Layout Flyaway Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I've known how to do a tucked fly-away for quite some time now, so to get a jump start in level 7 I tried to do a layout fly-away but I couldn't do it! :eek: My legs would immediately tuck as soon as I let go of the bar! :confused: Any suggestions?
-GCG

Obviously, do what your coach says. However, if you want something to play around with into a foam pit, try thinking "hollow - arch" because you want to be slightly hollow when you let go of the bar, but then stretched out (or better yet arched) as you do the flyaway.

Here is my dd doing her dismount. Notice that she is hollow when she lets go, but then arches her body.

YouTube - Double Layout

Actually, you don't want to arch when doing only one layout. The tight arch used in the double layout is to make your body flip fast enough to rotate twice. If you look closely, the arch doesn't really show itself until she enters the second layout. I think most judges will take a slight deduction if you arch a single layout flyaway.

I've never seen your tucked flyaway, so I don't know how high it is, but you may need more height for the layout. Be sure to get a good tap. When you release, squeeze. The girls that I have taught to layout flyaway ended up liking it better because with a nice tap, there's less to do. If you tap your toes high enough, you can pretty much let go and float to your feet. You don't have to do much to cause the flip. You can't' do it that way forever if you want to add the extra flip and twist, but it's a nice way to get used to doing it.

My coach told me to just flip with straight legs, but I guess that I was afraid that I would hit the bar with my legs. My flyaway is about as high as the bar, but I don't get very far away from it...

Yay! A few days ago during gymnastics practice I finally made my layout! Once you do it the first time, it's not scary anymore! Alanna, you're right: I really pull into the bar! But during my layout my coach told me to not worry about pulling my arms in yet. It's impossible to hit the bar if you don't pull. Thank you every one!!!
-GCG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back