WAG Leap series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Can someone explain leap series rules on FLOOR to me pretty please. Some gymnasts seem to bounce along a lot between a run of two jumps and I never know how the scoring works. I am thinking FIG rules when I am watching top level competitions.

Direct or indirect connection is allowed-
Direct meaning one moves into the next leap with nothing in between.
Indirect meaning that as long as they stay in fluid movement (run/chasses/skip/dance in between) into the next leap the connection is not broken.

Thank you very much. So direct and indirect are worth the same? It makes sense depending on the type of leap, there have just been a few odd routines I have seen and they seem chasses multiple times between the leaps.

Thank you very much. So direct and indirect are worth the same? It makes sense depending on the type of leap, there have just been a few odd routines I have seen and they seem chasses multiple times between the leaps.

They are worth the same. The current artistry guidelines are encouraging the extra chasses, hops and running steps between the leaps so I'd imagine that we will be seeing more of it in the future.

So, what are the possible deductions on linked moves?
For example, if they don't consider the connection fluid enough or if one of the moves is not good enough to be counted as an element?

Well of course there is execution deductions on both leaps whether the judges counted them as skills or not, they get judged on what the assumed intent of the skill was supposed to be.

If the connection isn't fluid enough they lose 0.5 from their D-score as they have a missing CR (assuming no other leap connection in the routine) however they still receive the value of both leaps.

If one of the moves is not good enough to be counted as an element they lose 0.5 from their D-score as above and they only receive the value of the leap that counts. If the leap is not counting as anything just being downgraded with say a 1/1 turn to a 1/2 turn there is also probably a ton of deductions that come along with it.

It would be essentially the same in JO for losing the 0.5 from the D-score for a missing SR.

Thank you. :)
My daughter had two connected leaps in her routine and the split leap was pretty bad (back leg very low).
Her score was still lower than expected considering, overall, the rest of her routine was better than she had performed it before.
So, we were wondering if she lost extra points because is was supposed to part of a linked move.
(Actually, hoping this was the case otherwise we are really confused as to why she scored so low! ;))

Yes it could be that. If the CR is for the leap series and one of the leaps doesn't meet minimum requirements then you won't get the CR because effectively you haven't done the series.

I have been to some competitions where the judges kindly write on the score note what moves were not given. As a coach but not a judge I find that so helpful. I wish they would always do it but I find they will usually tell you informally afterwards if you ask them nicely.

Thank you. :)
Constructive feedback is always good. Especially, if you're not sure where points were lost.

I don't want to highjack the post, but I thought in JO a direct connection between leaps on floor could get bonus (depending on the level of the skill, C-C connection for example) while indirectly connected cannot?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back