Parents Leo question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've never had any leo shrink in the dryer and we have owned at least one of nearly every brand. We've not had issues with stones, sequins, or foil coming off either. How odd.
Ours never shrunk either. The dryer is really bad for mystique fabric though. You are fortunate to not have noticed any issues. It can remove the foil and dull the color. I have seen girls in leos that were clearly washed poorly.

Ours never shrunk either. The dryer is really bad for mystique fabric though. You are fortunate to not have noticed any issues. It can remove the foil and dull the color. I have seen girls in leos that were clearly washed poorly.

DD has a couple of pricier leos that were gifts (Aly Raisman GK sort of things) and I do insist on hand washing those. Anything with bling I'll wash in the washer but hang dry.

Agree, this is the one fabric that washer/dryer can mess with, the top layer of the fabric gets rubbed off. Though found it really helps if you wash and dry inside out.

Reactions: sce
Never had a leo shrink here either. I'm a huge fan of etsy (Leo Lines) and Look-it leos out of Oregon. Awesome for practice leos and reasonable prices. At Stars and Stripes this year GK had a HUGE sale rack and DD got leos for $20. I think I'll wait for meets to get sale leos this year rather than order online unless she needs them. She only wears under armour or nike pro shorts so those I can get anywhere.
You should have her try Soffe dri fit shorts! My DD loves them! They have lots of fun patterns too!

I hand wash all Leo's, and never had one that didn't last! I've been able to sell all outgrown on Facebook or eBay or our gym. Handwashing in draft and hang to dry.. can't go wrong. Plus I let the leo bin pile up and hand wash all together.

That being said, eBay is amazing for deals. I'd say my daughter prefers ozone, alpha factor, and GK elite Leo's, but she has one from garland she thinks is comfy! Ozone does clearance sales, eBay is amazing, garland has sales, and discountleotards.com has pretty good prices for GK and alpha factor. Leo sizing is made for about 3 clothing sizes per one leo size, so Leo's should last a while

We are big fans of Snowflake leotards. They often have Grab bag leotards (you dont know what exactly you will get, but can let them know preferences - they will do their best to accommodate... like loves / hates velvet or blue or whatever).
They have a leotard of the month for $20.17 and they have some clearance leotards.
Their Texas Strong leotard is like $40.

If you want GK at a great price, try http://www.mgoodguy.com/
He has great prices on Brand New GK leotards... and if you buy spend a certain amount, there is a further discount.

Agree, this is the one fabric that washer/dryer can mess with, the top layer of the fabric gets rubbed off. Though found it really helps if you wash and dry inside out.
Wash and dry inside out and don't let the detergent come into direct contact with the leotard and all should be good.
Definitely don't try to remove stains by applying even a gentle detergent even to the inside of a mystique leotard - trust me.

Reactions: sce
I hate that I know this. Shame.

Here is the number to the gk outlet in reading PA.

+1 610-372-2419

Trick is that really there is no Leo not at the outlet. If you call with a Leo you want they will sell it to you at the outlet price. Shipping is One price so get a few.

I drive to the outlet. The man is semi unpleasant but the prices are great.

My kiddo likes K-Bee and Snowflake. K-Bee seems more durable so far. She also has some Lizatards leos that were affordable and lasted a long time.

We've never had any leo shrink in the dryer and we have owned at least one of nearly every brand. We've not had issues with stones, sequins, or foil coming off either. How odd.
Not to cause trouble, but I just find this hard to believe. They all shrink, and the shiny comes off, and they fade. I've only accidentally put one in the dryer, and it shrunk. My daughter was not happy.

All my kids Leo's go through the washer and dryer, except current comp one. It has mesh and bling.

I haven't have any shrink.

Not to cause trouble, but I just find this hard to believe. They all shrink, and the shiny comes off, and they fade. I've only accidentally put one in the dryer, and it shrunk. My daughter was not happy.
We havent had any leotards shrink either.
And the only shine coming off we had was from detergent coming into direct contact with the leotard.
Heck, we even wash competition leotards in the washer and dry them in the dryer with no issues.

This is making me nervous just reading it. I think I need to go breathe into a paper bag!
no mesh... the old ones had sequinz instead of stones. The new ones have a few stones, but inside out on handwash or delicate, depending on who is washing it, in the washer: first detergent goes in (and vinegar goes into the fabric softener hole), then water is run. Once there is enough water, the leotards (and warm ups, also inside out and jackets zipped - actually it goes jackets, pants, THEN leotards) are added.
After that, into the dryer for 20 minutes (small load doesnt take much time). Then they are good to go back on the hangers and in the closet.

We found Jillybean leotards to be a good discount brand for younger girls. We had to sift through the offerings to find ones we liked, but they lasted for years (through 2 gymmies) with very minimal wear and fading.

I'm also another one who washes and dries everything except the comp Leo (which is machine washed, but not dried). I use woolite, add it to the water in advance, turn the leos inside out and dry on low, but that's it. I've never had a problem with shrinking or with Mystique fabrics. We don't do foil prints, though, so I can't speak to that. The only crystals that have ever fallen off were applied after the fact at a meet with a hot press (and even then it was 1 or 2 little crystals). Anything that came originally on the Leo has been fine.

Oh... I have to add that several of our machine washed and dried leotards have gone through 2 or even 3-4 gymnasts. Some we got new for OG, then YG wore them, then LSS, then I sold them or gave them to someone else.
Some were bought new for YG and went thru LSS and were sold or given away.
Others were received used already by any number of gymnasts, then OG or YG or both wore them, then they were passed on again.
One of OG's team leotards from 2008 was worn every year through 2013 (4th wearer). I am not sure WHAT happened to it with the last wearer, but when her mom gave it back at the end of the season (they were moving away, I never asked for it back), the velvet on the bottom was so worn that we finally had to get rid of it. It had still looked brand new when she received it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back