the cat (i have seen hilarious pics of cats on beams, lol!). If your child intends to get on the thing, then it will in her mind, whether conscious or sibconsciously, be for progressing. Again, i am not, NOT being rude here...but i would love to know what the beam would be used for other than for practicing skills.

Ok...then why would you buy it? Not being snarky, but you probably arent buying it for the cat (i have seen hilarious pics of cats on beams, lol!). If your child intends to get on the thing, then it will in her mind, whether conscious or sibconsciously, be for progressing. Again, i am not, NOT being rude here...but i would love to know what the beam would be used for other than for practicing skills.

In her mind it is to have fun. Practicing skills and making up routines. That is what is fun to her. Maybe in her mind that includes progressing.

In my mind I think it won’t positively impact her progression - and there is a small chance that if used inappropriately there actually could negatively impact it (bad habits, injury, etc). So it means I have to police it more

But again, she wants it for fun. We have also talked about getting her a bike that is a better size for her — and we aren’t doing that because we think it could help her win cycling races. And I think she would play with the beam more than the bike.

I have often wondered this and a recent thread prompted my curiosity again. Does home equipment factor into success in upper level gymnastics (positive or negative). We as a CB group routinely tell new parents to leave gym in the gym. That home practice will cause burnout, bad form, etc. I just am curious about the experiences on CB.

I am only including L8+ because I want to get a sense of how much home equipment factored into girls getting to to this level. General consensus is that pure talent typically can get a girl to L7 without much "effort" so that's why I chose L8.

So, if you are the parent of a gymnast who competed L8 at some point:

did you have *any* of the following equipment - beam, bar/bars/floor bar, trampoline, mats for tumbling
If so -
What did you have?
What did you allow in terms of skills?
How often was it used?
At what level did your gymnast stop using it and why?
Do you feel that the equipment and extra practice time helped her reach the level she did?

DD put a long piece of Duct tape on the floor as her beam. It REALLY helped. I don't think she would have made it to level 8 without it! Worth the investment :)
My daughter is currently level 8 at 11 years old. I had bought her a beam and mats to practice at home and this helped her get over her fear of the beam. It was an excellent investment and got her to where she is today!

Nope ...they were in the gym enough hours I didn't want to be living it 24/7. Both were multi year level 10s and got full rides for gymnastics....with no home equipment.

We had a ton of equipment and we are talking the same equipment used in the gym, not the scary bar sets sold in Amazon. Bars, mushroom, regulation size floor beam (getting that down to the basement was quite the feat), landing mats. We also have a trampoline that my mom gifted to us when DS was 2 and I was pregnant with DD.

Gym equipment was used on and off when they were training low hours. As soon as they got to 15-20 hours, it went unused and got sold.

Trampoline is still used today - they play games like follow the leader, seat drop contests. They are allowed to do skills up to BT but not any twisting and only under supervision. Only one person at a time.

We also have ju-jitsu mats, 2 full size boxing punching bags, archery equipment, and enough equipment to outfit a whole team for pretty much any sport including cricket. My husband coaches youth sports. They grew up surrounded by sports equipment and gym just a part of that.

I don't think the equipment helped them or hindered them, it was simply something they had and made use of whenever they felt like it which wasn't often. Neither is or has ever been"obsessed" with gymnastics and they don't talk about or do a lot of gymnastics outside of gym. 25 hours a week is plenty and I'm glad gymnastics isn't taking up more of their lives than it already is :)

We had a floor beam never used after level
4, except by the cats, which is long gone. We still have a mat which is still used by me for stretching and occasionally a leap pass by my youngest who is now a L4.

I will say that the floor beam did help with practicing things like old L3/4 dismounts and such. Home equipment didn’t help with one single thing above level 4.

She has some equipment because she asked for it. She's used them, enjoyed them, and is attached to them. However, I would strongly caution that they are toys and not for progressing in gymnastics. She's had them for a while and has used them for things like:
-playing "Stick It" with her friends - like the movie, seeing who could create the most ridiculous routines or "skill" (like a butt-ahara, if you've seen the movie)
-"teaching" dog, toy, younger sibling to do gymnastics
and
-making forts for sleepovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back