WAG "Leftie gymnast"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am looking at Horton's vault and tumbling to try to see what Dunno was talking about. It appears to me that he front tumbles twist right and twists right out of his double front half out vault.

However he does a right roundoff and hurdles by lifting his left knee on vault??

I am looking at Horton's vault and tumbling to try to see what Dunno was talking about. It appears to me that he front tumbles twist right and twists right out of his double front half out vault.

However he does a right roundoff and hurdles by lifting his left knee on vault??

that is correct. but you see, a right round off twists left. a right round off is a left twist barani. so then, whether it's a single or double front 1/2 out [flifis or trifis like trampoline] it's still a barani out and a right round off twists left. Legendre had the same problem. had they both done more trampoline work, i surmise they would have twisted the same direction as their round off.:)

Okay I am still perplexed about right round off left twist I have tried visualizing it and trying to mimic it using a round off jump full turn. So I round off left - that is left foot is forward in my hurdle and if I try and twist right and I feel I am trying to unwind and thus it is very difficult. I then tried to round off jump full turn left which was comparatively easier. I just don't get it - it's at the point I think I have a weird round off or something

Okay I am still perplexed about right round off left twist I have tried visualizing it and trying to mimic it using a round off jump full turn. So I round off left - that is left foot is forward in my hurdle and if I try and twist right and I feel I am trying to unwind and thus it is very difficult. I then tried to round off jump full turn left which was comparatively easier. I just don't get it - it's at the point I think I have a weird round off or something

OK, I see what you are saying that his roundoff and vault should match. I can relate because I right roundoff and had so much trouble with twisting (right) until I decided to try left and it was easier.

However I am still perplexed as to why he hurdles on a different leg for his front entry vault than he hurdles on for his tumbling. I can't imagine vaulting with the 'wrong' hurdle leg.

shhhhh! it happens. it's one of those inexplicable things that happen in gymnastics.

how about those talented few that round off left, 1 1/2 twist step out to the right, and then step out on their right foot for the ensuing left round off for the next skill? i have also seen the opposite of right round off to left twist to right foot step out to accommodate the right round off.

you know that if you step out of a right 1 1/2 twist your left foot should step out first to carry on the right round off. how do you explain. heck if i know. inexplicably amazing that a child could be THAT coordinated and defy things that should be done to make the gymnastics seamless.:)

are we all confused yet?:)

This is so confusing, I can't even begin to understand. I don't even know what way I twist. I'm 90% sure I twist to the right when I do a full of more. When I've worked halfs I tend to go to the left.

Can anyone touch up on what arm should be posted (the one you put all your weight on) on blind changes and pirouettes? I have always been told that I do those wrong. I post on my right arm for both.

I'm right/right

depends on which way you would pirouette out/on which arm to make a blind full.:)

if you blind on your right, which means letting go with your left hand, and then you piro on your right arm, which means letting go again with your left hand, then you are doing a 1/2 1/2. for a "full" you must let go right and then left. you must see stomach/back or back/stomach for a giant full that is a "D". the other is a C, where you would see stomach/stomach or back/back, which still isn't all that bad.:)

Yeah I know): I don't do blind fulls piro because of that reason. I can't post on my left arm. I can do them with spot but without the help of a coach I can't do it...

tell him to teach you an 'outside' piro or what some coaches call a reverse piro.

now for beam and the Onodi. if a girl were to do an Onodi from a left cartwheel, the left cartwheel will land with the right leg in front and the left leg behind. now all of you stand where you are with your right leg in front of your left leg or what's called a "stride" position and with your feet approx 6 inches apart. ready?

while standing in this position, twist your body to the right and try to do a 1/2 turn to the right AND WITHOUT LETTING YOUR FEET OFF THE FLOOR..........done? you were done before you started. lol. you will notice that it can't be done. but what you feel happening at your crotch/inside thighs is that they are squeezing and closing even further to the point that you are not able to 1/2 turn. this is called "counter".

but now try to turn to the left........done? you will find this much easier and seamless and that your feet are able to turn easily without coming off the floor.

Nastia Liukin, 2008 Balance Beam Olympic Champion, stood with her right leg in front and twisted right into her Onodi. Some would say she has one of the best Onodi's in the world ...

She also steps forward leading with her right leg into handstands, cartwheels and roundoff's (left twisting cartwheel/roundoff) and leads into, or kicks as you described it, with her right leg on back handspring step out's and layout step out's. This is opposite to what you have been advocating Dunno....

actually, it's not. i have stated what the majority do worldwide. i have also stated that many of these things go both ways and a mix of things that make no sense. you'll have to go back and read the entirety of what i have posted.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back