WAG Leg hold tips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does any one have any tips on how I could improve my leg hold? I have been trying to reach a certain level of flexibility lately to have a wider straddle in cartwheels/aerials and a wider split in my FHS SO. My coach told me to just stretch, and I have been….. for the past 6 months.

I have my splits almost all the way down so I don’t know why my leg hold is so bad. Any advice? Here are some pictures for reference:
Splits:
7AC5600B-24CB-42D9-83AF-28EDEC2C118B.jpeg

Good leg leg hold:
4F7CBB77-4124-46BF-B522-72F10AAF69F4.jpeg

Bad leg leg hold:

152313F4-6D2F-4930-9FF6-28B902E25F6A.jpeg

I know leg holds aren’t technically a skill, but they look cool on beam ( and in pictures lol). I can only hold them for 5-10 seconds before falling over. I thought since my splits are so close I’d have a high leg hold as well but that isn’t the case.
Any tips?
I appreciate your responses!

Not. I just talked to my daughter's coach about this. If there's light underneath and/or you're not perfectly square front to back it's not considered as being down.
Yes, my coach said the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know my splits aren’t completely down….I said almost. My point was that my half-baked splits were still better than my leg hold for some reason.
In a split, your body weight is pulling you into a greater stretch. When you hold your leg, you're fighting the weight of your leg which is why I mentioned your hip flexors.

Yo, don't you have school?
Depends on what you mean by school........I am in school 24/7 since I am homeschooled :)

I admit it was a pretty stupid statement for me to say, "My point was that my half-baked splits were still better than my leg hold for some reason" since it just demonstrates my lack of knowledge in basic physics (and common sense) and how incredibly weak my arms are lol

I'm just frustrated my flexibility isn't improving at this point despite stretching every day

Depends on what you mean by school........I am in school 24/7 since I am homeschooled :)

I admit it was a pretty stupid statement for me to say, "My point was that my half-baked splits were still better than my leg hold for some reason" since it just demonstrates my lack of knowledge in basic physics (and common sense) and how incredibly weak my arms are lol

I'm just frustrated my flexibility isn't improving at this point despite stretching every day
Try one of her vids... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7W5j5Q96LTScaZSyuLFX8A

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back