WAG "Leftie gymnast"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi folks, forgot that we have company over tonight. look for my post tomorrow on Sunday. everyone have a good night! :)

It's not generally accepted to have a kid who can do things already on the right switch to the left, if that's the question. Usually we evaluate both sides and go with the dominant side cartwheel (does not necessarily correlate to their dominant handedness).

Is your daughter in a developmental program/preteam? When did they start trying to have her switch sides?

Yes. She had done developmental at another gym for about 6 months, then we switched to current gym, she has been there for 4 months and it was when we started at the current gym that they started trying to switch her.

Darn it Dunno, I was waiting for your answer!!! Guess tomorrow will have to come quickly enough. But my bit on the topic, my coach has us do things with our bad side just to work the other side of the brain. However, I with gymnastics, I hurdle with my right foot in front, therefore landing on my right hand first, but twisting can go either direction, as can turns, but baseball, golf or snowboarding, I do left sided. And I am dominate right handed. The switch may be because I am ambidextrous from piano playing in my primary years

Yes. She had done developmental at another gym for about 6 months, then we switched to current gym, she has been there for 4 months and it was when we started at the current gym that they started trying to switch her.

I can't imagine how this works for them. I would ask the coach again I guess, not really sure what you can do.

ok, this is what I do with my kids: Take your hands and have them face eachother, then clasp them together, finger over finger. Which ever is the last finger(thumb) on top, is the hand that begins the cartwheel/roundoff. This works with most kids. Though I try to work both sides with the child. I have kids who r right/right, right/left, and left/left. I have not run into left/right but I know they r out there. The key is to try and develop an equal gymnast as much as possible and not get hung up on a certain side for spotting. Twisting is another lesson.

ok, this is what I do with my kids: Take your hands and have them face eachother, then clasp them together, finger over finger. Which ever is the last finger(thumb) on top, is the hand that begins the cartwheel/roundoff. This works with most kids.

Just tried this and it doesn't work for me personally but it is interesting to hear other people's methods! We just have the gymnasts spin around on the spot, then do a couple of full turn jumps in both directions and you can soon see which way they have most co-ordination. Once we know which way they are doing to twist we choose their 'leg' for them. There is another thread similar to this going on too and I've posted more there.
Usually a coach will change a gymnast's leg on backward walkovers or cartwheels (gymnasts should cartwheel on one leg and walkover on the other) to help them in the future with beam combinations. It is not uncommon here and can take a very long time, but possibly isn't worth it with an advanced gymnast over the age of 10, maybe younger as they have done too many cartwheels, walkovers etc!

ok, this is what I do with my kids: Take your hands and have them face eachother, then clasp them together, finger over finger. Which ever is the last finger(thumb) on top, is the hand that begins the cartwheel/roundoff. This works with most kids.

I've just sat here and tried that, and it doesn't work for me (oddball)! The one I use is to have them stand, both feet together, facing away from me, as relaxed as possible. Push them gently, and whichever leg they put forward to catch their balance is usually the dominant one.

amusibus, do you think that maybe her left is her dominant side, she's just learned cartwheels on the right by copying someone else or just being taught that way because her old coach just coached right sided with little ones? Or perhaps they're not trying to *change* her side, just work her bad side? Those are the only reasons I can think to work the opposite side, I wouldn't change a child's preference without good reason.

ok just tried all 3 of these tests for my daughter: thumb test- lefty. spin test- righty. Push test- righty. Dunno, where are you. Wakey wakey.....

ok just tried all 3 of these tests for my daughter: thumb test- lefty. spin test- righty. Push test- righty. Dunno, where are you. Wakey wakey.....

Another test you can do is have her lie on her back, then shout 'go' and have her roll over to her stomach as fast as she can, stand up and run forwards.
Whichever way she rolls should be her twisting direction.

The thing with a lot of these tests is that you shouldn't tell the gymnast why you are doing them otherwise it could influence their decision!

Why are we testing twisting direction? I am definitely a dominant righty (definitely) and definitely a dominant left twister. That's not uncommon so in this case it would still be the same result. I would never test twisting direction and then "pick" a foot for a beginner. Teach a side cartwheel first (should be standard) and then it's generally completely obvious which is the child's dominant side. If this child can do a right cartwheel and a right roundoff, and CAN'T do left cartwheel/roundoff then it's obvious she's right sided. No need to "pick" for her based on twist direction since it would delay her getting to that level at this point. She can still learn right roundoff and eventually twist left. Such a small problem, I can't imagine getting caught up in this as a developmental coach. Of all the things!

I agree with Dunno that there's far more left sided gymnasts than left handed people, percentage wise, definitely. But a lot of people are still right sided in gymnastics.

I can't imagine why you would want a child to do a roundoff on a side that isn't dominant for them. I can barely do a left roundoff. The twist direction issue hasn't affected me. Most girls do yurchenko vaults nowadays and there are plenty of tumbling passes that don't emphasize this issue (I can still do a roundoff full or roundoff 1.5 punch front anyway which is what most 9s and 10s compete unless they have a 2.5 as their first pass. I'm not a good twister and I can't do a 2.5 anyway).

Teach a side cartwheel first (should be standard) and then it's generally completely obvious which is the child's dominant side. If this child can do a right cartwheel and a right roundoff, and CAN'T do left cartwheel/roundoff then it's obvious she's right sided. No need to "pick" for her based on twist direction since it would delay her getting to that level at this point.

I think, now kids are starting so young in gymnastics these days, that sometimes a coach might have to "pick". My 4 year old doesn't have a clue which side she prefers, they're equally bad!! Fortunately she's still in rec, in a club that doesn't focus on skills at this age, so no-one cares which side is dominant.

However reading on her I get that some clubs and coaches do teach cartwheels, round off, kick overs, splits, and even more advanced skills at increasingly young ages. If I was less informed and my DD was in a class like that, a coach would have to pick a side to *teach* her her cartwheel on, as she can chuck herself onto her head in either direction, and wouldn't be able to articulate a preference.

In my earlier post^^, I was thinking that maybe an inexperienced or lazy coach might just teach cartwheels to these young kids on the side they prefer. I know I'm a leftie coach, and prefer to spot from a certain side, and find it much easier to teach left hand cartwheels. Then do they cartwheel left because it's truly dominant, or that's what they've been taught and practiced since age 3. So when they come to learning harder skills it emerges in fact the other side is dominant...

Another test you can do is have her lie on her back, then shout 'go' and have her roll over to her stomach as fast as she can, stand up and run forwards.
Whichever way she rolls should be her twisting direction.

The thing with a lot of these tests is that you shouldn't tell the gymnast why you are doing them otherwise it could influence their decision!

Ok thanks I will try that when we get home. Stuck at Mcd's playground with 5 kids at the moment so hubby can get some pre- Christmas stuff done at home!

I think, now kids are starting so young in gymnastics these days, that sometimes a coach might have to "pick". My 4 year old doesn't have a clue which side she prefers, they're equally bad!! Fortunately she's still in rec, in a club that doesn't focus on skills at this age, so no-one cares which side is dominant.

However reading on her I get that some clubs and coaches do teach cartwheels, round off, kick overs, splits, and even more advanced skills at increasingly young ages. If I was less informed and my DD was in a class like that, a coach would have to pick a side to *teach* her her cartwheel on, as she can chuck herself onto her head in either direction, and wouldn't be able to articulate a preference.

In my earlier post^^, I was thinking that maybe an inexperienced or lazy coach might just teach cartwheels to these young kids on the side they prefer. I know I'm a leftie coach, and prefer to spot from a certain side, and find it much easier to teach left hand cartwheels. Then do they cartwheel left because it's truly dominant, or that's what they've been taught and practiced since age 3. So when they come to learning harder skills it emerges in fact the other side is dominant...

this a metric test. when the body is upside down, and coming from forward or backward rotation with twist this can change.:)

okay. here we go. grab a spoon or a small doll. the concave part of the spoon is the stomach. and i'll use a left cartwheel in this demonstration. just reverse everything when using a right cartwheel.

in gymnastics, we use a series of sequential progressions that allow the brain/nervous system to 'record' movement patterns. most of you know this as 'muscle memory. and they must be repeated over and over again ad nauseum for small and large motor movement/development patterns. this incudes tumbling warm ups. the Russians refer to this as a "session".

when you bend over your spoon or doll to perform the left cartwheel you will observe the 'stomach' of both turning to the right. this is irrefutable and can't change. i think it was Faith upthread that stated that she could perform a perfect front full to the left but then twisted out right when performing a Rudi. I believe Faith learned a front full to the left, when her round of which i think was left dictated that her barani had to twist right. If you can follow all this you will understand why.

for trampolining an athlete learns a barani. this is not to be confused with a front 1/2. they usually learn their barani from their cartwheel. a barani is simply a 'no handed' cartwheel/round off performed above the trampoline bed. if they barani left, and most learn how to flip and twist forward, before backward, the barani dictates which way they will twist backward.

a left barani twists right. so will the front full. so will the rudi, randi, reydolph and adolph. when they learn to twist backwards, they too will twist right. for gymnastics or trampolining it is very important that athletes learn to twist 1 way in both forward and backward direction. this is so you do not 'confuse' the brain/nervous system/vestibular system. there can't be a question for a trampolinist or gymnast on which way they twist as these things are done 20 ft. from the bed or a few feet above the apparatus and must be executed in a flash. the body had better know what it's doing or bad things can happen.

so then, the trampolinist learns much the same way as a gymnast. he will learn back 1/2. and he will twist right which has already been determined by his barani. understand? he will then learn a full twist. a rudi is a forward 1 1/2 twisting front somi. when the trampolinist learns a double full, you simply instruct them to do an arabian (1/2 front) or back 1/2 and then simultaneously do a rudi. a back somi double full IS a back layout with 1/4 to 1/2 of twist and then a rudi, or front 1 1/2 twist. when the trampolinist executes this properly, he initially starts in to the somi going backwards, then 1/4 to 1/2 twist which now has him facing the other direction forward and he's upside down vertically. you simply wrap a rudi (1 1/2 twist) and the outcome is a double full.

as they learn multiple twisting and then multiple flipping, the twist stays true in both directions. there can be no confusion as to which way they twist. in trampolining, they never perform skills forward twisting that end in a whole number. it is always a 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, etc; this has to do with the next skill that follows. simply, it's the back and forth between backward, forward, backward, etc; and backward skills are always performed with twisting to a whole number. 1,2,3, etc;

therefore, if the athlete performs a "double double" he will perform 2 backward somersaults with 2 twists. it could be a back in to double full out, a double full in back out or a full twist in the first somi and then a twist in the 2nd somi. no matter the iteration. all three will be done twisting right.

if the athlete performs a flifis or 2 forward somersaults with a 1 1/2 twist, this will be a full in the first somi and a 1/2 twist in the 2nd somi. or a front somi and then the next with 1 1/2 twist or a barani in the first somi and a back full in the 2nd somi. as you might see, this could get confusing if you have more than 1 of these iterations. and you better know which way you barani. all 3 iterations require the barani. you better have only 1 barani, and in this example they better all be twisting to the right lest 'transfer' problems set in and confuse the trampolinist right off the apparatus.

the majority of skills that are performed on trampoline will not be performed in artistic gymnastics. that is for another discussion. yet there are many that are. when it comes to vault and floor and apparatus dismounts, many of them are performed.

now artistic. a left cartwheel starts with the left foot forward and ends with the right foot forward. again, a left cartwheel is a right twisting skill. so then, when teaching sequential gymnastics from the cartwheel, which 'leg forward' would be the most seamless one to perform coming from the left cartwheel? of course the answer is a right leg forward cartwheel.

now visualize balance beam. the athlete performs the left cartwheel and finishes with her right foot forward and left foot back. this IS how a left cartwheel is performed. now if they were 'lefty' what would you have them do? they would either have to 'switch' their legs in the air before they landed the cartwheel or 'switch' their leg during the back walk over. both of these methods would be deficient because they take the body out of what it wants to do naturally. visualize this from the beginning of the left cartwheel and in to successive back walk overs without interuption. right leg kick over, left leg follow, right leg down, left leg down, right leg over, left leg follow, right leg down, left leg down and so forth. the body is in rhythmic coordination. right, left, right, left, right, etc; and the body will be in alignment when doing the back walk over from the cartwheel. switching legs causes anywhere during this sequential progression can cause misalignment of the feet and hips and poor hand placement.

now do the same for cartwheel, flip flop step out, flip flop step out, etc; and then cartwheel, flip flop step out, layout step out or 2 foot landing. you want the same rhythmic coordination in right, left, right, etc; therefore, switching of the legs during these sequences will cause the body confusion and will take the body OUT of alignment.

Newton's law. for every action, an equal or opposite reaction will follow. i have to take a break. next will be how this applies to "leftie", righty, twisting, etc; :)

okay, next. as a reminder, the rules in artistic gymnastics are not as pure or empirical as trampolining. it really is about what you are able to do vs. how you would like them to do things. therefore, in gymnastics, everything is subject to change, nothing is written in biomechanical stone, and there are exceptions to certain rules. and the apparatus create challenges because 1 is 4 inches wide finding one foot in front of the other for most things and you dismount all but floor from your hands. kids do strange things when they leave the apparatus from their hands. it presents challenges for some kids.

back to the left cartwheel. and the subsequent kick to handstand, front handspring, aerial cartwheel, aerial walk over and an Onodi. i have already told you, over many years of gymnastics experience and countless hours analyzing film, the overwhelming majority of kids in artistic gymnastics are right handed and perform cartwheels/round offs to the left and twist left. this is not a coincidence. the reason is because the right arm is dominant if you are right handed. when you left cartwheel, the left hands goes down first. this is referred to as the stabilization or post arm. it simply supports the movement in a stable position for the body to prepare to kick with the right leg (again, right side dominant) and 'block', repulse or push off the floor with the dominant right hand required for tumbling and vaulting. so then, it is left cartwheel, left hand down to post, right leg to kick thru vertical and then right hand push off. over time, the left calve/quad/hamstring of the leg become very strong due to the constant pushing that initiates the movement from the floor or apparatus. in turn, there is peripheral central nervous training that occurs to the left arm so that the left arm too becomes very strong. over time, each side of the body has become strong so that the body can do what you are trying to get it to do. ultimately, there is a rhythm and coordination that develops the movement pattern in to what you see. and many to several things can take them out of this phenomena...things like poor head position, arched backs, etc; also, and off topic somewhat, you have seen my posts where i have instructed that kids with hamstring pulls need to be careful because they are susceptible to an elbow injury, and vice versa, and on the same side of the body. the nervous system is connected to all points of the body peripherally. so when a left hamstring is injured, the left elbow is at risk for the same. and vice versa. Is it Amusbus that is the Chiro? you will understand this easily.

now, if the child is right handed, and they kick over their cartwheel with their right leg, and push with their left leg, it should be easily understandable why you wouldn't be switching your legs for different "kick" skills. so then, if you push left and kick right for your cartwheel, then it will be so for a kick to handstand, an aerial cartwheel, aerial walk over. and the same rhythm described above is natural and seamless when done in succession. right, left, right, left and so on as they perform any of these in succession. and there may be an exception, but i have never seen it. if a child does a left aerial cartwheel and kicks with her right leg to go over, she will kick with that same leg on an aerial walk over. i have NEVER seen anyone do the opposite legs.

now for beam and the Onodi. if a girl were to do an Onodi from a left cartwheel, the left cartwheel will land with the right leg in front and the left leg behind. now all of you stand where you are with your right leg in front of your left leg or what's called a "stride" position and with your feet approx 6 inches apart. ready?

while standing in this position, twist your body to the right and try to do a 1/2 turn to the right AND WITHOUT LETTING YOUR FEET OFF THE FLOOR..........done? you were done before you started. lol. you will notice that it can't be done. but what you feel happening at your crotch/inside thighs is that they are squeezing and closing even further to the point that you are not able to 1/2 turn. this is called "counter".

but now try to turn to the left........done? you will find this much easier and seamless and that your feet are able to turn easily without coming off the floor.

so then, if you were to perform an Onodi, which way would be the easiest way to accomodate this skill if it came from a left cartwheel? obviously it would be to the left. there is no counter or opposing force and the right leg would kick over to the walk over. the same leg that kicked the cartwheel. and the feet would land right then left. the rhythm from the cartwheel thru to the Onodi would be right kick, left foot land, right kick, 1/2 turn, right kick land then left foot land. or, right, left, right left to finish. understand? at this juncture, remember that most gymnasts perform left round offs and left twists. and there is a reason for this and one that i will explain next. but if the gymnast learned a pure twist from her cartwheel, the Onodi might have found her twisting right. a left cartwheel is a right twist when going upside down. you can't change this. so if this gymnast then attempted to twist an Onodi to the right with her right foot forward, she would encounter the "counter" force pushing her the opposite direction as you all tried yourself above. this would lead to a failed Onodi. this would cause the body to pitch to her left side off center and then be over the right side of center when she finished the Onodi facing forward and went to put her hands down. this gymnasts would simply fall off her right hand side of the beam at the completion of this skill and now landing the opposite way that she started. for those who don't know what an Onodi is, this is what takes place. you face one drection, you 1/2 turn when you push from the cartwheel and put your hands down and then basically perform a front walk over to facing the opposite way you started.

to conclude this section, if you kick right, then all things should be kicked with the right leg. forwards and backwards. boys and girls both. coming next is the actual round off, and the root skill of a round off IS a cartwheel and which way you twist can present challenges for beam dismounts and vaulting. and while your waiting, how many coaches out there have seen a girl do a right round off and switch her feet on the punch so that their right foot is forward? and how many vice versa? i will explain this also. stay tuned....:)

I think I am understanding you Dunno. So was my kid just trained on the wrong side (the right side)for the 6 months at her old gym? Is it just a bad habit that makes her right cartwheel so pretty and perfect and natural- looking? Her left cartwheel, while improved, isn't nearly as good. But they are training her now as a lefty gymnast.

Dunno-
Thanks for your very clear explanations. I think I almost understand it. it just scares me for my son who does left roundoff, left twist, and right front handsprings. Sigh. His coach says he can work with it, but I just wonder waht it will look like for him in the higher levels.

I think I understand what you are saying...lol
Now my DD, is just a L5 so she isn't doing any "twisting" skills. But she always "leads" with her right, (the stabilizing leg?) so that leaves her pushing with her left, (dominant) correct?
But she does scales with her right as the anchor (right foot is on beam...left in air..lol).
Is it odd for her to hurdle, RO, kick-over..ect with the right leg "leading" (which would make her lefty?) but yet do scales with the right leg (which would be her weak leg..right?)
Does this also explain why when she did bars at L4, she did her mill circle with her left leg over the bar? And why when she is just doing "parts" of her beam and bar routine (in the gym) and she just kinda hops up on the beam, her left is always the first foot on? Also when she is getting on top of the low bar to practice jumps to high bar (not working the squat on..just working the jump to high bar) that she does a pull over to front support, then puts her left foot on the top of the bar with the right hanging down towards the ground?

If I am understanding..I believe she is a "lefty" gymnast (she is ambidextrous outside of the gym, except writing she does better with her right than left), as she uses her left as the "pushing" leg, and twists left (what little twisting there is to a RO..lol). Also she uses the left as the "strong" leg when mounting beam and bars when just working certain sections of routines.

The only thing I guess I'm confused on is she scales with her right as the "anchor" leg. If that was her strong leg-pushing leg wouldn't her left be the "anchor"?

Maybe I'm not understanding this as well as I thought...lol

Dunno-
Thanks for your very clear explanations. I think I almost understand it. it just scares me for my son who does left roundoff, left twist, and right front handsprings. Sigh. His coach says he can work with it, but I just wonder waht it will look like for him in the higher levels.

like i told you before in that other post, don't worry about it. you can perform any entire men's routine without a front handspring in it without a deduction.:)

like i told you before in that other post, don't worry about it. you can perform any entire men's routine without a front handspring in it without a deduction.:)

Sounds like a plan to me!!!! LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back