WAG Leaps and jumps turning direction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
I've been trying to picture various leaps and jumps with turns and read an old thread on here and got myself thoroughly confused. I'm imagining a gymnast with a best left leg split, just because that is what my DD has, but this isn't about her gymnastics but me getting my head around it without asking her.

Split jump half: Jump half turn to the left then split then land
Split jump full: Half turn to the left, split, half turn to the left
OR Half turn to the right, split, half turn to the right

Tour jete: Left leg forward, half turn to the right as left leg swings forward again. Is this a full tour jete? If you do a further half turn on the way down to end up facing the way you were going to start with, is that a tour jete with half turn? Or do you need to do that bit anyway?

Changeleg half: Left leg forward then as it swings back you do the half turn to your left to end up in your preferred front leg split.
Changeleg full: As above, but then a half turn to your left as you come down to make it a full turn.

Feel free to laugh away. When I watch a routine I get confused between a tour jete and a split leap with a turn. Yet as I have written it down they each turn in opposite directions. IF you can point me in the direction of a slow mo video or nice diagram then I will love you forever!

Yeah, everything you have written is correct.

About the split jump full, I have seen it done both ways. I prefer to do "turn left, split left, turn left" but some people prefer to do it "turn right, split left, turn right". It makes the last half turn easier.

A tour jeté is only the half turn version (Left leg forward, half turn to the right as left leg swings forward again). If you add a half turn, it's a tour jeté half, if you add a full turn, a tour jeté full.
A split leap full is the same as a tour jeté half.

You got the switch half/full correct.

If you want to practice, you might find this video useful :
Unfortunately it's in French, but you only need to know that "saut changement tour" means "switch full" and that "saut grand jeté tour" means "tour jeté half"/"split leap full".

Thank you. I'm sure getting stuff right was only by accident! I watched back last year's videos of my DD to try and work it out. I think she does a tour jete half in her leap series, and then a split jump full but it turns in the opposite direction. But as that is a jump and the tour jete half is a leap, then it must feel different to her. That's partly why I didn't want to ask her - I don't want her to overthink it trying to explain it to me. When she relaxes and doesn't overthink things then everything is better.

Even watching the video I keep thinking I've got it then getting it wrong. You can tell I'm not a gymnast. But I will keep trying. (To understand, not to be a gymnast!)

A nice way to distinguish switch with turn and the tour jete technique is looking at the direction of the leap. Switch leaps with turn always travel a long distance whereas tour jete is going more into the height!

For the split jump with turn, I teach it this way: turn right, split left, turn right. It indeed makes the last turn way easier. But both ways are possible.

I think she does a tour jete half in her leap series, and then a split jump full but it turns in the opposite direction. But as that is a jump and the tour jete half is a leap, then it must feel different to her.
Yep, this is perfectly normal.
If your good split if left, then your tour jeté half will turn to the right. Split jump can turn either way, but turning to the left is very common, especially if the gymnast twists left.

If you want to practice the switch half/tour jeté yourself, try standing on your right foot (you can hold on to a wall or something), then swing your left leg forward, then, staying on your (right) foot :
- swing your left leg backward while turning your body to the left (so your left leg ends up being in front of you) => this is a switch half
- turn to the right (so your left leg is now behing you), then swing your left leg forward again => this is a tour jeté
(without the jump and the split obviously, but you get the idea)

Yep, this is perfectly normal.
If your good split if left, then your tour jeté half will turn to the right. Split jump can turn either way, but turning to the left is very common, especially if the gymnast twists left.

If you want to practice the switch half/tour jeté yourself, try standing on your right foot (you can hold on to a wall or something), then swing your left leg forward, then, staying on your (right) foot :
- swing your left leg backward while turning your body to the left (so your left leg ends up being in front of you) => this is a switch half
- turn to the right (so your left leg is now behing you), then swing your left leg forward again => this is a tour jeté
(without the jump and the split obviously, but you get the idea)

I watched the video twice and I've got it now. I just need the slow mo which I don't get in real life!

I don't know which way she twists. She spins on her right foot, but I'm trying not to think about the twist or my brain will get confused again. You should see me trying to understand a blind turn and a top turn etc. etc. on the bars!

I usually teach kids to turn the opposite direction to their split. So turn left, split right, turn left but you have the occasional kid for whom it just works better the other way.

Yeah, everything you have written is correct.

About the split jump full, I have seen it done both ways. I prefer to do "turn left, split left, turn left" but some people prefer to do it "turn right, split left, turn right". It makes the last half turn easier.

A tour jeté is only the half turn version (Left leg forward, half turn to the right as left leg swings forward again). If you add a half turn, it's a tour jeté half, if you add a full turn, a tour jeté full.
A split leap full is the same as a tour jeté half.

You got the switch half/full correct.

If you want to practice, you might find this video useful :
Unfortunately it's in French, but you only need to know that "saut changement tour" means "switch full" and that "saut grand jeté tour" means "tour jeté half"/"split leap full".

This is a great video! I have to review the switch full vs tour jete half thing all the time. Now add in having to watch the feet to see if they are cheating the entry or not getting completely around at finish to decide whether they get credit for a full rotation. And whether the lead leg is bent and never extends and shouldn't get switch credit. I find these upper level dance skills the hardest to evaluate.

This is a great video! I have to review the switch full vs tour jete half thing all the time. Now add in having to watch the feet to see if they are cheating the entry or not getting completely around at finish to decide whether they get credit for a full rotation. And whether the lead leg is bent and never extends and shouldn't get switch credit. I find these upper level dance skills the hardest to evaluate.

So for a switch leap it has to go forward 45 degrees before it swings back the other way. Is that right? What is the rule for a tour jete?
One thing I do get is the angle that they land and wondering whether they would have been better going for a half rather than a full if they land three quarters of the way around.

So for a switch leap it has to go forward 45 degrees before it swings back the other way. Is that right? What is the rule for a tour jete?
One thing I do get is the angle that they land and wondering whether they would have been better going for a half rather than a full if they land three quarters of the way around.
Ideally yes, the leg has to go forward 45° before swinging back.
The deduction for failing to do so depends on the CoP you are using and therefore of the country/level of the gymnast. If you use FIG or some modified version of FIG, then it's 0,1 off if the free leg doesn't go up to 45°. And you can also deduct for the bent leg, either 0,1 or 0,3 depending on how bent it is. It can only be devaluated if there is no swing of the first leg.
For the tour jeté half, there is no rule on the height of the leg : only rule is that it should be straight and that the spit position is visible.
I don't know the JO code so I can't help you with that.

Yeah, some of the jumps in the video would probably be devaluated (although there is a 30° leeway for the completion of jumps, at least in FIG) and deducted for lack of precision on top of it.

If your daughter spins on her right foot, she spins right and probably twists right as well. I'm sure her coach have her turn/twist/spin in the direction that works best for her though, those things can be very individual. As Aussie_coach said before, usually you just do whatever clicks best for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back