Anon Large Level Gaps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (3bb2)

Is anyone else dealing with huge level gaps at their gym?

My DD is training level 8/9 skills. The gymnasts closest to her in level are training level 5/6 skills. We have an XCEL gym, but my child is training for Sapphire (Diamond last season) while those closest to her level are training platinum. There were only 2 platinums last year and a fairly large group of golds. Neither of those platinums are moving up and only 2 golds are moving to platinum. The frustration is that this is her training group and the coaches have to set up stations and drills for skills needed to be learned by this group while my gymnast has had these skills for nearly 3 seasons now. The coaches have been wonderful in attempting to set up side stations for her (I have zero coaching complaints as they are doing the absolute best they can), but my daughter is very self conscious that often she is working by herself or having to do an event after everyone else gets done and then getting rushed turns before they change events.

This is super tough! Sometimes even training a group of kids in the same Xcel level is hard enough - like new golds who need to learn to jump to high bar vs repeating golds working on kips and flyaways for example.

I grew up at a small gym just building its optional program so our 7-10s all practiced together. When I was in 10, there were no 9s, just 8s, which is a big difference. I felt comfortable doing my own thing, but I understand not all personalities are suited for that.

Are there not any other diamonds/sapphires at the gym? I would assume then that your daughter doesn't have teammates she feels close to. Is a gym change an option? You could do it amicably and I really think the coaches would understand and maybe even give you a recommendation.

This is super tough! Sometimes even training a group of kids in the same Xcel level is hard enough - like new golds who need to learn to jump to high bar vs repeating golds working on kips and flyaways for example.

I grew up at a small gym just building its optional program so our 7-10s all practiced together. When I was in 10, there were no 9s, just 8s, which is a big difference. I felt comfortable doing my own thing, but I understand not all personalities are suited for that.

Are there not any other diamonds/sapphires at the gym? I would assume then that your daughter doesn't have teammates she feels close to. Is a gym change an option? You could do it amicably and I really think the coaches would understand and maybe even give you a recommendation.
Leaving the gym is not an option. It is a wonderful and supportive place with coaches who want the best for my kiddo, but they are in a logistical position I don't envy. My child is very rule observant and intent on fair for all, so she won't set up a drill or ask the coaches to if she thinks she is the only one who can use it. To her, that isn't fair to the team. Trying to balance what is best for her and not stand out from the team is difficult. We have a fledgling Optional program at our gym, but only 1 level 6 and about 5 level 4 gymnasts they hope to move up this summer. This group is significantly younger than my gymnast. They are 10-11 while she will be starting high school in the fall. The xcel girls are definitely closer to her age with 7 all starting high school in the fall as well.

This is certainly not a complaint of our gym. I'm sorry if it came out that way. It is rather, how does one handle it? How do coaches handle it? How does a gymnast keep progressing in a group setting in which they are the odd person out?

I think it might be worth sitting down with her and her coaches and talking about what her goals are and how she feels, especially about wanting to do what's best for the team and not wanting to monopolize time or attention.

It also helped me to have a buddy who, if they weren't working the exact same skill, maybe it was something similar - like the two of us went to beam pit to do dismount upgrades, even if that meant different things for us. Or maybe slightly different versions of the same drill that are easy to do in the same rotation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back