WAG L9 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
1) Can someone give me examples of B dismounts on beam for L9? My daughter's dismount is hurdling to her RO and then a full. Seems like she is struggling with that again. One coach said her problem is she is hurdling crooked. So she suggests doing a standing RO to full. My daughter said that's how she has always done that but since we switched gyms the new (or temporary) beam coach is tell her to hurdle. Another coach said she is twisting incorrectly (twisting her head and body before her feet? I am not sure if that is what he said) or she could be twisting the wrong direction. Her head coach says he's not having her do the full at the first meet but will have to reteach the full because she was taught incorrectly by her former coaches. Her trouble with this dismount just surfaced a week ago but her coach is confident she'll have it by her second meet. What is the deduction for not having this dismount? Is there another dismount to fulfill this B dismount requirement?

2). My daughter has a tuck 3/4 to a split jump feet perpendicular to the beam which I am told is a .2 bonus. First question, even though she has a negative split jump, when she does it in this combination, she barely gets a split. Landing perpendicular to the beam scares her. Is the deduction for not having an adequate split (and it is pretty inadequate) justify putting this in her routine? I am thinking she could get a .2 deduction for the inadequate split which negates the bonus and there is the potential of the fall.

Weeks go by and she is doing great with all her skills and then all of a sudden there is a problem again. And she is so hard on herself. Any thoughts and suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know the exact deduction of not having a B dismount but I know it is significant.
Other B or higher dismounts
gainer full off the side of the beam
gainer off the end of the beam (not sure if tuck is a B, might have to be a pike)
front full dismount
front layout dismount

The deduction for not having a full split negates the bonus and she would receive a deduction so it might not be worth putting it in.
Other bonus combinations should be
switch leap sheep jump
switch leap back tuck
straddle jump back tuck (not 100% sure about that one)
switch quarter was bonus when I competed it but I am not totally sure if it still is
I liked having a shushanova in my routine so pretty much whatever I connected it to would make it bonus.

I hope one or more of those dismounts and combinations works for your daughter! Level 9 beam is tough. That was one of the reasons why I was never allowed to move up to level 10.
Things will click! Best of luck to your daughter.

Thank gymgymgymnast.

I just feel bad for my daughter. They lost their beam. Their old beam coach was not great but at least she had experience. The one they currently have has no experience really in coaching gymnastics. She is dedicated and someday may be real good. But currently, she really has no experience. She'll follow text book examples but cannot really coach them if the gymnast encounters trouble. Today she kept my daughter on beam the entire practice practicing only her dismount! The head coach just let her or was not aware. She just had my daughter do RO after RO to either tuck, layout and fulls but could not really give any constructive corrections. Her tucks and layouts looked great. But she could not land her fulls. We were at another gym practicing and some coaches there offered some assistance. I feel so horrible her own beam coach is not really capable of coaching beam. The head coach is a man and does not coach beam. Thinking about this last practice, I am getting upset just thinking my daughter was made to do the dismount the entire practice! And sadly, it accomplished nothing! Ugh, double ugh!

That sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. Is there another coach at her gym that can give her privates on beam? All it would take to fix it is one coach who knows what they are doing and probably one session.
Could your daughter try a cartwheel full? She would have less power but I'm sure she could still do the full. and she wouldn't have the roundoff messing her up. Sorry I wish I could be more help but beam was always my worst.

That sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. Is there another coach at her gym that can give her privates on beam? All it would take to fix it is one coach who knows what they are doing and probably one session.
Could your daughter try a cartwheel full? She would have less power but I'm sure she could still do the full. and she wouldn't have the roundoff messing her up. Sorry I wish I could be more help but beam was always my worst.

I don't think the round off is the problem. It is the full. She always twists too early. It will hopefully resolve itself. The head coach feels he can get it straightened out by the next meet. But thanks for listening to me gripe! :)

Hi, I am also competing Level 9 beam this year. In response to the dismount question, other dismounts are front aerial full (in other words front layout full off one foot), front layout off two feet, gainer full, and other less common ones. I am doing RO full, and I also used to go really crooked and not land them. My coach decided to teach me a standing full, and that really improved my timing on the twisting. I then connected a slow RO to a full, then sped it up until it was better. This only worked because I was doing tuck full, so that could be an option if she's doing tuck. If she's doing layout full, you could also suggest she try doing tuck. It still fulfills the requirement, and it was a little bit easier for me.

In terms of the bonus, I think she's be better off not doing it. The tuck 3/4 is a C, so she needs to connect it to a B. If the split is not full, it won't count as a B and therefore the bonus won't count, and she might also get execution deductions.

Good luck! I know level 9 beam is hard :(

Thanks chalk artist for the information you provided. My daughter did a front layout, which she believes satisfied the b dismount. They kept the "bonus". I am pretty certain she got deductions that nullified the bonus, if not more. I don't make any recommendations or ask questions at the gym. I post them here for my own personal information. Your post was helpful. Thank you,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back