Laurie Hernandez article in NY Times

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
GREAT article about Laurie from Saturday - includes insight into selection of Olympic Team.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/sports/olympics/laurie-hernandez-gymnast-rio-olympics.html?_r=0

A couple of great quotes to point out:
“She’s {Laurie's} going to be the fourth or fifth in, or the first or second out,” Haney {her coach} said. “There’s only one position that’s a lock, and that’s Simone. If she’s walking, she’s going.”

“Secretly,” she {Laurie} said, “I’m a 5-year-old.”

The whole article is pretty great, worth the read.

Thanks for sharing. She is my favorite! And I must say that her and her coach are really great people. My daughter sent Laurie a fan letter 3 years ago and they both reached out to her and wrote her back with pictures of her and a new girl we didn't know yet - Jazmyn Foberg. Pretty cool :)

I love Laurie! I'm really pulling for both her and Ragan Smith to make the Olympic team but it's going to be tough! The game is changing with more gymnasts staying in the sport longer and older gymnasts seem to have the advantage right now b/c of the high levels of difficulty. I hope to see at least one of them in Rio!

I love Laurie! I'm really pulling for both her and Ragan Smith to make the Olympic team but it's going to be tough! The game is changing with more gymnasts staying in the sport longer and older gymnasts seem to have the advantage right now b/c of the high levels of difficulty. I hope to see at least one of them in Rio!
I'm sure a fierce athlete probably doesn't want to be thought of as cute, but how freaking cute is Ragan?! I'm definitely pulling for her...but I hate thinking about how many of these amazing gymnasts are going to be left at home!!! I wish they could take more...it's going to be interesting!

I'm sure a fierce athlete probably doesn't want to be thought of as cute, but how freaking cute is Ragan?! I'm definitely pulling for her...but I hate thinking about how many of these amazing gymnasts are going to be left at home!!! I wish they could take more...it's going to be interesting!

She IS cute! I just love watching her! Her new floor routine is one of my faves ever. She has such clean, beautiful gymnastics, I know her difficulty isn't as high as some of the others but she's still young and her execution is spot on. I have a feeling she will at least be an alternate to the Rio team and she may possibly continue to compete after as well, she has a bright future!

She IS cute! I just love watching her! Her new floor routine is one of my faves ever. She has such clean, beautiful gymnastics, I know her difficulty isn't as high as some of the others but she's still young and her execution is spot on. I have a feeling she will at least be an alternate to the Rio team and she may possibly continue to compete after as well, she has a bright future!
Martha seemed to be all about her at the end! I'm psyched to watch it again tonight with Puma Jr since this is the first chance she's had.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back