Coaches Layout flyaway

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm having a hard time teaching this. Well, not entirely, but...my kids aren't getting that awesome lift that I see some kids get with their layout flyaway.

Actually, I'm having two issues...I have a group of ten kids getting ready to move to level 6 and I really want them to have a layout. They all have a really nice tucked flyaway at bar height or slightly above. When we work layout flyaways, half of them close their hips and slightly bend their knees. (So it looks like a pike with slightly bent knees but not quite so closed)...the other half of them close their hips just a tiny bit, and they have super straight legs and a nice hollow shape but they aren't getting lift at all. They aren't low - like they aren't peeling off the bar, but they just aren't getting height like I would like to see.

I've had them doing tap swings to let go of the bar and flat fall to some 8"ers, we've used a foam block with tap swings to get them to "throw" the block to the ceiling...

And then spotting. We've been spotting these kids through the whole skill for a few weeks now and I don't feel like I'm seeing improvement as quickly as I thought I would. All of these kids caught onto a tucked flyaway really fast, but are struggling with layout.

Anyone have any other drills or suggestions?

a few weeks, HA! keep spotting, mix in timers (spot but no flip, hand on back of neck other hand blocking rotation on shins then switching it around to back of knee), I work really hard on getting the kids to tap correctly and release the timer correctly, then I flip them every once in a while. My goal is to get them to understand that the timer IS the skill, so we do more timers than flipping in the first several months. Don't spend another day on tap swing, work from the cast, with early tap at low bar, coming up hollow to throw. (Make sure they are using shoulders and hips to tap through the bottom and not just hips, shoulders open then close then open at throw). When I say tap at low bar, I mean have them extend towards the low bar (opening for tap). I ask the kids to finish the tap through the bottom so they are already hollow on the way up. (hollow at 4 o'clock) Anyways, plenty of different ways to teach it, but that is what I do and have a pretty good success rate. And of course some kids just do it different no matter how much you work with them... I also use strap bar and have them tap late for giants then early (at low bar) for flyaway timer. Hope that helps.

it kind of sounds like their tap timing is either off or they aren't tapping into the fly away. The one down side of tucked fly aways is they allow you to cheat the tap if you want to. If you have a pit bar, I would have the kids do a good tap swing then catch them by the ankles and put them through the flyaway.

it kind of sounds like their tap timing is either off or they aren't tapping into the fly away. The one down side of tucked fly aways is they allow you to cheat the tap if you want to. If you have a pit bar, I would have the kids do a good tap swing then catch them by the ankles and put them through the flyaway.
==
Huh? can I see a video of this?

==
Huh? can I see a video of this?
Not sure I could find one.
You would have to be at least at the height of the pit bar and far enough out to catch the ankles at the right height. It is usually done with smaller gymnasts. I just usually didn't get to work the drills with the smaller ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back