Leaps on the Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I used to be able to do really good leaps on the beam. While I was doing one, I straddled the beam and now I have a fear of them. How can I get over this mental block?

More time on the beam doing upright drill work with emphasis on your posture, keeping your core tight, and keeping your upper body calm during take offs and landings.

Do them on a lower beam that you're not scared of going on and work your way back up. I assume you're scared of missing your foot, which is a very real possibility, so eventually you're just going to have to build up enough confidence that you're not going to miss your foot. Doing them on a lower beam that you're confident of going on a working your way back up to the high beam is a way to do that. If beams in general are scary, do them on a line on the floor and then a floor beam with panel mats on the side. And then, like I already said, work back up to the high beam.

That happened to me on handstand on the beam. Start on a low beam and start small. Then when your confident enough move to a higher beam. And again start small.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back