Coaches lazy coaching? hands off normal for comp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KieQ

Coach
Proud Parent
As an NCCP level 2 coaching rec, I'm constantly moving. Adjusting, spotting, correcting, demonstrating, encouraging, consoling. I wear a watch for timings and leave tablets and phones in the coaching room where (personally) I feel they belong. Coaching is an active and attentive position and I try to provide my classes with my full attention as that is what the parents pay for and the athletes deserve.

My daughters competitive coaches sit. (Same spot at each aparatus...no alternate points of view)

The girls warm up unsupervised most of the time. The coaches chat or check email during their event complexes. One goes for snacks, another for a smoke. They correct from the sidelines, rarely spot skills or physically manipulate an athletes body position to show correct positioning. I hear the words "did you..." from the coach inquiring after moves that were not seen, more often than I feel I should. I get that these girls are old enough to take verbal corrections, but as a coach I know these girls would be so much farther along with hands on coaching...not everyone is an auditory learner. As a coach, it's killing me that some of these girls are making easy to correct mistakes that have now become ingrained in their muscle memory. (Eg, one athlete spent 8 weeks trying to learn something verbally corrected from the sidelines...2 minutes with a hands on coaching and the issue was resolved.)

I know this post could very well be under the parent section as a vent, but I'm truly curious. Is it unusual for coaches to sit while coaching a provincial level group. How much of your athletes training time do you spend making physical corrections. Do you have training plans for each athlete or just for the group as a whole. Do you have ipads in the gym during training? (if so what are you actually using them for)

And I guess my main question is, if you have lazy coaches in your gym...what do you do about it?

In my opinion, the behavior of your daughter's competitive coaches demonstrates lack of interest and passion. This behavior is incredibly unprofessional and means the coaches don't care and probably don't want to be there. This is certainly not "normal" behavior, but I wouldn't say it's rare, either. Let's say that you're in a situation where you really don't like your job. You should still act professional, due to the fact that this is how you make money, not to mention the fact that you're responsible for a group of young children, which requires you to be a role model. It's part of the job description. I would also be worried about safety. A coach needs to been around in case something goes awry, and things do go awry! I would be looking into other gym opportunities if I were you. :(

As for myself, I strongly relate to and agree with your views on coaching, which you stated in the beginning of your post. I am always on the move during practice and I usually find myself quite exhausted when the practice is over, the girls have gone home, and I'm straightening up the gym! I love every minute of it, though. It's the most rewarding job I've ever experienced and when I finally get home and have a moment to reflect on the day, I feel very satisfied.

As for electronics, I never have my phone on me when I'm coaching. My iPad, on the other hand, is a very valued coaching tool and I use it often at every practice. Some things that I use it for include timing warm ups, stretching, and stations; taking notes on athletes, drills, and ideas; taking video of skills for analysis; using YouTube for reference of skills, performances, and athletes; and many other things on occasion.

COACHING IS A HANDS ON JOB!!!

As an NCCP level 2 coaching rec, I'm constantly moving. Adjusting, spotting, correcting, demonstrating, encouraging, consoling. I wear a watch for timings and leave tablets and phones in the coaching room where (personally) I feel they belong. Coaching is an active and attentive position and I try to provide my classes with my full attention as that is what the parents pay for and the athletes deserve.

My daughters competitive coaches sit. (Same spot at each aparatus...no alternate points of view)

The girls warm up unsupervised most of the time. The coaches chat or check email during their event complexes. One goes for snacks, another for a smoke. They correct from the sidelines, rarely spot skills or physically manipulate an athletes body position to show correct positioning. I hear the words "did you..." from the coach inquiring after moves that were not seen, more often than I feel I should. I get that these girls are old enough to take verbal corrections, but as a coach I know these girls would be so much farther along with hands on coaching...not everyone is an auditory learner. As a coach, it's killing me that some of these girls are making easy to correct mistakes that have now become ingrained in their muscle memory. (Eg, one athlete spent 8 weeks trying to learn something verbally corrected from the sidelines...2 minutes with a hands on coaching and the issue was resolved.)

I know this post could very well be under the parent section as a vent, but I'm truly curious. Is it unusual for coaches to sit while coaching a provincial level group. How much of your athletes training time do you spend making physical corrections. Do you have training plans for each athlete or just for the group as a whole. Do you have ipads in the gym during training? (if so what are you actually using them for)

And I guess my main question is, if you have lazy coaches in your gym...what do you do about it?

if it looks like a duck...it must be a lazy coach. :)

LOL dunno, But how do you fix it without becoming "That coach" or "that Mom"?

if it looks like a duck...it must be a lazy coach. :)

Aero, thanks for your reply. I love hearing coaches Passionate about the process. Safety is definitely a concern at times... a 9 year old athlete was spotting standing back tucks the other week. :eek: Not her job. I'd love to see the Ipad utilized in the ways you mentioned. I don't think I've ever seen a routine recorded and played back in this group (granted I'm not viewing 16 hours a week) although I did see it hooked up to the screen so the girls could watch compulsory routines back in august. I have hundreds of videos and notes on my tablet and I'll use it to plan but haven't had the need for it to be a constant companion yet. Sadly, a gym hop isn't feasible as travel time is already extensive. The next closest gym adds another 20 minutes to an already long commute.

Any ideas on how to motivate or rekindle the passion for the job...I'm game to try just about anything.

LOL dunno, But how do you fix it without becoming "That coach" or "that Mom"?

Aero, thanks for your reply. I love hearing coaches Passionate about the process. Safety is definitely a concern at times... a 9 year old athlete was spotting standing back tucks the other week. :eek: Not her job. I'd love to see the Ipad utilized in the ways you mentioned. I don't think I've ever seen a routine recorded and played back in this group (granted I'm not viewing 16 hours a week) although I did see it hooked up to the screen so the girls could watch compulsory routines back in august. I have hundreds of videos and notes on my tablet and I'll use it to plan but haven't had the need for it to be a constant companion yet. Sadly, a gym hop isn't feasible as travel time is already extensive. The next closest gym adds another 20 minutes to an already long commute.

Any ideas on how to motivate or rekindle the passion for the job...I'm game to try just about anything.

you've got to be kidding me...safety be damned. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back