Coaches late drop vs. split toe on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Can I hear thoughts on this? Is there a reason why you only teach one vs. the other (or do some of you teach both)? Split toe-on seems to generate more control coming out of a giant. I like late drop better on the low bar, but some kids just can't get it as quickly as the split toe-on. Discussion anyone?

i teach both. whatever works best for the kid i say. we start with a 2 foot for everyone and use that as an intro to stalder/in bar work as well. we teach the step in after a few months to most and a few will also end up with stalders. the late 2 foot does result in a lot of power but as you said they are harder.

when they can't get both feet on without bending their legs. some kids just can't do it. :)

I really focus on the entry 2 foot/stalders for 2 months. Working that drop and late entry along with the late split for the stalder. Then month 3 while I'm focusing on having the kids finish up on the stalders to timer on real bar, i send the rest to strap bar to work back uprise to early freehip to back uprise to step in stoop/h stand etc,,, then from a cast on straps, then to the bar. take your time

ps. don't get me wrong, u can work the step in much earlier, my focus is 2 foot/stalder/inbar, step in later

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back