Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
Does your gym have one?
How does it work?

If not do you feel your gym needs one?
What do you do for parent involvement?
How do you fundraise?

My son's gym currently does not have a boosters but it has been mentioned recently due to low parent involvement.

Our gym just started one mainly so we could have more control finding cheaper flights and hotels for the coaches and to off set the cost of the coaches fees. This will be the 2nd year of the booster and the first year that it will benefit everyone. It will save us about $400-$500 on competition fees.

We have a big, active booster club. It is not tied to the gym, but is for gymnast in any/all gyms in the area.

My only caveat would be that if you are seeing low parental involvement, that is not likely to change with a booster club.

In my area there is a strong correlation w/ the gyms having booster clubs costing their members a lot more money in assessments and time commitment versus those that do not have boosters. I would prefer my daughter's gym did not have a booster club as it makes what I pay for gym and the work that I must do so much more burdensome - especially having other children in activities. She likes it at her gym and they have good equipment so I have to deal with it though, but I am not a fan.

I am a member of a couple other booster clubs for other kids activities and they are run so much better and transparently, and actually save their members money - I am unsure why the gymnastics boosters seem so secretive, political and overpriced compared to these other organizations, but they really do.

In my area there is a strong correlation w/ the gyms having booster clubs costing their members a lot more money in assessments and time commitment versus those that do not have boosters. I would prefer my daughter's gym did not have a booster club as it makes what I pay for gym and the work that I must do so much more burdensome - especially having other children in activities. She likes it at her gym and they have good equipment so I have to deal with it though, but I am not a fan.

I am a member of a couple other booster clubs for other kids activities and they are run so much better and transparently, and actually save their members money - I am unsure why the gymnastics boosters seem so secretive, political and overpriced compared to these other organizations, but they really do.

We are fortunate. We give no money to our booster club...we just benefit from the booster club. I love it.

Skschlag- can you go into more detail? Do you just fundraise to get the benefits of the booster club? How does the booster club raise the funds to offset parent expenses?

I wish we didn't need to have a booster club but we had to fight for it and the owner finally let us have one...before that the cost of competitions was going from double to triple what it was when we started at the gym, not to mention our tuition is the highest out of any gym in the area. We didn't know what the money we paid was going for. Now we get a break down of what our money goes for. It's only the second year and we need A LOT of money. Hopefully we are able to raise what we need. :)

I agree with a previous poster that the booster club won't really change parental involvement. We've been at 2 gyms that have them and 1 the doesn't. The gym that doesn't is run very well and the costs are much lower than the clubs with a booster. To encourage parental involvement, parents are required to either volunteer at home meets or pay ($25 or $50 per meet I can't remember). They should almost charge a little more because it sounds like a lot of people just pay the fee. BTW, the gym without the booster is also bigger, cleaner, and has much nicer equipment.

I agree with a previous poster that the booster club won't really change parental involvement. We've been at 2 gyms that have them and 1 the doesn't. The gym that doesn't is run very well and the costs are much lower than the clubs with a booster. To encourage parental involvement, parents are required to either volunteer at home meets or pay ($25 or $50 per meet I can't remember). They should almost charge a little more because it sounds like a lot of people just pay the fee. BTW, the gym without the booster is also bigger, cleaner, and has much nicer equipment.
True but at least now we get to search for and book cheaper flights and hotels so that it saves everyone money. Before the booster club the gym had control and used our money without regard to cost of things. Now we can be more frugal. Also some of our mats need to be replaced and the gym has not replaced them so the booster club is planning on buying some much needed equipment if we raise enough.

True but at least now we get to search for and book cheaper flights and hotels so that it saves everyone money. Before the booster club the gym had control and used our money without regard to cost of things. Now we can be more frugal. Also some of our mats need to be replaced and the gym has not replaced them so the booster club is planning on buying some much needed equipment if we raise enough.

COuple of things here...why was the gym booking flights? Our coaches are still booked by the gyms.....and charged to the parents.

Second....if you are going to be a 501c3 booster, you have to be very very careful about buying equipment for a for-profit gym. THere are some specific rules around that, and our non-profit lawyer told us not to do that. We do donate to the high school clubs as they are non-profit as well, but we do not buy equipment that will help the gym make money.

COuple of things here...why was the gym booking flights? Our coaches are still booked by the gyms.....and charged to the parents.

Second....if you are going to be a 501c3 booster, you have to be very very careful about buying equipment for a for-profit gym. THere are some specific rules around that, and our non-profit lawyer told us not to do that. We do donate to the high school clubs as they are non-profit as well, but we do not buy equipment that will help the gym make money.
The gym booster club is now booking flights and the equipment- I know the people in charge and they research everything so if it goes against the 301c they won't do it. All I know is that because we have fundraised to pay coaches expenses my competition fees have been reduced by $400! Yeah!

Reactions: sce
The Booster Club cannot buy equipment for the gym, it violates the 501c3 rules. The Booster Club cannot benefit the for-profit club. Here is info from USAG about non-profit Boost Clubs: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Member Services/webinars/dec14.pdf

We are fortunate. We give no money to our booster club...we just benefit from the booster club. I love it.

We pay our assessments through the booster club, because all fundraising offsets the assessments. Example - old gym JO L4 assessments were $1200 for 5 meets and state. One of which was an overnight but driving distance. New gym - assessments for the same is about $450 with the offset by fundraising. We hold a Gala, a fun run, and the boosters run all but one of the meets we host, which is our largest source of income.

Was in the sport for 17 years of JO gyms, and hands down, would take a no booster club gym any day....it was less expensive for coach fees, tuition, meet fees, leos, and had one of the nicest facilities in the area. After having been in both scenarios (with/without boosters), I can only conclude that gyms that charge through the nose with a booster club are making a profit for themselves, period.

If it wasn't for our booster club we would not be able to continue to have our daughter enrolled at her gym. We pay no fees towards our booster club however they cover ALL the meet fees (including through nationals, if any girls should make it) and all coaches fees. And while it can be a lot of work to work all the meets and do all the fundraisers for me it is totally worth it. I would much rather work at meets and do some fundraisers than to have to pay even more money for meet fees and coaches fees.

Was in the sport for 17 years of JO gyms, and hands down, would take a no booster club gym any day....it was less expensive for coach fees, tuition, meet fees, leos, and had one of the nicest facilities in the area. After having been in both scenarios (with/without boosters), I can only conclude that gyms that charge through the nose with a booster club are making a profit for themselves, period.
That is what I don't understand, having a booster club but having to PAY the booster club?!?! We have a booster club that covers all meet fees and all coaches fees for all level 4-10 gymnasts, we pay nothing to the booster club, but we are required to work at all the meets and do the fundraisers throughout the year.

That is what I don't understand, having a booster club but having to PAY the booster club?!?! We have a booster club that covers all meet fees and all coaches fees for all level 4-10 gymnasts, we pay nothing to the booster club, but we are required to work at all the meets and do the fundraisers throughout the year.

In the gym with the booster club, monthly tuition was $550 per kid (I had 2 there) , leos every year $400 (x 2); warm ups every year $250 (x 2), assessments for meet fees $3000 per kid ( x 2), AND we were charged EXTRA for States $65 (x2), Regionals $100( (x 2) and Nationals ( ranged from $550-850, told the amount on a Thursday and "due by Monday" ...4 days later...and both my girls qualified :eek:) ...the fees alone were over $8000 and on top of that, I had to work endless shifts at their meet (x 2 because I had 2 girls) and they had the balls to try to charge me admission for the session they competed in, that I wasn't working....I saw about 300 bucks from that endeavor. I could work at my regular job for the weekend and make more. Our HC decided that the gym ( read: him) would get " the profits from the meet if we wanted the gym's name associated with the meet and the booster club could get the profits from the concessions"...and the booster club officers agreed to this!!...the profits from meet fees, and admission fees were huge, the concession stand didn't hold a candle to that...and the parents did all the work! HC took a percentage of all booster club profit as basically a "fee" for having the gym's name associated with it. Sorry, but that didn't work for me...

We moved to a gym with no booster club....tuition 350 a kid, 200 for a leo, assessments of 1200, and no extra fees for states, regionals or nationals...we paid what we owed, period and weren't slaving at meets for pennies. Give me this gym anyday.

In the gym with the booster club, monthly tuition was $550 per kid (I had 2 there) , leos every year $400 (x 2); warm ups every year $250 (x 2), assessments for meet fees $3000 per kid ( x 2), AND we were charged EXTRA for States $65 (x2), Regionals $100( (x 2) and Nationals ( ranged from $550-850, told the amount on a Thursday and "due by Monday" ...4 days later...and both my girls qualified :eek:) ...the fees alone were over $8000 and on top of that, I had to work endless shifts at their meet (x 2 because I had 2 girls) and they had the balls to try to charge me admission for the session they competed in, that I wasn't working....I saw about 300 bucks from that endeavor. I could work at my regular job for the weekend and make more. Our HC decided that the gym ( read: him) would get " the profits from the meet if we wanted the gym's name associated with the meet and the booster club could get the profits from the concessions"...and the booster club officers agreed to this!!...the profits from meet fees, and admission fees were huge, the concession stand didn't hold a candle to that...and the parents did all the work! HC took a percentage of all booster club profit as basically a "fee" for having the gym's name associated with it. Sorry, but that didn't work for me...

We moved to a gym with no booster club....tuition 350 a kid, 200 for a leo, assessments of 1200, and no extra fees for states, regionals or nationals...we paid what we owed, period and weren't slaving at meets for pennies. Give me this gym anyday.
That is crazy!! We pay about $60o per month for our daughter (about $100 more per month than the regular JO girls due to her extra HOPES training hours), we pay nothing to the booster club (no assessments or booster club dues) but we are required to work at all 3 meets that we host as well as participate in the smaller fundraisers we hold throughout the year, we don't pay any meet fees or any coaches fees but we do pay for competition leos (one every two years) and warmups if/when needed. I couldn't imagine being forced to pay thousands of dollars to the booster club and still being required to work the meets but not seeing any of the reward. Our booster club hosts one of the meets that we host (a compulsory meet) and the booster club gets 100% of the profits from that meet, the other two meets that we host (an optional meet and usually one of the state meets) and we split the profits made from those meets with the gym (since the gym doesn't have to hire people to work the meets, it's the booster club members working the meets) and we also get 100% of the profits from the concessions stand at both of those meets. We also do a color run every year and host smaller fundraisers throughout the year (butter braids, frozen pizzas, plant sale, used leo sale), and the past couple of years the booster club has raised over $100,000. We are now looking into trying to get corporate yearly sponsors, but that is in the very early stages.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back