Parents Level 2 - 12 hrs/week training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NS1212

Proud Parent
Hi,
I'm new to this team gymnastics. My daughter, who is 5, was on pre team at her gym and was training 5 hrs/week. She was invited to Level 2 (by a letter in her mailbox), which requires 3, 4 hour sessions per week.

Does this seem like a lot of hours for Level 2 and for a 5 year old?

I'm concerned about the hours of training for such a young girl.

Yes - that's quite a lot for that level and age. My daughter did 4 hours a week at old level 3/new 2 and did just fine at competitions.

yes - but I'm in the UK so its different. My DD is approx level 6 equivalent and is training 9 hours a week over 4 days, she is 10.

Is she in kindergarten this year or starting next year? I'm not sure how it is where you are, but kindergarten is full day here. My very energetic dd was exhausted for the first month or so, transitioning from running around outside all day to being stuck inside for 7 hours straight. She still did fine in the gym, but if your dd will also be changing school hours, you may want to let her do one transition at a time.

That is 1 more hour a week than my 10 yr old L4. I'm curious, how many hours do your L4's train? Because it would be good to look forward to see what will be required of her in the future.

I think that's too many hours for a 5 yr old. Our level 2's do 6 hours. I think the youngest is 6 yrs old in first grade.

Thanks everyone. Yes, she will be starting kindergarten in the fall, which is 7 hours/day.
Level 4's train the same amount, 12 hours. I have not found any other gyms in the state that train Level 2's this many hours.

She will be going to school 8am-3pm, then gymnastics 4:30-8:30pm (twice during the week, then Sat mornings for 4 hours), prob in bed by 10pm during the weeknight trainings. It seems like so much to ask of a 5 year old.

My husband sees nothing wrong with her training this many hours and we have been arguing over this.

I just want to keep her in pre team, 5 hours a week for another year.

ITA! DD started level 4 (old) at age 6 at 9 hours a week and didn't go 12 hours a week (level 5) until she was 8. Even 9 hours was a big adjustment for her. I'd be curious to know why they think little ones training level 2 need to go that many hours? DD's gym starts competing at level 3 (old 4), so I have no idea what skills they need for level 2.

Would there be an option to start off at her current hours, then bump up if you feel she is more ready after she is settled in at school? Or let her try a few 4 hour sessions over the summer to see if she would even be able to handle 4 hours straight?

My DD started kindergarten this year, and Level 2, as well as a conditioning program, so she was there several hours (though still not 12), and has done fine. That said, there is no way I would have wanted to have her at 4 hour practices and in bed by 10. She needs her sleep (as do all kids) and is in bed by 8 each night, 8:15 at the latest, and can still be hard to wake up in the mornings for school.

Wow.. that is a LOT for that level. My 5 and 7 year old both moved to L3 team and are training 3 hours 3 days a week. I think a bump from 5 to 12 seems like it will be hard on her.

That seems like a lot of hours. My DD only trains 3 hours/week (pre-team) and is doing mostly Level 2 skills (gym does not compete L2). But it's a small training group so they are pretty much on the equipment the entire time (4-6 girls depending on the day).

She's in bed by 7:30, though, so I can't fathom her doing much more than 2 hours/night at this point.

Thanks everyone. It seems the consensus is it is way too much.
I haven't even met the Level 2 coaches - we just got a letter that said she was selected and to show up on a specific date.
Her current pre team consists of 20+ girls. It is packed. Is that a large class for a pre team?

This is all so new to me. Thanks for all your input.

I totally agree..... too much for a five year old (and this is from someone who has been questioned for allowing her kid to train what she has.) While at 25 hours a week now as a 9 year old, at 5 she trained 5 hours, and at 6 started at 6 hours then moved to 9 half way through the year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back