WAG L8 to Xcel Platinum I think, maybe???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

Not ready to spill details but we may need a gym change. Suffice to say there have been changes that don’t work for us at this time.

My kid is a L8/9. She will be a senior next year. Had her coaching situation been different this year, she likely could have competed 9. What’s done is done.

She is a section champ on her HS team. And wants to continue competing USAG and HS. She wants her senior moments and she earned them.

She would prefer to compete L8. But I’m a plan A, B, C type person. So can she head over to Excel Platinum with no issue? I will need to be scouting possibilities. For next year.

Not an expert, but I think she would have to move to Diamond. As an 8, her skills have to be beyond Platinum, but there wouldn't be any need to score out of other Xcel levels for her to move over.
Ok that helps. Just meetscore stalking local gyms there doesnt seem to ne any diamonds around.

If she has lost any skills recently or is struggling with L8 skills in any way, platinum could be appropriate, but most likely if she has some level 9 skills she should be diamond (if not sapphire depending on your location). Platinum does not allow flipping vaults or C level skills for the most part. Most events are around a level 5-7.5 difficulty. Maybe look at gyms competing USAIGC if xcel diamond is not an option.

If she has lost any skills recently or is struggling with L8 skills in any way, platinum could be appropriate, but most likely if she has some level 9 skills she should be diamond (if not sapphire depending on your location). Platinum does not allow flipping vaults or C level skills for the most part. Most events are around a level 5-7.5 difficulty. Maybe look at gyms competing USAIGC if xcel diamond is not an option.
No IGC options local, and it needs to be local because a lot going on in HS at HS.

She is flipping vaulting. C skills on Floor and beam. Her hold back is lack of bars coaching.

It’s a conundrum I didn’t expect to deal with. I/she loved our gym. It’s just no longer the gym we loved.

I’ve been very consistent in my years here. When the gym no longer works for you and yours time to move on. It’s kinda where we are at. I had hoped for 18 more months. Oh well.

Is she able to finish out the season or is this an immediate move? Hope you find a good fit for her!

Is she able to finish out the season or is this an immediate move? Hope you find a good fit for her!
She will finish out her season. We are at it is what it is at this point for the season. Over the summer she was I’m here to the end and I didn’t know the loss of the bars coach was permanent not temporary but that’s a story for another day. The plan last year was improve bars to get to regionals this year. L9 next year. And now the coach is gone.

The situation is not in any way abusive or anything like that that. It’s just the schedule changed and I’m paying more for significantly less coaching. There is no one to spot and drill them on upper bar skills so she is stagnant not losing skills but not gaining either. And she is finally ready.

I’m sorry to hear this. My DDs gym had some significant changes at the very end of her junior year which continued well into her sr year. I’m glad your DD is amenable to a change, mine was not until it was too late. 18 months is still a good amount of time.

I’m sorry to hear this. My DDs gym had some significant changes at the very end of her junior year which continued well into her sr year. I’m glad your DD is amenable to a change, mine was not until it was too late. 18 months is still a good amount of time.
Thanks. In December she was in the no way I’m staying camp.

Now she really doesn’t like going at all. Which has been fine because she has been practicing at HS. She qualified for HS States so that buys her 2 weeks. (Of course I still have to write the checks for club). USAG States is paid for (and coaching fees includes hotel and big miles, so it ain’t cheap) so she needs to deal for a few more weeks. And I have to bite my tongue for a bit longer.

Conversely, if she's already level 8/9, it's not fair for her to compete against levels 5, 6, and 7.
Maybe. And gymnastics is not equal, never has been. That’s different than fair. It’s fair beca you know the expectations going in.

And technically it shouldnt be fair for 10s to downgrade to protect their ride. But it’s allowed. So be it. And a L8 who goes 9 hours a week, competes against some going. 20 hours. And gyms keep kids back to score better. All allowed.

My daughter is a HS section champ. And our section will get hosed at states by kids in other sections who are multi year USAG L9/L10 national qualifiers. They know this. They will do their best and have a blast.

If she is willing to compete the skills allowed I don’t see a problem.

I’m more concerned that her club gym lets her practice the skills she can compete at the HS level. If she has to downgrade her routines to meet the Xcel level requirements no biggie.

Conversely, if she's already level 8/9, it's not fair for her to compete against levels 5, 6, and 7.
The difference between 8 to 10 is much greater then 5 to 7 and 7 to 8.

And again, the skills are spelled out. So it’s not like she could compete higher skills at platinum then allowed.

If she is willing to compete the skills allowed I don’t see a problem.
I tried to be understanding of this suggestion because I went from level 8 (with level 9 beam difficulty) to Xcel platinum. I was 5 years older than all my level 8 teammates, I developed fears of all high bar skills, I never trained a flipping vault, and my team did not have a diamond team. Even with my circumstances I was still a little weary of the switch, and I kept up my difficulty as much as I could in platinum so when I won it still felt fair. If you want her to compete platinum just so you can sandbag, I feel like that's just the same as having her recompete level 5.

The difference between 8 to 10 is much greater then 5 to 7 and 7 to 8.

And again, the skills are spelled out. So it’s not like she could compete higher skills at platinum then allowed.

You should probably read through the entirety of the mobility rules posted above.

I tried to be understanding of this suggestion because I went from level 8 (with level 9 beam difficulty) to Xcel platinum. I was 5 years older than all my level 8 teammates, I developed fears of all high bar skills, I never trained a flipping vault, and my team did not have a diamond team. Even with my circumstances I was still a little weary of the switch, and I kept up my difficulty as much as I could in platinum so when I won it still felt fair. If you want her to compete platinum just so you can sandbag, I feel like that's just the same as having her recompete level 5.
First, to be clear I am not my gymnast. So don’t imply on anyway she wishes to sandbag. She does not.

Next. I’m not talking about wanting to sandbag. What I said was sand bagging happens.

She and I would prefer the gym she is at had stayed as it was 2 years ago. No one gave us that option.

She would prefer to stay L8 and not compete Xcel at all no matter the level.

As it pertains to my child’s situation. I’m trying to find a place for my daughter to stay in gymnastics and remain competitive in her HS section and get the coaching she deserves. I don’t don’t wish to pay more for significantly less coaching. I’m open to all options. Including just training and not competing.

Any other discussion about what is fair vs allowed is general comments And discussion. So don’t make it personal, it’s not.

You should probably read through the entirety of the mobility rules posted above.
I did. It would take a petition.

i wasn’t commenting specifically about what is being “planned” By us. What we are planning is finding a place for her to compete L8.

As I stated above the difference between L8 and and 10 is far more extreme then Levels 5-7 or even 8.

Personally, The mobility should be skill based not level based. You can technically compete L8 with L7 skills. You wont score well but you’d technically be a L8. As an example big difference between a 38 scoring L8 and a 32 scoring L8.

But then that’s why they allow for petitions

I have no stake in this and my kids aren't in Xcel, but a L8 with L9 sills is way beyond Platinum. Girls at DD's gym who move over after L7 go to Diamond. I would think your daughter would find Platinum competition well below her skill set, and can't see how that would be enjoyable from a competitive standpoint. If there are no gyms at all in your area with Diamond, then I guess it's a moot point, but if the level is available (aside from it also being the USAG rule) it would seem to be a better fit for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back