WAG Leotard ride up "in front" eek

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sasha

Proud Parent
Ok, I have read other posts on leotard fit, and 'ride up' in the back, but it seems my DD(8) has the problem of leos creating the dreaded, ahem, 'front' wedgie. Ladies, you know what I mean.

Let's just say the outline of certain frontal parts is very obvious, especially in her comp leo. I especially notice in posed photos of her, but it's obvious to me other times as well. The girls are told not to wear any undergarments beneath the leos. They are GK.

Is this just a normal part of gymnastics, akin to male competitive swimmers showing obvious, um, contours beneath the swim garment? Or is there a way to adjust/combat this?

I have resorted to photoshopping some pics before sending to friends/family to smooth out that 'area'. Just wondering if this is normal and acceptable, or if something isn't fitting or adjusted properly...

Anyone else have this issue and how to deal (or not deal) with it?

Just wondering!

:oops:

i've seen that but not death with it with my dd so don't really have any experience to share. but, at some point, a lot girls do wear undergarments so that they can wear feminine products. i'd buy some of the gk undergarments and see if that helps! they have panties as well as one-piece.

I once saw some infomercial or youtube about this product. I can't find the video, but it's called "Camel-Not". I swear to you it's real! Just not sure if it's comfortable, or if wearing it would make a child real self-conscious. But I thought I'd share.

My dd wears the GK panties and they work great. They're cut high and fit snug, so they don't peek out from under her leo which is very high cut.

I once saw some infomercial or youtube about this product. I can't find the video, but it's called "Camel-Not". I swear to you it's real! Just not sure if it's comfortable, or if wearing it would make a child real self-conscious. But I thought I'd share.

oh my, what a product name (!) Almost scared to Google that, but now I'm so curious....(!) Oh my, lol.

Is the leo too short in the torso?

Possibly - the ultra-fitted comp leo is the worst offender, but that is what they fit her in using the sample sizing GK leos. I can barely get it on her without ripping the neck trying to get her arms in. She's says it's comfy, though. I have also noticed her getting that wedgie in leos that appear a bit too loose in the crotch area (too much fabric?), but otherwise well fitted, so the extra fabric gets stuck in an unsightly way.

I avoid making a habit of glancing at other girls' leo fittedness in that area(!) so I'm trying to figure out if this is a common problem, or a problem with the garment, or just normal...?

Oh my gosh, that commercial had me burst out laughing!

I personally never had any problems with leos and that area, but it must be frustrating. I feel like it might depend on the leo's fit and / or fabric? For instance, my team's competition leos were always made out of a velvety and a bit more... uh thick material that concealed quite a bit. Undergarments were always discouraged, but tolerated if they fit the leo's color. Maybe you could ask a female coach about it, lol? Photoshopping her pictures seems like time better spent on something else, if there is a solution to the problem!

I have noticed that GK leos really fit my DD well, but other brands tend to rumple in weird places, even though it's the right size. Have you tried another brand of leo, at least for practice? There are also some custom leo makers on etsy that could make a leo with an extra inch of fabric to the seam underneath.

For competition, you could try ordering the leo a size bigger, and have the sleeves taken up, and the sides taken in, but leave the length in the torso. At the very least, try the GK underwear. I hope you get it figured out! This issue would drive me bonkers, especially if it's pronounced enough to show up in pictures.

DD has a white comp leo with no lining, completely see through.She wears a GK nude colored liner that is stitched in at a few places.

She has tried the Ten-O high cut underwear, but it completely showed - both around the leg openings, and also the outline of the waistline was very obvious under the leo so it was obvious she was wearing a brief. She hated it. We threw them away.

So I've been skeptical of trying other official gymnastics underwear...

She has worn the Justice seamless string bikinis, which are the only undies we've found that don't show around the legs of her leos, but even those have a detectable outline through the leo, so it's obvious she is wearing an undergarment. Looking at the GK brief design, it sure seems like those would have the same issue, though I will likely resort to buying a pair just to try. The coaches really don't want panty lines.

The video product is interesting, but I'm not sure how well or long that would stay in place for gymnastics - and also seems like it would show in a tight leo. It made me think, though, maybe a thin pantyliner could help....?

I don't even want to tell her that this is an issue! I don't want to make her self conscious of her body at 8 years old and have her worry about one more thing in competitions! But from replies (thank you!), it sounds like it's not really so typical, and we should experiment more with trying to resolve this rather than letting it go.

Once my girls started wearing underwear with leos (for meets), we have always bought the GK briefs....

Oh, that link had me screaming with laughter.

Most of the UK manufacturers sew in a gusset-line. I have often wondered why the US companies don't.

Me, too! Seems so obvious. Though we have one with a light cotton gusset inside (a handmade one from Etsy) and it still causes the same issue, but less.

Oh, that link had me screaming with laughter.

Most of the UK manufacturers sew in a gusset-line. I have often wondered why the US companies don't.

Not as invisible as a thong;)

Anyone actually try a thong under a leo? Admittedly, it's not my preferred undergarment, but I'm told it's something you get used to. And I've never worn a leo either, so I'm clueless as to whether this would be a solution or a disaster for an 8 year old o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back