WAG Leotard prices?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

Vivianflips

My gym just got new leotards this year, the L3-5 ones cost $300! :eek: So out of my (and my mothers!) own curiosity, is this an average price for a compulsory leotard? I'm competing xcel this year and have been assured we'll be getting more affordable competition leotards! (Xcel, compulsory, and optionals will all have different leotards at my gym)

It does not have to cost that much, but yes. Leos can get pretty expensive. You'll probably be also asked to purchase warm up suit that can also cost $200+. My experience is for leo and warm up suit, $400 is average and it certainly goes up from there.

This year, for leo, warm ups, and bag combined, our team is paying $250 if they have to purchase new.

For the most part, it is all about the bling! Crystals cost more than sequins. Custom designs cost more than stock designs.

Our gym keeps costs low. Same leo for all levels, usually around $100-120.

Warmup is also around $100.

We alternate years and each year is either a leo year OR a warmup year. So except your first year on team, you are only buying one item/year (unless you outgrew or ruined it the prior year.)

Our gym keeps costs low. Same leo for all levels, usually around $100-120.

Warmup is also around $100.

We alternate years and each year is either a leo year OR a warmup year. So except your first year on team, you are only buying one item/year (unless you outgrew or ruined it the prior year.)
Ours is also the same for all levels... and we keep the same ones for multiple years. This will be the third year for our current setup. I have heard rumblings of a new leotard next year, so as long as we keep the same warm ups, I will not complain too much :)

We keep the price down by doing our bling in-house, but they still cost $300 for the leo plus warm-ups.

We have the same leo, no matter the level. From the littles to the bigs.

Was about 150.00 No bling though, no sequins or crystals.

Warm up was 150.00 Bags 57.00

All girls have the same leo.
And the cost is what it would be for my DH, DD and I to go out to dinner at a decent restaurant, with a NICE bottle of vino....

Those prizes are just crazy. As a coach I always try to make sure we choose cheap but still elegant leos for gymnasts. In here it's very common that kids have to buy two leos - one for practice and one for comp. Practice leos are worn at almost every practice and they use them at camps also. Every group has it's own style. Practice leos are simple print leos, they can be washed in washing machine and they have to last at least a year. They only cost something like 30 or 40 euros (33-45 USD) . Competition leos are usually a bit more expensive because of the long sleeves and materials, but there's no way I would choose a leo that costed more than 150 euros (170 USD) for any compulsory team. Last year my gym had sleeveless leo for compulsories and it was 45 euros. It was nice and simple. MAYBE for optionals I would consider something more expensive but not for compulsories.

Coaches, please try to remember that gymnastics is not beauty contest! It shouldn't make your team any better if they had leotards worth 500! The leotards need to fit well and be nice and clean but judges don't care about the bling you have. They want to see good gymnastics!

At old gym, I designed the team apparel, and cost for the GK compulsory team Leo with bling was $95 while the optional Leo was $155. The gym tacked on a small up charge.
The warm up was velour and mystique, with lots of bling and it was $120....(not GK) again, a small up charge....

Not at all bad, but the objective was to get the MOST with the lowest cost. Current gym, of course is $375 and, NO, unfortunately I am in no way involved with the process......washing the darn thing is a ritualistic event!

I think the prices are a bit insensitive, however what I am getting in training is worth it.

Our pre-team and level 2 have the option of getting a leo - its a Gk tank for about $60 I think. L3-L8 have the same leo - I think it was somewhere in the $100 range. However, we also fundraise to cut prices off our leos, so I'm not sure what the real price was. Our warm ups have been about $90 in the past. We also do every other year we get new warm ups/leos. We alternate. Our backpacks were free the past two years, they were banquet gifts. However this year I beieve we have to purchase them

We got new leos this year - xcel was 185 and JO was 230. We got warmups last year and those were 175. We keep each for 2 years, so will get new warm ups again next year.

I don't mean to side track but I just don't get forced purchase and wearing of a practice Leo.

Thankfully our kids wear what they want to practice, as long as it's a Leo.

Although there are times they (the girls)!plan to wear a certain Leo on the same day like a past end of year Leo or they pick a color for practice.

Reactions: COz
Leo, warm up and team bag was $380. We are new so needed to buy everything new. Late orders were about $50 more because of a discount we got for the size of the order and how early we ordered. All team kids (2-10, xcel and T&T) wear the same uniform.

Typically gym alternates new warm up and new Leo every other year.

In a relatively expensive sport, I am happy to pay a lot for good training, and generally feel that our coaches are all underpaid for their skill level.

The leotard costs, however, have always seemed absurd to me, and have little to do with good gymnastics. Gyms weve been at have been in the $250+ range from L3 up. (That is for leo only)

Our leo this year (same for compulsory and optional) was over $400. I've learned to think of it this way - DD will wear for 2 years, which will be 12-14 times maybe more. If she were in dance, there would be several costumes worn once for recital, one for picture day and maybe dress rehearsal times 2 years!

Gymnastics is not cheap, it is what it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back