WAG Leg cast and giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCMLA

Proud Parent
I'm not an ortho or sports med doctor, but I am a doctor. I am A coach either. Here is the scenario, prepubertal gymnast in a short leg cast for Severs. She's learning Giants over the pit bar with a spot. They're letting her work them in her short leg cast. I understand that fiberglass is a lot lighter than plaster but my brain is still worried that that extra weight can be affecting her hip and knee (growth plate and ligaments). Am I off-base and being worried? This is an in real life friend so I am comfortable calling her if it will prevent her Gymnast from getting injured.
Any experience, insight, or guidance would be appreciated as I don't want to say anything if this is really OK but my professional brain is worried

That is just a bad plan. We all know that any extra weight will put extra strain on the other joints. Plus the weight distribution is unbalanced.

Tough when a kid is injured, but a smart coach should have plenty of other options than swinging bars in a cast.

a hard cast on for severs..... parents should of requested a brace, problem solved .... Probably safe to do strap bar with a shoe on the other foot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back