WAG Leotards... sport bras... spandex... etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

at my gym, we're required to wear leos always (no rolling them down) and then for warming up we're allowed to wear shorts, but no tops. after warm up is over, everything but the leotard has to come off, even for bars. our HC is very strict about dress code! for me, i just wear a leo and shorts for warm up because i personally don't need a sports bra:rolleyes:

I wear a leotard, training bra :rolleyes:, and shorts or pants depending on the weather. Team girls can wear shorts if they wish. I love Plum and Motionwear leotards! Plum is definetely a good price option, I love that they have a liner too!

When I was in USAG we had to wear tank leos with or without shorts or leggings for every practice. We could also wear tight fitted athletic long sleeves for colder months. Those that needed to wore sports bras. I started wearing tight tank tops (with my leotard folded down) and shorts before I left for university and the coaches were cool with that too, though I was the oldest and didn't need a lot of spotting. If I ever did I'd pull up my leotard anyway. The coaches were NOT okay with bare stomachs showing or just sports bras. Depending on the warm up we did as a team we could wear looser clothing (like sweats, jackets, and pajamas) over our leotards).

Now for college club I can wear what ever we want. So either a sports bra and shorts or a leotard and shorts. Tank tops, regardless of how tight, roll up and I don't like that interfering with my gymnastics.

My favorite leotards are made by Prizm and Rebecca's Mom. My favorite shorts are made my Fila and Under Armor (I have like a bagillion different brands honestly). And my favorite sports bras are New Balance and Jockey.

The girls at our gym wear leos and sports bra, if desired/needed.

I never see any girls in shorts, even over their leos.

I find it so interesting how much looser the rules tend to be at many gyms for the guys than they are for the gals, especially given the justifications offered for the stricter rules for the gals (i.e., "no shorts over your leo before a meet so you don't feel weird competing without them" or "you can't just wear a tight fitting teeshirt rather than a leo or go with just a sports bra because it's not safe for spotting"). Apparently these safety and comfort sauces aren't fit for the ganders!

On DD's side, everyone wears leos, but they can wear shorts or capris and even sweatshirts during warmups if they want. Gymnastics shorts or capris are fine for workouts as well, though there is an unenforced norm that shorts shouldn't be worn 2 weeks out from a meet. The boys can wear whatever they want as long as they don't have shorts with pockets and they have pommel pants for doing pommels. Loose teeshirts are removed during events requiring spotting. DS started a trend with the younger guys of working out in unitards and gymnastics shorts, though it's not universal. Many guys work out shirtless and the singlet guys will sometimes roll theirs down, but his internal thermostat is not wired for that.

My dd wears briefs and sports bra, a leotard and sometimes shorts. She will frequently wear socks as well because her feet get very cold. A lot of the girls wear socks off and on during practice if their feet get cold and it is no big deal. No capris or pants, no tanks over the leotards, no rolling them down or anything.

We have no set dress code and the coaches are not permitted to comment on a child's attire. So while no one at the gym is particularly comfortable with the girls who come in 2-piece sets, we are not allowed to say anything. This is particularly tough when the child complains about bars scraping her stomach o_O. Though I have a hard time imagining rolled down leos would be allowed.
My pre-team girls once commented on a girl in a 2-piece suit admiring it and planning to come to the next practice that way when they asked if I was okay with it, I quickly put an end to it.
Our team girls are a little more restricted in what they can wear, but many still wear lose fitting t-shirts throughout a practice which drives me nuts, especially when they have a leo underneath. It just looks sloppy and spotter's hands can get tangled too easily.

HC likes team girls to wear a leotard... shorts if they want... sports bra if they want / need. We have had a few 2 piece leotard sets (3 girls had to go straight to dance after and they had a dance dress code. They wore that on those days). For the HS and JHS teams, coach is a little more lenient - tight tank tops and shorts/leggings are permitted... with or without the leotard.
We have a lot of GK and AF and Snowflake leotards and fewer Motionwear, Jillybeans, and Rebecca's Mom and very few others.

CoachMolly, that's insane that you guys can't comment on the gymnasts attire! I feel for you, that must be difficult. There's nothing wrong with a dress code, most sports have them.... In fact, I really like when dress codes are clear and concise, *and* enforced. I don't allow my pre-team kids to wear shorts either, why set them up for that when it's not allowed on team..?
Rec kids can wear anything they want as long as it doesn't restrict movement or presents any sort of hazard. I have had to speak to a couple of parents about letting their kids come to gym in jeans or long dresses..! ;) Some rec kids wear shorts/tees but lots wear leos.

Our girls are to wear a leo for practice. Spandex shorts are required for conditioning and stretching at the end. No two pieces and I've never heard of rolling leos down. Our girls don't seem to try and push the limits.

Our girls are to wear a leo for practice. Spandex shorts are required for conditioning and stretching at the end. No two pieces and I've never heard of rolling leos down. Our girls don't seem to try and push the limits.

shorts are required for conditioning and stretching? That seems odd.

No shorts or extra clothing allowed at DD's gym for team, ever - just a leo, worn properly.

At DDs gym the JO girls seem to wear their leos rolled down often, and plenty wear sports bras and shorts. The Xcel girls seem to all wear leos, but with shorts. My DD won't wear shorts from December on because she wants every practice to feel the way meets will. My other DD, for T&T, always wears a leo and shorts to practice, but almost everyone wears regular clothes. Only about 10% of the time does anyone else wear a leo at all.

Leos, no 2-piece sets.

Old HC did not allow shorts over leos, but he is gone now and rules seem to have relaxed.

Girls who need them wear sports bras underneath - they are the only ones who roll leos after practice, never during.

DD basically has exclusively GK leos, some nicer and some just inexpensive ones sold by the gym.

shorts are required for conditioning and stretching? That seems odd.

No shorts or extra clothing allowed at DD's gym for team, ever - just a leo, worn properly.

Yeah, I'm not sure the specifics... but I think it has something to do with the stretching. Just to make sure the girls all feel comfortable. They don't have to have them on for conditioning, but usually everyone, if not wearing them before, throws them on at that time because stretching follows conditioning at the end of practice.

Yeah, I'm not sure the specifics... but I think it has something to do with the stretching. Just to make sure the girls all feel comfortable. They don't have to have them on for conditioning, but usually everyone, if not wearing them before, throws them on at that time because stretching follows conditioning at the end of practice.
I'm thinking of stretching maybe because splits show more :rolleyes: if you know what I mean.... and conditioning I think maybe for self confidence - the larger girls.... if you know what I mean again.

Our girls are only required to wear a leotard, usually a tank although occasionally a few girls will wear long sleeve leos during the winter months, but even then they get hot really quick. Sports bras and briefs are worn when needed, and spandex shorts are optional. Two piece leotards are not allowed and neither are rolling leotards and just wearing sports bras.

We allow our girls to warm up (first 30 minutes of practice) with sweat-pants or yoga pants on and occasionally sweatshirts depending on weather, but after stretching they must take it off before heading to their first event.

I really don't understand why so many gyms don't allow spandex shorts to be worn. I understand that they can't wear them at meets but wearing shorts to practice is just a comfort thing, and I personally felt a lot more relaxed and comfortable when wearing them. (It's not like you make your gymnasts wear only long sleeve leos at practice to prepare for meets, that would be insane). Besides, there are typically only 5-6 meets per year whereas some girls practice 5-6 times per WEEK so I really don't understand the whole preparation aspect of training without shorts. I could totally understand the week before a meet not allowing shorts, but the entire YEAR? I just don't get it.

I don't get the no shorts thing either.
Our girls all wear shorts all the time and have no problem not wearing them at comps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back