Parents Last Friday at the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Went to pick up dd at the gym last Friday evening. Fridays are just gymnasts no cheer so I gladly do the pick up. Younger daughter went also so she could get a little play time. Usually I will take my seat upstairs mind my own business and watch.

I happened to go downstairs for a drink. There was a younger gentleman at the window looking out at the floor with 2 boys. All of a sudden he started banging on the glass. First reaction was "what is he doing"? I've never done it or seen it done. In a few seconds he starts motioning and clapping. I knew then he was having a "proud" moment which is cool with me. I have too.

I was wrong. It wasn't a proud moment. He then starts "coaching" from the window. I know the coaches DO NOT approve of this. It was the preteam and 3's doing beam. So I made eye contact and said "I guess you've got a young gymnast, huh"?

His reply made me laugh to myself.
"Oh no she's been doing it a looong time. She's a L4. I just can't figure why they have her over here with the younger ones and not with the other 4's."

Without further conversation I went back upstairs and continued watching knowing full well why she was where she was.

Oh, boy! How fortunate you are that you got to witness THAT. What a mess. Poor kid. Sorry you had to see that on your nice "quiet" evening at the gym! I look forward to the days when we don't have rec classes at our gym, too.

I will never forget the first time I witnessed this for myself. The parents observe from a balcony, which is then open to the gym. There was a dad a few seats down from me (this is when Q was still on pre-team and we were expected to stay) SCREAMING down to his daughter. "No, do it this way, not that way..." etc, etc. I tend to be easy to read, but this was a new low for me, as I sat there, staring at him with my mouth hanging open. I was embarrassed *for* him.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back