Parents Leaps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
I have a question about gymnasts and leaps. DD is 8. 9 this summer and just finished her level 4 season. She is crazy good on vault(undefeated all season and state champ) and decent and improving on the other events. Apparently she can successfully vault over the table on the highest setting. She really improved her other three events over the season. Her tumbling is strong, and inch by painful inch, she has all her splits down. But... the kid can not jump or leap to save her life. She managed by a lot of hard work to barely fulfill the angle requirements for the level 4 leaps, but as she moves up the levels, it appears this will become an issue. Some of it seems to be coordination (young age maybe), flexibility (even though she can do the splits) or something else. Is this something that can improve with time? I can see it really holding her back as time goes on on floor and beam. She has big dreams of college gymnastics. Privates? Just let it ride and hope it improves with time? Any insight is appreciated.

Don't worry about it. As long as the gym is working on it -- and I'm sure they are if she's doing so well otherwise -- it will come!

My dd was the same way. After zillions of jumps, one legged jumps, jumping on the box, learning how to snap open and shut she has improved quite a bit. A lot of it was speed.
One of her coaches told me to tape a $1 bill a few inches out of jump reach on a wall. And of course, incrementally raise it as she grabs it. (Mine kept her dollar, and I'd put another one higher over the course of weeks)
Time, and jumps. Flexibility is important too, but I think is also has to do with the speed the muscles contrat. Remember that a split on the floor uses no muscle contraction......a split jump, you are using all kinds of muscles.....active vs. passive flexibility.

Soooo true, Munchkin! My DD has lovely oversplits all three ways, but it took her a long time to be able to do decent split jumps and leaps. I despair of her ever doing a passable split leap now, but it certainly seems like almost all the girls a level above her have them, so maybe there is a magic drill she will learn this summer! :)

My DD also struggles with leaps, was level 4 last year and is 6 this year. She actually doesn't even have a regular leap in her floor or beam routines. She does a side leap on floor and a split jump on beam instead. She's still working them, and switch leaps, so hopefully by next year they improve??

My DD is 11 and L6, leaps were not great for her. For some reason the switch leap looks way better for her than the split leap ever did. It finally hits the proper angle.

Some of it seems to be coordination (young age maybe), flexibility (even though she can do the splits) or something else. Is this something that can improve with time?
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe strength is just as important as flexibility in regards to beautiful leaps. And, yes strength and power can increase over time.

Reactions: sce
Can she take dance? Getting extra time in on dance in general could be a benefit to her.

All three of the following concentrating on verticle.

Jump, jump, and jump some more.

Run 2-3 steps and do the same.

If she can find something soft to jump and land on..... well, you know, do lots of them.

My DD is 11 and L6, leaps were not great for her. For some reason the switch leap looks way better for her than the split leap ever did. It finally hits the proper angle.

Mine was the same way. I don't think she can do a 180 split even now but the first time her coach saw her switch, she about fell to the floor and screamed "Glory Hallelujah!" Immediate substitution in her routine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back