Large Gymnastics clinic for all ages-need ideas!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I just took over the Gymnastics Department at my local YMCA and am trying to improve the horrible reputation our current program has. We are having a Free Gymnastics Clinic/Open Gym Night to get people interested in our programs before our Fall Session classes start. We have had quite a high interest in the clinic due to it being FREE to the general public. Therefore, we are expecting around 50+ children. There will be kids ranging from ages 2-14 at the clinic. I am looking for ideas to help make it a FUN and a good learning environment. Obviously, it will be more about fun, because the kids aren't going to learn much in 2 hours. So any ideas on would be appreciated. I'm especially looking for fun and easy games, drills, etc. Thanks!

Okay I would plan for enough staff to have groups of 8. So you are going to need about 6 rotations. If you haven't already done this I would require people to reserve a spot and then have a master list. Possibly you can take additional kids not reserved but only up to a certain amount. There is a lot of liability in an event like this that needs to be minimized.

Do a fun warm up but keep it controlled. No tag, etc. The children will be different ages so that will be dangerous. Personally I would not even consider the idea of 2 year olds at an event like this but maybe it is too late to change that. If there is any option to do so I would very strongly suggest you consider the idea of TWO 2 hour sessions, one for ages 2-5 (preschool) and one for ages 6 and up (school aged). Children under 3 will need parents to participate and this will add extra bodies in the gym and everything that comes along with that. They also don't tend to engage as much in cooperative games yet and would be unsafe in an active game with older children. Basically there is going to be virtually nothing you can do in a safely organized fashion that will attract the attention of children aged 2-14.

Let me know about the possibility of this and then I can get back with more ideas. Anything that is not organized and carefully planned will carry massive liability and potential for injury with that many people. If you're the one in charge then I would not take on that liability if I were you.

Edit: In case it's not apparent from this, I do not like "open gym" for beginners and small children. To me open gym is advanced participants only. Organized rotations and intro to rules and the gym is a much better, safer format.

Well thanks for your opinion. I suppose I should give a little more info. The majority of the clinic will take place with the children split up into specific age groups with each group on a different event. We are doing a rotation and are going to try our best to keep them as split up as possible. We will have at least one instructor per age group. Also, all 2 year olds will have their parent's out on the floor with them.

Well thanks for your opinion. I suppose I should give a little more info. The majority of the clinic will take place with the children split up into specific age groups with each group on a different event. We are doing a rotation and are going to try our best to keep them as split up as possible. We will have at least one instructor per age group. Also, all 2 year olds will have their parent's out on the floor with them.

yikes.:):):):)

Have lots of staff...more than you think you need. Recruit long time members (parents) to help you with easier stations like watching the zip line or inflatable (if you have those things). Make sure all staff are wearing shirts that identify them as staff.

Have an agenda for each group/staff with no amount of time greater than 10 minutes. In other words...tell everyone (your staff) what to do all the time. Don't let them "wing it". Better yet...have them create the agendas themselves so they have a part in creating this great "carnival" atmosphere.

Be sure to have good "train wreck" activities...like the "chicken dance"...or the "YMCA" (would be a good one for you). Have a microphone also.

There are no rules to plan a FUN time in a gym...just make sure it is fun and safe...any activity is a great activity........

.....except OPEN GYM!

NO OPEN GYM.....if you are trying to impress people.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back