Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
technique-text.jpg

Thanks to @Flippinmom for starting this thread... great discussion. Below is the original post from @Flippinmom...

Can we discuss technique? How do you know if your current gym is teaching proper technique? The more I learn about gymnastics the more I realize how little I know! Besides bent knees and other obvious things, what does good technique mean?

I feel like this thread could go on almost forever... so I'm going to hijack it and feature it!

What does good technique mean to you? How do you look for it in a club?​

Last edited:
Can we discuss technique? How do you know if your current gym is teaching proper technique? The more I learn about gymnastics the more I realize how little I know! Besides bent knees and other obvious things, what does good technique mean?

Wow... that's such a tough question... you are going to have to give some specific examples. I'll give you my opinion... but you may get different answers as well.

Wow... that's such a tough question... you are going to have to give some specific examples. I'll give you my opinion... but you may get different answers as well.
Thanks for the response! I’m hoping to hear a variety of answers, and I realize it can be broken down by skill… but I guess I was hoping to start a general discussion more than anything.

Many people talk about having to unlearn bad habits or sloppy technique when they switch gyms. I’m wondering what kinds of things they have to correct and how to identify if a gym is teaching proper technique or bad habits

Thanks for the response! I’m hoping to hear a variety of answers, and I realize it can be broken down by skill… but I guess I was hoping to start a general discussion more than anything.

Sure... that's the issue with gymnastics technique... the one thing you mentioned is not what I consider technique (bent knees is bad form / a lack of strength or flex). The thing is that it's not really a general discussion... it's very very specific. It is specific to each and every movement / skill.

Many people talk about having to unlearn bad habits or sloppy technique when they switch gyms. I’m wondering what kinds of things they have to correct and how to identify if a gym is teaching proper technique or bad habits

Ok... here's your lead in... clubs that over shape on bars only to create jerky (non-fluid) motions. Clubs that only do straight body casting. Clubs that only work the "compulsory" tap swing and not an advanced "vertical" tap. Clubs that can run a 9.7+ on compulsory bars but none of their kids can cast handstand. Clubs that don't work rhythm on bars. This is all the same club.

Here's another one... not working a correct handstand (specifically on bars) as a gymnast start moving into optionals. This is extremely important technique. Here is what I am talking about...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.53.52 PM.png

I'd say your best bet is to look at their level 8 and up kids. If a gym does extremely well at compulsory-level competition, but drops off hard at optionals, that might be a sign that they're teaching to the compulsory routines, rather than to the underlying technique.
Not inherently a dealbreaker, because it could also just be the result of a recent change in coaching whose benefit has only kicked in in the last few years -- but it means their technical training deserves some scrutiny. But when you walk into a new gym, don't let yourself be overly impressed by lots of low-level trophies and banners; the upper-level success or failure is a more reliable indicator of the quality of training at the lower levels.

Last edited:
I'd say your best bet is to look at their level 8 and up kids. If a gym does extremely well at compulsory-level competition, but drops off hard at optionals, that's a sign that they're teaching to the compulsory routines, rather than to the underlying technique.

This is it.

Sure... that's the issue with gymnastics technique... the one thing you mentioned is not what I consider technique (bent knees is bad form / a lack of strength or flex). The thing is that it's not really a general discussion... it's very very specific. It is specific to each and every movement / skill.

Ok... so I need to explain this one more. I guess if a club doesn't work on form at all then that would be "bad technique"... however... I would say that is just more "junk gymnastics". Honestly... if a club doesn't work on form... then they just have no clue as to what they are doing.

Now if a specific athlete can do a skill... but they have bent legs... I would not necessarily consider that "bad technique". They could just be in the learning phase of the skill. Or they may be a younger athletes with poor flexibility. Or they may be an athlete that has recently grown that needs to work strength. Etc... etc.

For me, I have learned that the biggest indicator of good technique is not if a young child who is small can do the big skills but if they can do them AFTER they have their puberty growth spurt. DD's coaches emphasize that strong technique is what enables adult bodies to do the big skills.

For me, I have learned that the biggest indicator of good technique is not if a young child who is small can do the big skills but if they can do them AFTER they have their puberty growth spurt. DD's coaches emphasize that strong technique is what enables adult bodies to do the big skills.

Ok... I really need to add the 100% reaction.

This is such a great point.

Honestly, if I were a parent looking for a gym, probably the biggest thing I'd look for is a gym with lots of older girls. Because that tells me that they're training in a way which is sustainable.

Last edited:
Here's another one... not working a correct handstand (specifically on bars) as a gymnast start moving into optionals. This is extremely important technique. Here is what I am talking about...

View attachment 8609
Jumping off of this... I definitely notice a lot of E and F handstands in level 7-10 on bars. But if the gymnast is getting credit for handstand and not getting form deductions, how important is the perfect handstand shape? Does it generate more power into circling skills or something or is it simply just "good technique"?

Jumping off of this... I definitely notice a lot of E and F handstands in level 7-10 on bars. But if the gymnast is getting credit for handstand and not getting form deductions, how important is the perfect handstand shape? Does it generate more power into circling skills or something or is it simply just "good technique"?
It generates more power, makes pirouettes easier and more efficient, provides a reliable and consistent starting point for the down swing (which leads to more consistent skill execution), and also just looks nice and is an indicator of a level of attention to detail, which will benefit all skills.

You're right, though; you see a LOT of those last two handstands at optionals, and I wish they got deducted more consistently.

You're right, though; you see a LOT of those last two handstands at optionals, and I wish they got deducted more consistently.
You see a lot in NCAA too with no deductions. Are there actual deductions for them in DP or NCAA? Or is it just an angle deduction for not being within 10*?

You see a lot in NCAA too with no deductions. Are there actual deductions for them in DP or NCAA? Or is it just an angle deduction for not being within 10*?
NCAA scoring is far too lenient imo.

But also, a lot of judges don't deduct over-hollowed handstands on bars, even though they should. There was this idea that took hold awhile back that hollow position was the answer to all questions, and what we're seeing now with over-hollowed handstands among college athletes is a direct result of that.

Jumping off of this... I definitely notice a lot of E and F handstands in level 7-10 on bars. But if the gymnast is getting credit for handstand and not getting form deductions, how important is the perfect handstand shape?

It is of extreme importance if you want to go up against the kids at the best clubs (@FlippinLilysMom). The best clubs have perfected the handstand and it allows them to be much more consistent at high level bars than most clubs. This type of club has the ability to take literally ZERO deductions on handstands and ALWAYS be in control.

Ok... in the image below... E & F are the worst errors possible. The body is not "stacked" at all so it becomes very difficult to teach upper level turning skills until this is fixed. I would attack these positions immediately on any gymnast doing it this way.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 12.16.48 PM.png

Here is another handstand chart. In the following chart "C" is also very bad...

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 12.30.53 PM.png

Good question there. Most of the deductions definitely come from issues after a bad handstand... so if they are just falling into a giant... then there will probably be no deduction.

Both errors E & F lead to big pirouette deductions. Since the body is not "stacked"... it does not "unstack" in a controlled way... it "falls" or "whips" or "snaps" down.

There is insufficient amplitude of kip casts or something like that too... I'd have to look.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back