Parents Lets debate State vs States because well just to talk about something elese

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
Just starting a new conversations that has nothing to do with Corona..

So.. obviously we have seen tons of posts in regards to State championships being cancelled and therefore have seen the phrase "States has been cancelled" and "State has been cancelled"..

Which is correct? I use State Championships or State meet. And yes i will admit it is hard for me to say "States"..

Ready set go! What do you think?

We say "States" on Long Island. By the way it's also "Regionals", "Nationals" and even "Olympics". So why not States?

We say "States" on Long Island. By the way it's also "Regionals", "Nationals" and even "Olympics". So why not States?
Well my reasoning as to why it is NOT "states" is that Regionals, Nationals, Westerns, etc are multiple states competing. State is one state. But that is just my own reasoning. It does not sound correct saying my daughter is competing at states..knowing it is only kids in one state competing. LOL

Well my reasoning as to why it is NOT "states" is that Regionals, Nationals, Westerns, etc are multiple states competing. State is one state. But that is just my own reasoning. It does not sound correct saying my daughter is competing at states..knowing it is only kids in one state competing. LOL
But Regionals is only one region, Nationals is only one Nation...

I thought we said "States" Like "I qualified for States" and "State Meet" when saying "I am driving to my State meet." The difference being whether or not you say "Meet."

But my sons said I am crazy and it is always "State" whether you say meet or not. And usually, not.

I grew up in New York State, and they are born and raised Californians. Maybe there is a regional difference I never shook?

As far as plural v singular, California is split in two, so maybe ours should be "Sta". SoCal can have Te with or without the s. ;)

And many states have multiple State meets (Compulsory State, Optional State, Xcel State ... or Specific subgroups of those). So while a single gymnast has their State Meet, the individual state are cancelling ALL the State Meets ... therefore States is an acceptable way to phrase it IF you are not also using the word Meets. ;)

And many states have multiple State meets (Compulsory State, Optional State, Xcel State ... or Specific subgroups of those). So while a single gymnast has their State Meet, the individual state are cancelling ALL the State Meets ... therefore States is an acceptable way to phrase it IF you are not also using the word Meets. ;)
Yes they have that here. I would phrase it that they are cancel all the state meets, it would sound weird to say they are cancelling all the states? LOL so strange! But kind of a fun thing to do while stuck at home :)

I thought we said "States" Like "I qualified for States" and "State Meet" when saying "I am driving to my State meet." The difference being whether or not you say "Meet."

But my sons said I am crazy and it is always "State" whether you say meet or not. And usually, not.

I grew up in New York State, and they are born and raised Californians. Maybe there is a regional difference I never shook?

As far as plural v singular, California is split in two, so maybe ours should be "Sta". SoCal can have Te with or without the s. ;)
Love it! I really think you are correct when you say it is based on where you grew up! ha ha! I like the idea of Sta and Te LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back