WAG Leaving is so hard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I'll only have 3 more practices with my girls in the gym I'm currently coaching. I'll move next weekend. I'm starting my studies in the university. This is so sad. We have had an awesome summer with my girls - otherwise empty gym, lot's of new skills, playing fun games, having fun and laughing a lot, girls being more excited than ever before.... I have also loved coaching with my coach friend and we work together so well! I'm gonna miss her and every single one of my girls a lot. I mean I have coached some of them for three years and it almost feels like they are my own kids.

I'm going to start coaching in the new gym in the town I'm moving. But they are only offering me a group of 7-9 year old pre-team girls and I have to admit I was hoping for more. It's only 4 hours a week and I'm currently coaching 22 hours a week and mostly coaching upper levels (the last compulsory levels and the first optional level). Of course I'm not studying at the same time and I have to have time to study this year but it still feels like it's too little time in the gym! I'm hoping they'll give me more hours once they'll see me in action!

I'm just venting here really.... Wish me luck with the new gym and new kids!

P.S: Is there anything I should remember to do or say the last day in here? I'm planning on giving the kids ice cream ore something.

keep in contact with them if you can, and if you say you are going to visit when you are back on holidays etc, then don't let them down. I know, sounds like common sense, but my DD's coach of 3 years, moved last year, told the girls she would visit when she was back home this summer. They all knew she was here, but she did not come to see them, or invite them to come see her etc. My daughter was crushed.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.....it's clear you care, and hopefully your new gym will see that quickly! I second what the above poster said-don't keep in touch unless you really can, my dd had a coach move who promised to keep in touch but only has with a select few girls. It's been hard for my dd, she idolized this coach and she still texts her from time to time, but never gets a response.

Best wishes @gymisforeveryone. I always enjoy your posts. You are insightful in your posting, and I'm sure you are in your coaching too. I hope the move goes well, and that the new gym soon sees that you are ready and willing for more coaching.

Hopefully your current gymnasts will miss you as much as you will miss them. We have a long-past coach who still loves to hear from us, and we're grateful for his continued interest and support. Try to stay in contact with them, if you can. Some will probably not feel the need, but others will be very happy to.

Best wishes to you in the move and with school! I have coached in 3 different places and leaving is always hard. I still follow those kids who are still in the gym to see how they are doing. One of the clubs has a very active Facebook page where I can see videos and post well wishes. The other gym has closed down, unfortunately, but I still follow the girls results when I can. We were supposed to compete at a meet with a few of them earlier this year and I was so excited but HC decided to skip it.
Make a plan for how you want to stay in touch with the kids. Some coaches are cool with adding former gymnasts as Facebook friends or texting while others want more formal interactions- letters or visits to the gym only. Let the girls know what that plan is or how they can reach you to share in their accomplishments!
You are a great coach and I think the new gym will see that once you get started.

Thank you all! It's over now, my last day. We had some much fun, played games, ate ice cream and didn't do any conditioning haha :D

I was about to cry the whole time though but fought back the tears until the way back to home. The kids gave me some awesome cards and gifts and I cried so much when I read and unwrapped them at home. They also gave me a huge card with everyone's name on it and I'm gonna hang that on my wall in my new apartment. Also they had bought me a money tree and I'll remember them every time I water it.

We will meet again in October at one meet where I'm judging and they come with their gym. I also promised to visit them at least once before Christmas and I'm not going to break that promise.

Huh I have cried so much that my head hurts! Luckily we have a What's App group where the kids and coaches share their new skill videos etc. So I'll see how they are doing.

Leaving is always hard, especially when there are strong bonds, but every new opportunity helps make you a better coach. Try to think of all the exciting things you will be doing this year. You'll meet new awesome kids to coach. Even though it's not the levels you coached before, coaching the preteam kids will help you grow as a coach. I actually find those younger groups more challenging. ☺

Good luck! Sounds like you have some exciting new challenges ahead!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back