Off Topic LASIK?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
I'm a candidate for LASIK, meaning my eyesight is pretty bad. 20/70 both eyes without my contacts. And at gym I have to deal with my contacts and dry eyes and such. It's a lot of work, however I'm only 14. If I were to get LASIK? Would it affect my gymnastics in any way?

I don't think you can get it that young. I just had it done last week, but I'm pretty certain the minimum age is 18....

I'm a candidate for LASIK, meaning my eyesight is pretty bad. 20/70 both eyes without my contacts. And at gym I have to deal with my contacts and dry eyes and such. It's a lot of work, however I'm only 14. If I were to get LASIK? Would it affect my gymnastics in any way?
1. Pediatric Lasik has been used only in extreme cases where vision is threatened by severe lazy eye or other serious sight threatening circumstances because of severe refractive error. Do not expect a doctor to wave this age requirement easily.
2. Technically 20/70 without your contacts is not that bad. "Low vision" is considered to be a BEST eyesight of 20/70 WITH Contacts or Eyeglasses.
This means that your UNCORRECTED vision is the best that some people can get with CORRECTION. At 20/200 WITH CORRECTION, someone is considered legally blind.
3. One of the reasons they don't do LASIK on children is that they are still growing… so are their eyes. They need to be stable. The best time to have LASIK is between the ages of 25-39 (and not pregnant).
4. Even after LASIK, some people still need corrective lenses.

1. My DS was just fitted for glasses. He's between 20/40 and 20/50 uncorrected (no glasses). While I know you can't really predict lens power from acuity, there is often some degree of correlation.... and my DS's doc stated that he's in the lowest prescription that they would recommend glasses. I don't know that 20/70 would count as a severe correction...

2. I'd get a second opinion if they're willing to do LASIK at your age. As my rx still changes some every couple of years, not a single doc will consider me a candidate for LASIK. At age 14, you're still undergoing a lot of changes...

1. Pediatric Lasik has been used only in extreme cases where vision is threatened by severe lazy eye or other serious sight threatening circumstances because of severe refractive error. Do not expect a doctor to wave this age requirement easily.
2. Technically 20/70 without your contacts is not that bad. "Low vision" is considered to be a BEST eyesight of 20/70 WITH Contacts or Eyeglasses.
This means that your UNCORRECTED vision is the best that some people can get with CORRECTION. At 20/200 WITH CORRECTION, someone is considered legally blind.
3. One of the reasons they don't do LASIK on children is that they are still growing… so are their eyes. They need to be stable. The best time to have LASIK is between the ages of 25-39 (and not pregnant).
4. Even after LASIK, some people still need corrective lenses.

I forgot to mention I have lazy eye in my left eye, making it difficult to wear contacts (which make the vision worse)

I forgot to mention I have lazy eye in my left eye, making it difficult to wear contacts (which make the vision worse)
Is your vision THREATENED by your lazy eye? As in, are you at risk of losing total vision in that eye? If so, have they tried an eye patch on the strong eye yet? And except for gymnastics, glasses work just fine.
I don't have amblyopia (lazy eye)… but I do suffer from exotropism (the outside muscles in both eyes are too strong and they don't focus together). I see double at all times and can choose which eye to focus with… at my age, one of my eyes is far-sighted and the other is near-sighted, so I my choice is often task-dependent.
:)

I had LASIK a few years back for nearsightedness & astigmatism. The day after, I had multiple "floaters" in my eyes and my left eye wouldn't focus correctly. I had a second LASIK procedure on my left eye to try & correct the issue, but it didn't help. And I'd been the "perfect" candidate. So just a heads-up that LASIK isn't always as amazing and trouble-fee as it sounds.

I had lazy eye that my mom caught when I was a toddler. My amazing mom probably saved my vision. After surgery before I was two and years of eye exercises I have minimal lingering issues as an adult.

As a young child I did have a nasty red scar in the white of my eye.

Have you considered CRT lenses? My 14-year-old daughter began wearing these a couple years ago and she LOVES them. The hard prescription lenses are worn at NIGHT only, and they reshape the cornea while you sleep so that your vision is 20/20 during the day. There are obviously pros and cons and not everyone is a candidate (your vision has to be within a certain range), but it might be worth checking out. Good luck to you!

Have you considered CRT lenses? My 14-year-old daughter began wearing these a couple years ago and she LOVES them. The hard prescription lenses are worn at NIGHT only, and they reshape the cornea while you sleep so that your vision is 20/20 during the day. There are obviously pros and cons and not everyone is a candidate (your vision has to be within a certain range), but it might be worth checking out. Good luck to you!

do you know the range for the vision ? this sounds great!

My daughter wears these too. Research Ortho-K lenses. They are perfect for her and have helped a great deal. She much prefers them to wearing daily soft contacts.

I'm 15, and even if LASIK were available for you right now with your age, I would still wait. My vision is +6.75 in my left eye and +7.25 in my right, or about 20/700. It's still changing! Honestly, your vision at 20/70 isn't bad at all, and LASIK might not be worth the money, even as you age and your vision continues to deteriorate. Heck, even with 20/700 (~20/50 corrected) I'm not sure I'd go for LASIK!

do you know the range for the vision ? this sounds great!
I think it is for individuals who are nearsighted with diopters up to -6. You could probably find out specifics with a quick internet search. Although the technology has been around for years, not every eye care provider carries CRT lenses since it requires specific training to fit and prescribe them. It was definitely worth the effort for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back