Leotards... weird question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm still doing gymnastics and competing (I'm actually competing in the Empire State Games tomorrow) and I just recently bought some of those new adidas leotards that are really shiny. Well today I realized the shiny-ness is coming off of the one already! So I'm curious, how do you guys keep your leos shiny? I've never really had all shiny leos like this and I don't know if I like the way this foiled material just comes off. Any pointers? Any tips on how to stop it from spreading? or is it toast?

This may sound like I'm asking the obvious...or maybe not, but are you hand-washing them? Most of my leos still look pretty good, though I will admit to some fading, but hey-some of them have been around for 3+ years.

Those babies should never see the inside of the dryer. I've never had a problem with the washing machine (I turn them inside out) but hang to dry, hang to dry! And not in the sun either. They're gonna dry fast especially out of a machine with a spin cycle.

Our gym has had issues with leos made by GK that have the metallic/foil fabric. The one my gymmie got for her comp leo had the color rubbing off leaving the silver fabric showing after 2 rotations in her 1st meet. The leo had not been washed at all. I did email GK and they asked me to send the leo back. They agreed it was defective and made her a new one.

If the leos have not been washed, contact the manufacturer and ask about sending them back. Once they've been washed usually the manufacturers will claim its your fault and not do anything.

Our gym has had issues with leos made by GK that have the metallic/foil fabric. The one my gymmie got for her comp leo had the color rubbing off leaving the silver fabric showing after 2 rotations in her 1st meet. The leo had not been washed at all. I did email GK and they asked me to send the leo back. They agreed it was defective and made her a new one.

Yeah, they lie though, because it happens a lot for them to just be defective. Is it the dot metallic? All of ours had random silver patches after awhile (and we only wore them at meets, obviously not to work out). The dots are really silver with whatever color over them, and the top layer rubs off in parts. What I never got is that it didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Most of the underarm areas were affected but then there would be a random patch say on the forearm where you wouldn"t think stuff would usually be rubbing.

We actually took a survey at our gym....leos handwashed in liquid Dreft or liquid Ivory Snow & hung out to dry(no dyers).... held up best. Powder laundry soaps seem to cause a problem on shiny suits.

I've got an older shiny GK one (with the colored foiled dots about 1mm big) that's kept the color and the shiny bits reasonably well by avoiding the washing machine like the plague, it's mostly just been rinsed in cold water after use. I think the only time it's ever seen soap was probably shampoo in the shower, as that one was mostly used as a swimsuit (the way the straps are, can't hide my sports bras under it, and got it the last time I took gymnastics...8 years ago). Yeah, I like to blind people on the beach. ;-) But if anything, the regular nylon trim seems to have faded a bit more than the shiny bits! So maybe try the rinse in cold water and occasional shampoo hand wash if it's really starting to smell thing.

ETA: *Not* exposed to chlorine that I can recall, only saltwater.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back