WAG Leotards for Older gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l_gymnast

Gymnast
Hi, this is my first post after using as a guest for almost a year! I'm a 14 year old gymnast who is in the need of new leos. I like many of gk's designs but they are very pricey. I typically prefer a plain leo like the gymtek and branded basics from gk. I've looked everywhere and can't find leotards like they used to make, they all have words or ugly patterns. If you have any suggestions plz let me know!! Thanks!!

Have you tried Plum Practicewear? My DD likes them and says they're comfy. They run a bit smallish though.

There are tons of plain-ish leos out there. All of the dreamlights that we've bought have been fairly plain, and very comfy. My best luck with gk leotards has been on eBay. There is a store on eBay that sells new gk stuff and a lot of it is much plainer than typical, and all of it is very cheap. They have a good selection for bigger sizes too.

There are tons of plain-ish leos out there. All of the dreamlights that we've bought have been fairly plain, and very comfy. My best luck with gk leotards has been on eBay. There is a store on eBay that sells new gk stuff and a lot of it is much plainer than typical, and all of it is very cheap. They have a good selection for bigger sizes too.

Where do you find the Dreamlight leos? On their website they only seem to sell custom competition leos. I will follow this thread as I am older, and cannot stand practicing in mystique, glitter, or neon colors and crazily cut leotards.

Wow thanks so much!! I really love the dream leos. I can handle mystique but definitely not any leos that say #selfie or "stick it". Destira is what we have at my gym and unfortunately in my opinion there pretty tacky for an older gymnast.

Snowflake also offers more plain leotards... And when they have grab bag leotards available, you can include a note about preferring more plain (no words, etc) and they are great about accommodating.

I remember how leotards used to be so simple along the lines of the super stretchy material and a big back cutout. I have to admit the cutouts were nice for hot summer days given it reaches 105 here. I also have noticed that my older leos are much higher cut not sure if they just don't fit as well though.

Dreamlight continue to be my DD's favorite - she has also never loved the 'cutesy' leo look, preferring more elegant or sporty. But she swears the seaming in the Dreamlight leos is the smoothest / least scratchy.

Dreamlight is having a fab sale right now. But note, shipping can be a bit pricey, so best if you are bundling several purchases or shopping with a friend.

Note that the "Clearance" section mentioned above sometimes has different items than the current "Sale" section (they run different promotions throughout the year). Odd, but have to check both. Here is the current "February Savings" (Sale) list.. - click on your size to see items.

http://www.dreamleos.com/savings.aspx

Snowflake also offers more plain leotards... And when they have grab bag leotards available, you can include a note about preferring more plain (no words, etc) and they are great about accommodating.

I like some of the snowflake designs but I swear I've seen the same designs for 5 years!! It seems they never come out with anything new. But they do have some nice leos.

Hi, this is my first post after using as a guest for almost a year! I'm a 14 year old gymnast who is in the need of new leos. I like many of gk's designs but they are very pricey. I typically prefer a plain leo like the gymtek and branded basics from gk. I've looked everywhere and can't find leotards like they used to make, they all have words or ugly patterns. If you have any suggestions plz let me know!! Thanks!!
Garland Activewear is a great brand. They have lots of simple leos.

They look nice, do they run small enough to size up. I usually wear an AXS.

I think so, yes. As my DD first moved into a GK AXS, she could barely squeeze into an AXS from Plum. She's 4'11" and some 80-85lbs or so and Plum's adult smalls have some room but are not "big" (whereas the AS from GK are far too large for her to wear).

I think so, yes. As my DD first moved into a GK AXS, she could barely squeeze into an AXS from Plum. She's 4'11" and some 80-85lbs or so and Plum's adult smalls have some room but are not "big" (whereas the AS from GK are far too large for her to wear).

Okay thank you, I currently wear an AXS at 5'2" and 105 lbs. I have a stockier physique. Does your daughter typically prefer not super snug leos? I think when I was that size I wore a CL. Maybe I'm just crazy.

We ordered our Xcel team leos this year through Dancewear Solutions. They have some solid mystique leos for like $20.00. Just make sure to look at the size chart. They run much more true to "normal street clothes sizes." For example, an AL in a GK leo is snug on me, but an AS in the Balera leo fit, but was quite tight, while the AM fit very comfortably. An AL would have been huge.

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/shop/gymnastics/leotards

Okay thank you, I currently wear an AXS at 5'2" and 105 lbs. I have a stockier physique. Does your daughter typically prefer not super snug leos? I think when I was that size I wore a CL. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Wellllllll.... She's got a fairly wide chest/shoulders and a longish torso compared to the rest of her frame, and she also can't stand anything feeling "tight" near her underarms. :) So yes, it often means sizing up a little sooner than maybe the average kid might. That said, she's seriously outgrown all CL GK/UA workout leotards - she could maybe squeeze into 1 or 2 yet, but doesn't.

Her comp leo is a GK CL, and it has a little bit of give yet, but we find comp leos to run larger than the in-stock tanks (and no tank strap to bug her underarms...).

She's got room to grow in her AXS leos, but it definitely seems to be her 'size' these days. Except we've been buying AS in Plum.

I'd definitely suggest trying an AS or AM in Plum. It seems to be pretty universal that they run about a size or so smaller than GK.

Dancewear solutions does have good prices and fast shipping, but I've found that there isn't much elastic at the bottom... it can be a bit saggy or it will move around a lot as there is no elastic to hold it in place. Not a problem if you are allowed shorts for training.
Melody leotards is another favourite of mine as you can choose your own colours. This allows you to stay away from bright neons or patterns.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back