DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I have a kid who pirouettes...blinds and overshoots left.

She twists right.

She is a left RO...left foot in front on hurdle.

Help me out here...does it matter?

The shootover is a bit weird. Left pirouette is not a problem, that's kind of "right" from the standpoint of a right twisting blind. If she wants to left blind, then I'd work the pirouette on both sides for sure.

I have a kid who pirouettes...blinds and overshoots left.

She twists right.

She is a left RO...left foot in front on hurdle.

Help me out here...does it matter?

because i'm literal, i have to ask what you mean by matter? as it relates to what exactly??

If they do it properly it DOES NOT matter in my opinion. if the blind is decent (which it should be prior to releasing) then it won't matter at all. So long as they are twisting in the same direction (front and back) no worries.

Oh no, not the over blown dreaded twisting direction thing again! ;0
"Does it matter?" Well, does it work, does it look good, is she comfortable when doing it? If yes, it doesn't matter. If no, it does matter. I teach them like cartwheels, you should do them both ways when you learn them. After time they will have their favorite direction for sure, but still be able to go either way. With blinds and pirouettes, I always have the girls turn into me when I'm spotting, and that changes depending on which side of the bar I'm on that day. Same with shootovers, I don't waste time going from side to side, but there have been a few exceptions along the way. At the end of the day, it's not a triple full, it's just a half of a turn and I feel girls at this level should be able to go either way. Just my opinion as I know there are many different and heated views on the subject.

It's not a problem as long as she's feeling comfortable and can twist past a 1/1.

Not a problem...2/1+ both front and back twisting.

because i'm literal, i have to ask what you mean by matter? as it relates to what exactly??

Everything below is all in the beginning stages...she was a L8 last season and will be a L9 next season...she just turned 12.

We have been working bails (left) and Giengers (right). We were working on slowing down the swing from handstand for the bail. We were going to do lots of...kip cast handstand pirouette bail to back in the foam pit...so she could work on slowing down the swing on her own. She can't do it because she tries to bail to the right...her twist and Gienger direction.

In the following video bails and Giengers are compared...this is where the above drill came from...

Technique Tuesday: 2 for 1 Geinger drill with John Geddert | Technique Tuesday | Gymnastike

The beginning stages of her Gienger do not come from bail work...they come from huge flyaways and cruise (right twist) work on trampoline.

She can pirouette by flipping either hand...but prefers to flip her left hand. If we are working blind fulls...she blinds to the left and has no issues continuing to the pirouette on the right hand. She cannot blind on her right hand.

She is a right twister once she gets in the air...she did her L5 swing half turn dismount to the left. The blind and bail came from that.

She is a right twister in the air and a left twister on bars. Found this...hop fulls...

http://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2002/2/twistpreparation.pdf

Should we change anything...like her blind and bail...from left to right???

If they do it properly it DOES NOT matter in my opinion. if the blind is decent (which it should be prior to releasing) then it won't matter at all. So long as they are twisting in the same direction (front and back) no worries.

Why not work skills before they have a blind? We tend to move athletes into the beginning stages of release work before they have a blind...they are typically very close to getting one though.

Another thing to add...

All of our gymnasts work blind fulls on a floor bar by the wall every day...we make them do one each direction each time they go there.

I should have titled this...

Left overshoot and blind...right twister

Why not work skills before they have a blind? We tend to move athletes into the beginning stages of release work before they have a blind...they are typically very close to getting one though.
==
I don't start working releases until level 7 (old), whereas the kids start blinding in level 5 (old) using the dismount and going up higher onto a block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back